tekobo

I like beer!

OK.  So I don't like beer to drink but I think it is awesome for brining chicken.  I had 7kg of wings delivered yesterday and am now brining them before draining and freezing for future "emergency" use.  

Here is the assortment of beers my husband thought he could spare from his collection

rHaj312gSJutySDJ7KJOyQ.thumb.jpg.7b2550d603db77bc4199ee6cc16b0978.jpg

Looking wonderful and frothy with dark demerara sugar and Kosher salt mixed in. (12oz beer to 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon sugar)

5R3IJx2YRiKCwj95V1Lo2A.thumb.jpg.baa9e9ae67cfb597f4b4479b4bc082e3.jpg

The wings, getting to know the brine.

5pwPwO7UR0GIGAigiuKn0w.thumb.jpg.76139ed7053319010f336d68fbf02a99.jpg

A control set of wings in lemon brine, just so I can remind myself how much I like beer!

MLVgUGoSTaiZAHzpwLWNcQ.thumb.jpg.027e45d864dd53789422d6d581b4d53b.jpg

And now I have to wait.  And so will you.  I am sure I will need to break out an emergency supply sometime in the week.  Looking forward to it.  

• Like 3

Those beers look mighty hearty, you can tell by the foam looking thick and rich. How long a soak do you give them? Anxious to see the end results!  By the way I was watching TV last and 5 year old Philly fan was being interviewed. He stated, " When we play the Patriots we have to watch for Tom Brady he's dangerous. When other teams play them in the Super Bowl they lose." We gotta take him out!" He then points to the camera and says, "Cox, that's your job, take him out."  Philly fans have a reputation, they start young.

• Haha 1

I'm almost 50.  Started as a Philly fan when I was in my 20s.  I haven't hurt anyone yet.  But we will win.  I have faith.

Soak? About 6 hours.  Smelled wonderfully yeasty.  Will share results later in the week.  Not sure how long I can hold back but I have a few grown up meals to get through before I can settle into a sticky wings meal for one!

• Like 1

Both versions of the wings are looking goooooood. :) I am just watching a show on Dorset properties. I love that country side, no big cities, no high speed highways, lots of farming, sounds so peaceful. Isn't that where the first beer on the leftside in you collection is brewed?

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

I'm almost 50.  Started as a Philly fan when I was in my 20s.  I haven't hurt anyone yet.  But we will win.  I have faith.

Soak? About 6 hours.  Smelled wonderfully yeasty.  Will share results later in the week.  Not sure how long I can hold back but I have a few grown up meals to get through before I can settle into a sticky wings meal for one!

I like beer too, should of said that earlier. 50? 50's a number and when you come to see that, it really is nothing more than it is, a number. So young lady, whip the post, the eagles post and if I see any feathers down the bottom..well it's all good. I don't bite. NO guarantees though

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

I am just watching a show on Dorset properties. I love that country side, no big cities, no high speed highways, lots of farming, sounds so peaceful. Isn't that where the first beer on the leftside in you collection is brewed?

Disclaimer:  I am a city girl and only ever venture, briefly, into the countryside to pick up meat and return home.  My experience of Dorset is that it certainly has highways and I have generally been driving fast on one to get through Dorset to somewhere else, like Cornwall.  Having said all that, I am sure it is as you saw it on the TV show @MacKenzie.  We Brits tend to think of the UK as a crowded, built up island but there was a recent survey that showed that only 6% of the land in the UK is built on.  Who'd have thunk it?

• Like 1

So, @MacKenzie did a really tasty number with her Spicy Thighs post here 

Great photos and a class act.  For those of us who like things a little hotter and bonier, here is the winged version.

While the KK is getting v hot, make up a Vietnamese slaw.  Shred stuff you like and add some mint.

5a6f94dcb0441_KZMSv426RsOMLrYYaxw.thumb.jpg.190c2505f6fc29a227fecb0020922069.jpg

Make a dressing using a Vietnamese dipping sauce recipe - fish sauce, lime juice, garlic and chillis essential.

5a6f94d648a34_mVwhOApSEuvcb2vpjnWw.thumb.jpg.061ee12009e4db390e55eb2c33a9161a.jpg

Make up the glaze for the wings using this stuff.  2 teaspoons honey to 4 tablespoons oyster sauce and 4 tablespoons chilli sauce.  It makes a lot and can be stored for later use. 

wa2XkZMwT8uk7GrMIWwzRA.thumb.jpg.20794a5be07f5b6347ba01d73d72bc63.jpg

Cook the wings at high temperature.  5 minutes each side.  Then glaze each side and show to the fire briefly to caramelise but avoid burning honey.  The wings are only just cooked and very very tender. 

jLc0QoZGR4uHNFZKnLNbIg.thumb.jpg.229fbeaab76c32961b6f20168ef85262.jpg

Plated shot especially for my friend @Paul

5a6f94ea42ff6_p1D9JGVR46Zhjm0A1rEUg.thumb.jpg.d0e38e907d15f624bebd899e3ad893a6.jpg

• Like 2