BonFire

Oh oh

Sorry guys been busy, have been holding off on pulling the trigger (to my detriment, AU$ has tripped-up a bit since i first talked with Dennis) because i was hoping to get the same colour as in pic. on the 25th. Dennis explained to me kiln process effects some colours to come out a certain way (or shade of :-(), 

Anyway the man is exactly as all people have been saying, great to deal with and will be conversing with him again real soon.

• Like 2

Hi Bonfire yes hard choice. Glad we have another Perth person onboard. I purchased the 23 last year. I cook for 2adults and 3 kids every weekend and the 23 is more than sufficient for this. Most of the time I have the basket splitter for these cooks. Only have a full basket for Sunday pizza.
When I have family over, we are entertaining 12-14 adults and 10-14 kids. The 23 is fine. I normally would do a Boston butt and ribs take that off and wrap it. That stays warm for a while. Then do some red meat, sausages, chicken.... whatever. It’s plenty of food.
So far I have been able to cope easily with the 23.
The 32 is great. If I had to do again I may have gone that route.
That said, geez the 23 was hard to move in the first place. I had to go through the house the first time. Then we built a pool so had to get it across lawn and then lift up steps to get it to the new area. That was hard work. The 32 would have been worse. This thing is not moving anymore.

Good luck and let us know you get on. Happy to share my experience with shipping. I spoke Dennis about a few things I learnt in that process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input tangles, i still haven't decided for sure, but i'm 90% in the BB32 camp, only because i'm the type of person if i can go the extra 20% then go for it.

Only thing that scares me with the BB32 is its weight on my backyard surface which is a product called "Stoneset", but there is a way around this after talking with Dennis, and getting that beast into my backyard would be straightforward as well (all downhill).

After what you mentioned about output you can get from the 23, maybe i am smashing an ant with a sledgehammer, especially since i will still have the BigJoe

Edited by BonFire

As I always say.. if you want to cook low and slow for a crowd.. the 23" Ultimate has great capacity.. Brisket, butts and ribs..

If you want to "Grill" for a crowd the 23" is limited by it's size.  You just can't throw on 6-8 steaks and vegetables...

The 32" and 42" are great GRILLS which also have more low and slow capacity than most will ever need.  The 32" is no slower nor does it use noticeably more fuel. Outside of the 20% more in cost and almost twice the weight there is no downside I can think of to getting a 32" Big Bad..  It's all I cook on these days. I pretty much leave the basket splitter in at 50%.. even when I low and slow.

That being said, If you want to work a bit you could reverse sear 6-8 steaks and then brown them up three at a time. Gets the job done, but there is a reason there are no 23" gas grills on the market.. it's too small.

• Like 3

Thanks for the input tangles, i still haven't decided for sure, but i'm 90% in the BB32 camp, only because i'm the type of person if i can go the extra 20% then go for it.
Only thing that scares me with the BB32 is its weight on my backyard surface which is a product called "Stoneset", but there is a way around this after talking with Dennis, and getting that beast into my backyard would be straightforward as well (all downhill).
After what you mentioned about output you can get from the 23, maybe i am smashing an ant with a sledgehammer, especially since i will still have the BigJoe

I love my 23 but if I had to do again I would probably be convinced to go 32. Also get all the kit the first time. I am thinking of getting the spit roti now. I got the cradle but didn’t get the spit the first time.
Anyway you should get the 32 as I believe you would be the only Perth person with one. That would be something to be proud of. Haha. I would trust what Dennis says. If he uses the 32 everyday then sounds good to me.
I have seen stone set around and would have thought it could handle the weight. How thick is it and what is underneath it. I had mine on 50mm concrete pavers. It’s now on 30mm travertine over a compacted pad of 30mm cracker dust and concrete slab in my pool area. Ultimately it’s a show piece so creating a home for it is part of the fun. Seriously your visitors will be blown away by its beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The Stoneset has got 100mm compacted cracker dust then they layed these plastic mats about 600mm x 600mm by 30mm thick which are then filled with 15-20 stones (helps drainage), then on top is the stones of your selected colour 10-15mm  mixed in a resin, plastered on like on a wall. Cars and small trucks no worries, but its got a bit of give. What i like about it is that its got the rustic look and its porous (hence the give or softness, when a fair bit of weight is concentrated in a small spot )  rain or hose just soaks away here's a link i hope

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjzpM2Irt7ZAhVBE5QKHYhKCv8QFggqMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stoneset.com.au%2F&usg=AOvVaw1eyUjXfD-Iz_4pKOsm0fFi

Really want one for the superior cooks. And look after it, my great grandkids will be using it in 2054.....watching the Socceroos in the semis 

Edited by BonFire
no need

Hey tangles might need any advice you have on shipping and delivery, if you can send me a pm would be very appreciated.

Just got off the phone with Dennis and was a pleasure to deal with, told me having lots of interest lately from Oz, with 2 defo's heading for Fremantle :-D:-D

The Stoneset has got 100mm compacted cracker dust then they layed these plastic mats about 600mm x 600mm by 30mm thick which are then filled with 15-20 stones (helps drainage), then on top is the stones of your selected colour 10-15mm  mixed in a resin, plastered on like on a wall. Cars and small trucks no worries, but its got a bit of give. What i like about it is that its got the rustic look and its porous (hence the give or softness, when a fair bit of weight is concentrated in a small spot )  rain or hose just soaks away here's a link i hope
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjzpM2Irt7ZAhVBE5QKHYhKCv8QFggqMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stoneset.com.au%2F&usg=AOvVaw1eyUjXfD-Iz_4pKOsm0fFi
Really want one for the superior cooks. And look after it, my great grandkids will be using it in 2054.....watching the Socceroos in the semis 

Umm.. so you are looking at approx 110kg on each wheel. I would have to go back to my physics books to calculate what that means in terms of force. Wonder if stone set specify what force it can tolerate.
Otherwise I would put down some large stone slabs ie travertine, granite or sandstone and then out the kk on top of that. That will spread the load I guess. Once again I would need to look up what translates into force wise but placing on a slab would spread it out.
Been a lot of beers and a very long time since I did physics in school....

Hey tangles might need any advice you have on shipping and delivery, if you can send me a pm would be very appreciated.
Just got off the phone with Dennis and was a pleasure to deal with, told me having lots of interest lately from Oz, with 2 defo's heading for Fremantle :-D:-D

Done

Let me know if you don’t get the PM. Not sure if it worked

On the physics side of things (statics, actually), because the weight is centered between the four contact points with a slight angle of the legs, not all the weight will be transmitted in a downward force, some will be lateral. The split is dependent upon the angle of the legs. Not curious enough myself to go measure it (deck still has snow on it right now!), but you get the basic idea. Just trigonometry. 

• Like 1

There’s no much by the way of technical specifications on the stone set website. It does say it can handle small delivery trucks and cars. So based on that a family SUV of 2500kg you will have 625kg per wheel. The car wheel surface is much great than the kk so the load is spread out more.

If you stick them on some stone slabs or something similar I am sure you will be okay.

Congrats bonfire for heading in the right direction .

your pavement will be fine its a BBQ not a semi trailer. as for size all depends on how many you feed .next is your butcher .there are two main players in Perth warnbro quality meats and troys both can be easily found on Facebook but being a freo guy Raymond will be closer and provide these.fbcd87185a0a8fde26def0023ba7ab69.jpg

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

The 32 is really the way to go.  I have cooked on original kamados (pre-Big Green Egg) and California Kamados (1980's vintage) for years but getting the 32KK has been a revelation in cooking.  Big and heavy (rolls easily) yes, but as a disabled veteran of 72 yrs of youth I still love it.

IMG_2760.thumb.JPG.f50d4ac3d7fc9d2a12ddab481afe67c5.JPGIMG_2895.thumb.JPG.65688655639fdd9ea52ccc3fa1278f46.JPGIMG_2896.thumb.JPG.72ebb75c727f2c08886342f33456618a.JPGIMG_2904.thumb.JPG.1b67bde708da95d477e3ce107d3a87ba.JPG

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BonFire said:

Darn that looks good, was trying to make out what finish was on your side tables...looks like copper in that last photo, then realised its the reflection on the stainless.

I really can't wait :cool:

It is hammered copper covers for the stainless steel and teak.