Oldsman

Tiles vs Pebbles

This pains me to reveal that without question the square tiles are the superior of the two. I only say this because I have irrefutable evidence to support this claim. At the risk of exposing Dennis's operation and to keep him safe, so to say, I can't divulge any photos or hard evidence to support my claim. I can only say, "Would I lie to you." Of course not. Tis true. Two months ago I boarded a plane, I can't tell you where at risk of exposing myself, however I'll tell you this much....Bali Airlines. This was a two prop plane with exceptional Bloody Mary's, just sayin. Heard that before somewhere, the just sayin part. Anyhow once I landed on this deserted island I took a cab to the factory but stopped at Dennis's house to visit for a brief moment. Dennis was in the shower, the dog outside on guard duty was smoking a cigarette and the house was being robbed. I thought this an inconvienent time to disturb Dennis so I muddled along my way. I have pictures of Dennis looking out the shower window watching the volcano explode but, you'll have to wait for my next cooking post to see one. Now I know your asking yourself what kind of evidence I have....damning evidence I tell you. Positioned on a far mountain with my telescopic lens I witnessed the artisains applying square tiles to the komodos and occasionly dropping one here and there. The artisan would take this tile that was heavily damaged with the corners knocked off and place it in a coffee can just before she took a toke of some foreign substance. I got pictures. Later in the day Dennis arrived, he noticed the tiles damaged, there were thousands of them, this was a big can. He stopped and took a toke himself and moved on with the can. By the way Dennis only had on a shower towel, I can't say...but I learned later this to be traditional garb on the island. So when in Rome do as the Romans do, I secured a towel for myself. Later, Dennis arrived at the trash dumpster and I can only say that he musta, gosh darn I think he musta had a revelation, because the next thing I witnessed was Dennis at a grinding stone rounding the edges of all these tiles. He returned to the Artisan and instructed her to use these tiles on the next KK coming along, need I say more. So I know , it breaks your heart the pebble tiles are considered a second, a reject maybe not as good as the square  but if it's any consolation you can say yours started out as a square at birth. I heard Dennis as he was driving away from the plant in his Porche say, "Don't worry about it, we can make it work." He was smoking something,,,,I got pictures.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Oldsman, as you can see we are all having fun. :) There is nothing to worry about as far as upkeep goes, it's a case of 6 of one or half a dozen. Keep up is minimal in my experience.:) 

All I can add to that, Let the truth set you free. Amen and a halaluya sister

10 hours ago, 5698k said:

Tiles are aerodynamically superior, causing more even airflow over the surface. This gives the tiled grill a significant advantage in speed and handling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's true. I whole heartedly agree with my esteemed colleauge

9 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

But the edges on the pebbles are so much smoother and they every so gently direct the airflow in every direction fully covering the entire surface of the KK. No stone is left untouched. :) 

Now that u know I'll be expectin a retraction.

Thanks to all ya'll for your responses, as I live in Tornado Alley the aerodynamics of the tiles are definitely of importance and I had not previously considered that

Tryus, that was probably the best explanation of why the pebbles cost more and makes that cost seem low considering the extra labor to create the pebbles, hopefully Dennis wont catch on to that.  Also seems you may be prone to hyperboli when recalling the details of your travel.

I think it boils down to liking the look of the pebbles better for us 

• Like 2

If you notice from the square tiled Komado to the pebble that the amount of grout used in the pebble finish is substancially more. This is because with square you can butt them closer together in their design hence using less grout. The pebble finished Kamado's vent more I'm told and this would be because they have more grout surface than the square. Does it matter, I think not. Mind you this is only a laymens interpretation. I would think by observation the pebble tiles hold somewhere between 30-50% more grout, Dennis could give you a better estimate. I have to admit they do look nice but I prefer the square version. Simply because, I got pictures.

Just now, Oldsman said:

Thanks to all ya'll for your responses, as I live in Tornado Alley the aerodynamics of the tiles are definitely of importance and I had not previously considered that

Tryus, that was probably the best explanation of why the pebbles cost more and makes that cost seem low considering the extra labor to create the pebbles, hopefully Dennis wont catch on to that.  Also seems you may be prone to hyperboli when recalling the details of your travel.

I think it boils down to liking the look of the pebbles better for us 

Funny I was responding again to your post when you answered to my earlier one. I do believe the Pebble finish to be a little more labor intensive, the tile cost could be more and the amount of grout looks to be more. As far as being hyperbolic well.....you wouldn't be saying that if you were there, malaria and exploding volcano's to say the least, life and limb to bring the truth to the forefront without compensation add you. I hope your choice is clear now, I have the blue denim.