tekobo

Brisket epiphany

The Husband is compiling a list of things that you should be told when you leave home.  It includes spending a bit more to buy commercial kitchen equipment - the kit is more efficient and lasts you forever.  He added grilling sweetcorn in its skin to the list last year.  He now has something new to add: eat slow cooked, smoked brisket, whenever and wherever you can.

I have embarked on a journey to explore the American BBQ lexicon.  We had pulled pork the other day.  It was good, but it confirmed what I already knew.  I don't like soft, slightly sweet meat.  So I wasn't that excited about my brisket experiment.  We don't do much with brisket here in the UK.  It gets rolled into a joint and roasted slowly and that's about it.  I normally get it to make salt beef and enjoy the novelty of a sandwich made with a thick warm slice of salt beef and pickles and things.  My mouth is watering as I think about it.  Anyway, this time, I got the butcher to leave the brisket flat so that I could try it on the KK.  It came from a small breed of cow called a Dexter so it weighed in at just 2kg (approx 4.5lb). 

Here is the brisket with its beautiful yellow fat cap on.

fullsizeoutput_890.thumb.jpeg.3cce85b419855926da1b039ba90e0516.jpeg

Trimmed up and ready to go.  I followed instructions from the Meathead book for how it should look and House rub recipe from the UK Pitt Cue Co book.

fullsizeoutput_892.thumb.jpeg.d425b0c3b2aa62c112d11782f91ed8de.jpeg

Here is the gorgeous baby after it had rested.  You will have to take my word for it, I didn't remember to take a photo while it was in the KK.

5a5f2726e49d0_QeMG9SDQTKWgkdEGHizAQ.thumb.jpg.8452db6e66c6f178f204d0a322129998.jpg

As you will see, there is no sign of the pointy end in this next photo.  The Husband and I just stood at the counter and devoured it with our fingers.  Awesome.  We've checked in the freezer and we have one flat Dexter brisket and two rolled Longhorn briskets.  We now know what their future holds!

F5hye7n1T5OmNndlnDcdjw.thumb.jpg.3cc7478433e3879202a61707ea8e9f94.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@Bruce Pearson, none left!  I yummed it all up!  @MacKenzie, I used to snort at those pics where people would say "it looks dry but it isn't".  Now I know they were telling the truth!  @5698k, thanks for the referral to the Franklin video.  Will try their simple approach to rub next.  We were in Austin a few years ago and drove past the queue at Franklins.  I remember they were handing out pink umbrellas because it was raining.  We thought, "crazy Americans/tourists" and drove on.  Thanks to the KK I can now get close to what I missed.  :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

@Bruce Pearson, none left!  I yummed it all up!  @MacKenzie, I used to snort at those pics where people would say "it looks dry but it isn't".  Now I know they were telling the truth!  @5698k, thanks for the referral to the Franklin video.  Will try their simple approach to rub next.  We were in Austin a few years ago and drove past the queue at Franklins.  I remember they were handing out pink umbrellas because it was raining.  We thought, "crazy Americans/tourists" and drove on.  Thanks to the KK I can now get close to what I missed.  :)

You can now make better on your KK!!   ;-)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DennisLinkletter said:

You can now make better on your KK!!   ;-)

Ha ha. I have not been to Franklins and so could not claim to be better but I have to say that standing in my kitchen with my husband eating home cooked brisket was a great experience.  I have a rule that I don't eat out in places that don't give me a better experience than I get at home.  The KKs might mean that I get to go out less and less.

That's a pretty picture.  Now for the weekend, Philly at home is always a good thing, shoulda been New Orleans there but for a stroke of bad luck it didn't happen. New England and the Jags really don't match up except in hype, so the prediction is New England and Philly squaring up again in the Super Bowl. You know brisket is always good for Super Bowl parties, chicken wings and a few other things. Enjoy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Now for the weekend, Philly at home is always a good thing, shoulda been New Orleans there but for a stroke of bad luck it didn't happen. New England and the Jags really don't match up except in hype, so the prediction is New England and Philly squaring up again in the Super Bowl.

I am sort of kinda hoping that the rest of the stretch stays unpredictable. Don't want what feels like the inevitable outcome of all of this.  We have to stay up until about 3am to see the whole of the Superbowl so a bit of competition is needed to keep us awake.  Oh yes, and good food!

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:47 AM, tekobo said:

The Husband and I just stood at the counter and devoured it with our fingers.

18 hours ago, tekobo said:

I have to say that standing in my kitchen with my husband eating home cooked brisket was a great experience.

Crazy Americans?!!! I think you're fitting right in.

Hey tekobo how come there's no plated pics? Oh wait, I know...you went all caveman and ate it standing up - off the cutting board - with your bare hands!! I bet you used the dish towel as a napkin also...right?!!

• Haha 1