Smokydave

Oh so good Picanha

In a bunch of posts I've lamented my not finding good sources of quality, reasonably priced meat in my area.  I just can't find the same cuts some of you do.  I've now found a source for a few things at an ethnic food store about 45 minutes from me.  They seem to be a purveyor of Hispanic and Latin American/South American items.  In last night's cook, I put on some picanha (sirloin cap), which I was absolutely stunned to find.  I've had it a dozen times at places like Fogo de Chao and it is absolutely delicious.  I wasn't sure how it would turn out since I can't cook like these "churrascaria" with their spits and open flames, but I gave it a shot.

I decided to put the meat on a skewer and rig it in the roti basket so I could get close to the "real thing", but ran into problems within seconds.  The skewer was too long and stopped the basket from spinning.  So I took it all apart and just threw the skewered meat on the grate.

Cutting to the chase--it was freaking awesome!  The meat was tender and had great flavor.  My boys were even eating the fat.  If you've never cooked this cut, please do yourself a favor and try it.  We had it with twice baked potatoes, carrots, broccoli, and chimichurri sauce.

First two pics show my jury-rigged setup and the last is the finished meat.  Meat is dark because I sprinkled with salt the day before and let it dry-brine. 

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It wasn't too long ago, someone asked about cooking with the top up and Dennis mentioned about one person who did do a considerable amount of cooking with the lid up and did a lot of damage to the KK. Sometimes just because one can do something doesn't mean they should. 

I'd love to see alimac get a KK. I am certain he will thrilled with it. The food tastes wonderful, it takes things to the next level.:) 

I seem to recall an old thread where we were discussing the Rodizio and I think that we came to the conclusion that it wouldn't fit on a KK - not enough clearance under the lid. But, I don't know if we were just looking at 23's and 32's. I'm pretty sure that the monster 42" wasn't out yet. So, it might work in one of those??

Update: Went looking. Now I remember, it was a Kickstarter campaign we were discussing for the Carson Rodizio. It didn't get funded on Kickstarter - not enough backers. I looked into it and thought it was too expensive for my blood (basic kit was like $500!) Plus, the issues of whether or not it would even work on a KK, despite their claims of working on a BGE. 

Edited by tony b

There was an article in which someone asked about cooking with the lid open and Dennis posted, the KK is meant to be used with the lid closed. It wasn't all that long ago but I haven't found it yet. 

Here it is- Post from Dennis-

Please remember that the leaving the lid open also runs super heated air over the edge of the acrylic insulation that we use as an adhesive and grout. It will degrade from extended exposure to temps over 400º.  Had a customer in Texas that grilled high temp for extended periods with the lid open and lost his first row of tiles and grout had dry lake cracks going up about 4 rows.  The grill is absolutely designed to cook with the lid mostly closed..

The heated handle will sear definitely your hand too..

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alimac23 said:

I’m still trying to decide between either the cobalt blue or olive gold pebble, hard choices!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is so hard because there are so many beautiful ones to pick from but of one thing I am sure, you will love it no matter which one you choose.

Edited by MacKenzie