sfdrew28

Ordered my pig!

Sorry I am at work trying to respond quickly.

Oh no...it wasn’t a criticism at all so no apology needed. I really am appreciative of your input. I was reading your post at 5am while trying to calm a crying baby. Not a good recipe for understanding anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, sfdrew28 said:

Oh no...it wasn’t a criticism at all so no apology needed. I really am appreciative of your input. I was reading your post at 5am while trying to calm a crying baby. Not a good recipe for understanding anything.

If there is any thing I could help you with just ask .

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 11:06 PM, sfdrew28 said:

I just ordered my 40-50 pound pig. It’ll be here in a week and the store will hold until my cook day next Friday. I’m going to have them cut it in half and vacuum seal one 1/2 for a later cook. They’re willing to butcher it however I’d like, but how often do you get to say “just cut it in half from the head down”. Photos of the cook to follow.

The pig cook still on

The pig cook still on

Yup...it was supposed to be here Tuesday but the delivery guy forgot it. Grrr. They will try for 9am tomorrow. It’s a 30 pounder. I was thinking of rubbing inside and out with olive oil and applying liberal salt. Then scoring the skin. Put on low n slow at 250 until 160 and then finishing for about 30-45 min at high heat to crisp up the skin. Thinking apple wood for smoke but I see hickory popular too. They figure about 90min for every ten pounds.
From several sites(including barbecue bible) they mention a suckling comes out great with this method.
Not sure if I’ll do whole or half and I’ll probably let everyone just pick the pig apart.

At least that’s my plan for this hour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

Yup...it was supposed to be here Tuesday but the delivery guy forgot it. Grrr. They will try for 9am tomorrow. It’s a 30 pounder. I was thinking of rubbing inside and out with olive oil and applying liberal salt. Then scoring the skin. Put on low n slow at 250 until 160 and then finishing for about 30-45 min at high heat to crisp up the skin. Thinking apple wood for smoke but I see hickory popular too. They figure about 90min for every ten pounds.
From several sites(including barbecue bible) they mention a suckling comes out great with this method.
Not sure if I’ll do whole or half and I’ll probably let everyone just pick the pig apart.

At least that’s my plan for this hour. emoji51.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apple for flavor cherry for color my choice love that combo 

Ok...pig problem...he finally arrived and was frozen!!! The butcher was so mad from where he ordered it from. It’s supposed to be “fresh”. Butcher told me I didn’t have to take it but It wasn’t his fault so I ended up taking it which he gave it to me at cost. He cut it in half and half is defrosting at his store and the other half is in the freezer. I’m doing the pig on Sunday now.
Tonight is a dry aged rib roast.

46 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

Ok...pig problem...he finally arrived and was frozen!!! The butcher was so mad from where he ordered it from. It’s supposed to be “fresh”. Butcher told me I didn’t have to take it but It wasn’t his fault so I ended up taking it which he gave it to me at cost. He cut it in half and half is defrosting at his store and the other half is in the freezer. I’m doing the pig on Sunday now.
Tonight is a dry aged rib roast.

Happy he arrived it will taste the same fresh or frozen was the head on