Tyrus

Jerky

I like to have a supply beef jerky in the fridge, it gives an excuse to open it's door whenever I pass by without the guilt associated with it,  it's such a good snack. Did a low slow cook of about 150 for 2 and 1/2 hrs then brought it up to 200 to finish.  I cut the meat a little thicker and soaked them in Iron Chef Sweet chili for a few days then finished with an additional amount in a storage bag. The sauce is very good, sweet with a little heat, and is great on wings too. The KK maintained the low temp with no problem using lump, although I didn't think that was surprising. That is one of the pleasurable advantages I do enjoy about my KK. There would have been more to show if it wasn't for the plate thieves. 

DSCF2041.JPG

DSCF2039.JPG

DSCF2042.JPG

DSCF2044.JPG

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, tekobo said:

I can just imagine their chewy sweetness.  Very nice.  What cut of beef did you use?

Bottom round, but you can a London broil or sirloin. I go with something in between because the object is to dry it out somewhat and that toughens the meat. I don't cure the meat as they do wit chemical in store bought brands, gone in a week or two

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tyrus said:

I like to have a supply beef jerky in the fridge, it gives an excuse to open it's door whenever I pass by without the guilt associated with it,  it's such a good snack. Did a low slow cook of about 150 for 2 and 1/2 hrs then brought it up to 200 to finish.  I cut the meat a little thicker and soaked them in Iron Chef Sweet chili for a few days then finished with an additional amount in a storage bag. The sauce is very good, sweet with a little heat, and is great on wings too. The KK maintained the low temp with no problem using lump, although I didn't think that was surprising. That is one of the pleasurable advantages I do enjoy about my KK. There would have been more to show if it wasn't for the plate thieves. 

DSCF2041.JPG

DSCF2039.JPG

DSCF2042.JPG

DSCF2044.JPG

Nice job there tyrus I have never done jerky what cut of meat did you use I would think very lean cut 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tekobo said:

I can just imagine their chewy sweetness.  Very nice.  What cut of beef did you use?

I forgot, Teriyaki works really good too with brown sugar added, gets deep into he meat. 1/8 inch slices are recommended. If you ever try, go for temps 180-200 degrees and keep the meat towards the center, the outside perimeter has a tendency to blacken. Wood smoke is good too and use a deflector. Good day

R u a betting person?  Oh, it always makes things interesting when something is on the line. A friendly bet.....if the Eagles win I send a spice to you from the states { suggestions are welcome } and if the Pats win a spice from your area you deem favorable. Nothing more nothing less. One condition, don't tell Dennis, this may be considered like on line betting. OK 

29 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Really looks delicious and just think no preservatives 

Yes. When in Tahoe we visited a Jerky store that sold jerky from all kinds of exotic meats. Some were tough and hard to chew, dry and overall made my jaw muscles ache as we drove down to Palm desert on 395. Well, about halfway we came across another Jerky store in the middle of nowhere in the desert, bikers all over the place, we later found out that it was a popular stop. You know you can't pass up a something like that. Bought some more and this was easier to chew. They all had the common denominator of preservatives so to make a long story short....you can do it at home

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

R u a betting person? 

Is the pope Catholic?

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

A friendly bet.....if the Eagles win I send a spice to you from the states { suggestions are welcome } and if the Pats win a spice from your area you deem favorable.

You're on! I have just the spice to send to you but I am not planning on losing.  My knowledge of US spices is limited to Old Bay, Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, El Yucateco chile habanero hot sauce and La Morena chipotle peppers.  Great if you have something that will expand my horizons beyond this mainstream selection.  

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

One condition, don't tell Dennis, this may be considered like on line betting. OK 

Mum's the word.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tekobo said:

Is the pope Catholic?

You're on! I have just the spice to send to you but I am not planning on losing.  My knowledge of US spices is limited to Old Bay, Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, El Yucateco chile habanero hot sauce and La Morena chipotle peppers.  Great if you have something that will expand my horizons beyond this mainstream selection.  

Mum's the word.

Good, but I don't anticipate on losing either. Whatever is within my reach and if I have to reach out a little further, no problem. Let the game begin.................................................................................................a week away

• Like 1