tekobo

KK Cooks Japanese

One of my best friends asked me to cook Japanese for her birthday.  I know she loves tempura and that she wanted me to cook her favourite, black cod, but she got none of that.  Instead she, and our other friends, got a KK adventure.  It was fun to do and really delicious on the night.  No plated shots and there would have been no shots at all but for the fact that one of our number is young and took these photos for one of those social media sites - Snapchat or Instagram or something.

Started with a drink from my favourite bar tender, The Husband.  It is from the PDT book and uses red pepper and shiso.  Unusual and really delicious.

image6-2.thumb.jpeg.05b15d5934604442d4cd4e601421b5d6.jpeg

Here's how to make tofu delicious.  Smear it in white miso, add chopped shiso to some and ground up black sesame seeds to others and grill real hot on the KK.

image8-2.thumb.jpeg.cfc089e5d0d52bf4b31791125e5ef0ae.jpeg

Throw in a bit of seafood.  We live near the sea and the local fish market did us proud with some super fresh fish.  We were going to try to do lobster sashimi but the weather had been too bad for lobster fishing so we got some langoustine instead - super sweet raw.  I know this all looks expensive but it isn't in the small quantities you need for each course and when you get your stuff from the source. 

image2-2.thumb.jpeg.ecfc2ad5a101a514cd0167fd5a92cf6f.jpeg

The Japanese grill book says to throw the clams on the grill.  I wasn't so brave and used my tagine instead.  So good. 

image12.thumb.jpeg.80664a7f0a913cd75b1896a45cee04db.jpeg

These baby squid were marinaded in soy sauce and we lost a couple as they dropped between the bars at the start.  Cooked super fast - 2 mins each side - they were a delight.  One of our number loved the charred one I was able to rescue from the coals!  For the eagle eyed amongst you, the crud on the bars is from the prawn course that we don't have any photos for. 

image14.thumb.jpeg.1aeb63037e9e0b61d69f5354d539af7b.jpeg

Broke up all that fishiness with a bit of mushroom.

image3.thumb.jpeg.3c14fc91b6ed132ee78e824f637b3431.jpeg

And finally, a spicy sizzling scallop dish to finish. 

image7.thumb.jpeg.7311e73d5b164db57cb03b7fa5202d9d.jpeg

Thank you KK.  It really was fun to do and eat.  Everything had to be done quickly, reliably and on point and the KK did not let me down.  

• Like 5

Thanks all.  I mustn't forget to give credit where credit is due.  The interesting tofu, mushroom and scallop dishes came from a Japanese lady who taught me how to do sushi and cook Japanese.  Her name is Reiko Hashimoto and she has since published a great book called Hashi so I no longer have to rely on my food spattered notes.  The rest came from the Japanese Grill book that has been recommended elsewhere in this forum.  It is a real eye opener and I look forward to exploring all the fun ways that the Japanese make grilled food good.