Eddie mac

Dual air vent use

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

It's kind of like tinkering with your carburetor, redoing the jets and changing the amount of airflow for better performance. That's what it is, performance. Is the 32 any different for time till it's completely heat soaked vs the 23.?  I heard the 32 is more responsive vs the 23 between temp changes. Seems to me, a question of balance. Good luck

The 32 is more responsive in terms of temp measured at the dome therm. If you’re looking for a rapid rise to grilling temps, the 32 gets you there quickly.

Time to heat soak is a question of how much mass there is to be soaked and the thermal flux to that mass. The 32 has more mass than the 23, but also generates more thermal energy due to a larger fuel bed and corresponding flame front. In my experience, the 23 and 32 both take about an hour to heat soak. No real difference. 

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pequod said:

The 32 is more responsive in terms of temp measured at the dome therm. If you’re looking for a rapid rise to grilling temps, the 32 gets you there quickly.

Time to heat soak is a question of how much mass there is to be soaked and the thermal flux to that mass. The 32 has more mass than the 23, but also generates more thermal energy due to a larger fuel bed and corresponding flame front. In my experience, the 23 and 32 both take about an hour to heat soak. No real difference. 

Thanks for explaining the differences between the 23 and 32

2 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Thanks that was good.

• Like 1

Thanks that was good.

More heat distrabution .the dome gauge as we know just measures temp .to be honest I open both and take out the guru plug on start up and close the right when I'm ready to set in a temp for which I use the left .the thing I love about the KK is how thick it is .means I can get Ora up to 550 easy get the crackling on a pork belly started and dial back before it's heat soaked. If I want a quick 250 I will take Ora upto 350/400 take of grates throw wood on put bottom grate back in add foil as deflector then top grate close lid . For me it drops about a 100 during this time I just adjust the vents to the same spot and am good to go in no time . But you have all inspired me to muck around with the right 

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2018 at 6:22 PM, Bruce Pearson said:

I have been just adjusting my temp by the top vent

I think you might get more smoke down onto the grill by using the bottom vents wide open and the top to choke the draft.  Look at the smoke coming out of the thermal probe plug holes (the little holes that are not filled in the center of the rubber plug), those plugs are down near the main grill surface.

8 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

More heat distrabution .the dome gauge as we know just measures temp .to be honest I open both and take out the guru plug on start up and close the right when I'm ready to set in a temp for which I use the left .the thing I love about the KK is how thick it is .means I can get Ora up to 550 easy get the crackling on a pork belly started and dial back before it's heat soaked. If I want a quick 250 I will take Ora upto 350/400 take of grates throw wood on put bottom grate back in add foil as deflector then top grate close lid . For me it drops about a 100 during this time I just adjust the vents to the same spot and am good to go in no time . But you have all inspired me to muck around with the right 

I follow the same general procedure except for the guru plug. I do the heat up to certain temp and make sure the coals are well lit and then start putting in the grates. Go to the setting I'm comfortable with the cook I'm doing and let settle in to temp. Nothings perfect, may overshoot a bit and wait a bit longer. Thing that bothers me the most is forgetting to put the wood in after it's all loaded

• Like 1

I know what you mean about the knees. I have a steel plate in my neck and have had my left shoulder replaced and my left hip replaced, and the Doc says if my right knee starts to lock up I’ll have to get a new one also, sheeeeeh I’ve got so much steel in me I’m afraid to jump into the deep end of a swimming pool lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know what you mean about the knees. I have a steel plate in my neck and have had my left shoulder replaced and my left hip replaced, and the Doc says if my right knee starts to lock up I’ll have to get a new one also, sheeeeeh I’ve got so much steel in me I’m afraid to jump into the deep end of a swimming pool lol. 
Your worth more in parts lol wow a lot of work you have had done

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2018 at 4:56 AM, Bruce Pearson said:

When I move around I clank now LOL

You must be fun to watch going through an airport security line!  I get beeped, wanded and swabbed to the extend that I no longer go flying.

I had a hobby that involved explosives and it is pretty hard to convince the average TSA person that such hobbies exist.  Should have heard the commotion that was created by one of our club members that controls the powder magazine for a major timber company since he was their licensed blaster.  When 9/11 happened the BATF tried calling him, but he was off doing something else.  The 3rd message they left on his machine went something lioke this; "Jack, if you do not respond to this were are coming to find you", which he was listening to when they drove up in his driveway.  After a thorough interrogation and a trip to the magazine to inspect it and account for all the explosives they took him back home and were leaving when he calmly said, "I don't know why you were so nervous about all that other stuff, what about the stuff under the sink?".  Needless to say that got their attention so he demonstrated what a proper mixing of grocery store chemicals was capable of doing.  He now flies all over the world giving lectures about I.E.D's for the Feds.  His stories of the TSA are amusing at minimum.

Remember that shoe bomber the Feds caught after he tried lighting his shoes in flight?  We got a demonstration of the compound and its effectiveness and believe me that a 1/4" thick insole in his shoes would have brought down an airplane.  What was demonstrated to us was a 1/4" x 2" x2" , like a pat of butter, chunk laid behind a hill 100 yds away from us.  When it went off it ruffled my shirt....  I was a weapons track driver in Vietnam and we handled a lot of thing that went bang and this compound was as good or better than anything we had although it was not as stable as ours.

I steer clear of airports...

• Like 3