sfdrew28

Ordered my pig!

I just ordered my 40-50 pound pig. It’ll be here in a week and the store will hold until my cook day next Friday. I’m going to have them cut it in half and vacuum seal one 1/2 for a later cook. They’re willing to butcher it however I’d like, but how often do you get to say “just cut it in half from the head down”. Photos of the cook to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

17 hours ago, sfdrew28 said:

I just ordered my 40-50 pound pig. It’ll be here in a week and the store will hold until my cook day next Friday. I’m going to have them cut it in half and vacuum seal one 1/2 for a later cook. They’re willing to butcher it however I’d like, but how often do you get to say “just cut it in half from the head down”. Photos of the cook to follow.

What size KK do you have

Lol with bbq sauce stripe   Belly down back legs going forward towards the head front legs straight up by his head if whole it will be a very tight fit if you go half I would bring front leg back back leg forward tie them together trim under ribs to expose loin pack ground sausage under ribs over loin so loin don’t dry out or bacon instead of sausage if not ribs and loin will roast to fast and dry out before shoulder and ham cook after 3 hours start mopping don’t forget to oil skin and rub to all exposed meat I would inject shoulder and ham 

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2018 at 1:35 PM, Eddie mac said:
Lol with bbq sauce stripe   Belly down back legs going forward towards the head front legs straight up by his head if whole it will be a very tight fit if you go half I would bring front leg back back leg forward tie them together trim under ribs to expose loin pack ground sausage under ribs over loin so loin don’t dry out or bacon instead of sausage if not ribs and loin will roast to fast and dry out before shoulder and ham cook after 3 hours start mopping don’t forget to oil skin and rub to all exposed meat I would inject shoulder and ham 

Thanks for the tips Eddie. Quite a lot to ponder. I was reading on a smaller pig (I’m getting about a 40#r) that it doesn’t need to be cooked to a very high temp (145) since they’re not sinewy or tough yet(amazing ribs web site). I then read others just put the pig in at 250 and raise it to 325 at 190 until it finishes at 203.

Lastly, I read about the method you mention.

I’m also thinking of just getting the hind legs cut at the knees to save some space.

On 1/31/2018 at 9:29 PM, sfdrew28 said:

Thanks for the tips Eddie. Quite a lot to ponder. I was reading on a smaller pig (I’m getting about a 40#r) that it doesn’t need to be cooked to a very high temp (145) since they’re not sinewy or tough yet(amazing ribs web site). I then read others just put the pig in at 250 and raise it to 325 at 190 until it finishes at 203.

Lastly, I read about the method you mention.

I’m also thinking of just getting the hind legs cut at the knees to save some space.

I always bring the hams and shoulder up to 195 to 200 that why I protect everything else no matter size smallest I roasted was35lb largest I done was210lb 

I always bring the hams and shoulder up to 195 to 200 that why I protect everything else no matter size smallest I roasted was35lb largest I done was210lb 

Ahhh...without the periods at the end of sentences I misread some of what you were saying. So just put some ground sausage or bacon around the faster cooking parts like loin. That makes sense and is easy enough. Thanks for your insight as you sound like a whole pig pro. I’m zeroing I’m on my game plan.