ckreef

Baby Tomahawk Steaks

Yes Sirrreeee! The thread title is an accurate description. Tomahawk steaks cut from Angus veal. At about  4" in diameter and 2" thick they make the perfect single serving Tomahawk steaks. M&T Meats did me right with these. 

All trimmed up. 

BTa.thumb.jpg.749aaa3b0c84baef4f99c5f78c79eec0.jpg

I made a quick batch of Reef's Montreal marinade. Into the fridge for a couple of hours. 

BTb.thumb.jpg.2a8332399f70b1e9af4850b49ec9b54f.jpg

BTc.thumb.jpg.c1aae7c37d682b4cc40c2c7059b3de1d.jpg

Made some blue cheese compound butter. 

BTd.thumb.jpg.4435760ea6e6210e23cc5af0c5e69168.jpg

I decided on a reverse sear. Here they are on the low-n-slow phase. Hickory chunks for a kiss of smoke. A couple baked potatoes along for the ride. 

BTe.thumb.jpg.8f5a7554c8c94f10b15cfb8ab4f9faaf.jpg

It's at this point I need to stop the narrative and tell a story........... 

Time for the sear phase. I got the Akorn Jr blazing hot. 30 seconds rotate, 30 seconds flip. At this point I got my expensive point and shoot camera out to take a couple of pictures. After the first picture I dropped the camera onto the deck. Oh crap!! It landed on the side of the lens and now the lens won't retract properly so it won't take pictures any more. Well this meal just went from $45 for two people to $545 :(

Steaks done so inside we go. I plate up and get out my better camera to take a few money shots. I then proceed to drop my $900 Sony mirror less camera on the ground. Fortunately it landed on carpet so no harm. At this point I was just done taking pictures for the night which is why the last two pictures are sort of crappy. 

BTf.thumb.jpg.bd0657ec69e36a83cf912d18206f4d40.jpg

BTg.thumb.jpg.d39cb2c5cf65a7ee16a9265395ae0730.jpg

With all that was said, fortunately this was one of the best steaks I've ever eaten. Will definitely get more of these in the future. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Those steaks look nice and juicy.  I keep wanting to borrow Bruce's line, bust camera or not, the pictures make you want to pick them up off the screen and eat them!

TY tekobo, they were some fine tasting steaks. 

The sear picture being the last picture that camera got to take at least it came out decent. 

1 hour ago, tony b said:

Hopefully you can find a good camera shop that can fix it. Might have to travel up to Atlanta or somewhere to find a shop, but to save a $500 camera, it's be worth a drive. 

I'm sure I can send it in for a repair. I imagine they'll just put a new retractable lens on it. The question will be for how much? If it's going to be a $300 fix I'd probably just buy something new for $500.

I don't know. I'm just bummed as that camera has given me many great pictures. 90% of the  pictures  you've seen me post over the years was taken with that camera. It's one of those cameras that you just point and shoot and you're almost guaranteed a decent picture every time. 

42 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

CK, I am so sorry about the camera, I can imagine how sick you must have been. Hopefully you can get it repaired for a reasonable fee. Dinner was spectacular. :smt060

TY MacKenzie. The Angus veal Tomahawks was really the star but the camera story sort of stole  the show. 

57 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

I have come realize that the majority of the meals pictured on this site look wonderful and tasty. I have also come to realize what a novice cook I am. But that’s ok all I can do is learn more and more.

You probably sell yourself short a bit there Bruce. 

The difference between some of us and everyone else is we'll experiment with anything and not worry about failing. You always learn more from failures than you learn from successful cooks.

I have failures weekly, I usually don't post my failures.  Tonight was a good example. Using Robert's slap yo mama Cajun fish batter I fried up 6 whole catfish tonight. Although it tasted good and me and Mrs skreef ate them all, I consider it a failure. The grease really wasn't hot enough to start with and my crappy electric stove can't really keep up. That's okay I learned from it and next go round will be much better (maybe I'll post a picture then). 

• Like 1

I have come realize that the majority of the meals pictured on this site look wonderful and tasty. I have also come to realize what a novice cook I am. But that’s ok all I can do is learn more and more.

I’m not agreeing on that at all. Maybe it’s a side effect of all the great postings here but I feel like I have so much to learn from you all. I just seriously started BBQing and smoking about six months ago so I’m a novice myself. Before I got Gossamer I never cooked with charcoal before.
I have lots of experience in the kitchen but not with grills. I was a poor weekend griller before that.

I’ve had quite a few pizza failures that I didn’t bother you all with.

I really enjoy all of our meals and comments here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1