PaulR

Starting a KK

Hi all, great forum...

I'm considering getting a ceramic cooker to my BBQ collection and am very impressed with what I've read so far on the KK...

Can someone please tell me what is involved with lighting up one of these babies? I have a weber chimney (and am happy with that) but can see problems "dropping" it in from the top of the KK or would you use the gas starter that comes as an extra? Or just paper and it fires up quick enough?

This is just question one I have several.

Regards, Paul

You can use a chimney, just get the coals going a little (low-n-slow coook) and dump them in or all the way lit for a hot cook.

There's also the weed burner, just 5-10 seconds aimed at the coals and you are off and running.

Then, of course, you could get a cooked with a gas option and you are there.

I think you mentioned newspaper, another way.

Put it this way, they are really a breeze to get started...in a number of ways. :shock:

Merry Christmas...it's 7:00AM and I'm getting ready to wake my 8 yr old daughter so she can open her presents. I can't remember sleeping til 7am when I was 8 yrs old :shock:

Newspaper... Firestarter...

For Hot/Fast

Take out the lower damper and shove in several balled up pieces of newspaper through the opening. Open the top damper all the way and light the newspaper. Walkway for 10min and the coals will be searing hot.

For Low/Slow

Arrange coals carefully (smaller chunks and minimize the gaps), place a few small pieces of firestarter blocks (sawdust held together with wax) , light and place additional coals on top of the firestarters. Open the bottom damper and top damper all the way and walk away for 10min and the cooker will be ~200*F.

I have a chimney starter sa well but it doesn't see much action these days.

I use an electric starter. Ihave found this to be the easiest and most convient. ( I use the the from BGE because it hase a curve to it), put in the bottom, place charcoal on top, plug it in and in 5 minutes the coals are glowing red. be sure to remove the starter as you start to see coals glowing. Close thge top down and use the upper and lower dampers to get them where you want them. You can buy cheaper starters from home depot etc. but they are straight and you kind of have to work with them.

Thanks for all you answers...

It seems to fire up a bit quicker than my bullet..

Thanks, Paul

PS Santa brougth some BBQ gagdgets so they'll come in handy for the new year's BBQ...

PPS We don't have Home Dpeot here but I'll look around for the electrical heaters (the BGE is round at the "end" correct?)

What I currently do (with my Weber Smoker) is put all the old charcoal/briquettes in the chimney and start them again after which I pour them into the holder at the start. Is this the way you would "restart" a KK or do you just leave the existing coals in there and poor new ones on?

I have a guru (which should nicely fit on the KK) to regulate the temps (yep I'm lazy)...

What I currently do (with my Weber Smoker) is put all the old charcoal/briquettes in the chimney and start them again after which I pour them into the holder at the start. Is this the way you would "restart" a KK or do you just leave the existing coals in there and poor new ones on?

I have a guru (which should nicely fit on the KK) to regulate the temps (yep I'm lazy)...

If you are truly lazy as I am, you get the gas start option! But you could also opt for the weed burner, or just do as you mentioned with a couple pieces of fresh charcoal on top of the used.

-=Jasen=-

I'm lazy but not sure whether the gas option is the best (looks fairly cluttered having it always connected?)

I can only imagine since I haven't seen a KK with it connected. Does anyone have photo's of their KK with the gas option connected?

Am also unsure whether the American gas connections are compatible with the Aussie ones, a friend of ours brought their Scottish barbecue when they moved to Sydney (yeah I know who'd have thought that they sold BBQ's in Scotland?) and they had to get a special connector to connect an Aussie gas bottle to their BBQ.

Am also unsure whether the American gas connections are compatible with the Aussie ones, a friend of ours brought their Scottish barbecue when they moved to Sydney (yeah I know who'd have thought that they sold BBQ's in Scotland?) and they had to get a special connector to connect an Aussie gas bottle to their BBQ.

Dennis is not actually sending the hose and regulator with the burner. So you would purchase that locally from an LP Gas distributor. The end of the hose that attaches to the valve/burner would be your focus. I think Dennis is now using a 3/8" male flare fitting leaving the valve, so you would just need the mated fitting. You can also remove the fitting from the valve and adapt it (with pipe fittings) to what size you may need. There is a post in this section about pipe standards.

Or you can say "No Worries" and just lite with the chimney starter - hehe. That is why it is optional.

-=Jasen=-

She'll be right then?

I'll ask one of the local BBQ places what size we use..

Do you have yours connected all the time and where do you have the gas bottle?

Do not have my KK yet, but soon. It will be connected to the gas bottle all the time as was my last ceramic grill. This makes using very convenient - just turn on gas, light and two minutes for low/slow or five for high temps - too easy! The hose will attach to the valve at a 90 degree angle and go underneath the grill. The bottle will be stashed around back out of view. I am also looking into having Johnnyboy make me a gas tank cover to match. So I think the setup will look very nice. It looked just fine on my last grill (I painted the gas bottle to match it - but they are very fussy about colors on bottles now). Anyway, here is my hose, regulator and a valve (there is a valve already on the burner - I chose to add this myself) I made up to connect to my gas attachment - scroll to the bottom of the thread - viewtopic.php?t=196&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30 .

-=Jasen=-

U convinced me!

So when I order my KK I should get the extra gas gizmo and top grate...

Hmm wonder if my wife will let me get away with ordering the EZQ

accessory (so I can just order the motor/kit from EZQ later)..

Don't quote me on this, but I think the parts from Dennis for the EZQue might come with the supreme now - not positive (always best to check with the source). And you would only need to get the basket and motor from EZQue later.

-=Jasen=-