Shuley

Salad!!!!!

There have been a lot of delicious looking salads submitted, but this has been a salad on my to do list for well over a year. Thai style beef salad.  Very healthy and just what I was craving after my 12 mile run on Saturday. 

I started by lighting the kamado because this is a pretty quick cook, at least as far as challenge cooks go.

First I got the ingredients for the dressing. 0217181743.thumb.jpg.e471985dca004fcb131f3d8deecf6d99.jpg

Fairly simple and shockingly no oil!  First time I have ever made a salad dressing without oil.  Also, half of the dressing is used to dress the meat specifically after it is cooked and sliced, which made the meat over the top flavorful.  Whisked that together and set it aside. 

Then I assembled the rest of the salad ingredients.0217181752.thumb.jpg.859873c7db0e70c64043234f8cf48d17.jpg

Chopped up most of the ingredients, tore the living butter lettuce (I love thst lettuce) sliced the red onion a pickled them a bit because I have an issue with completely raw onion. 

Checked the grill and yup, it was ready. 0217181809a.thumb.jpg.6b2b3708cb413a1d2b00899e3fda6995.jpg

Seasoned my flank steak with some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne. Adhered with some sesame oil. 0217181814.thumb.jpg.635c5dba713db33ffd914e3d4bb09968.jpg

Grilled fairly hot and fast until it hit 1270217181820.thumb.jpg.031c0d35f87fbc585f39eeeb3bbbfe4f.jpg0217181827.thumb.jpg.bed3e8e1617ffa461ee7d0589cdc59ea.jpg

let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.0217181838.thumb.jpg.2c4852e8aad3b508cdd79cce4b1aae64.jpg

Then assembled it all and poured the remaining dressing on top0217181850b.thumb.jpg.08da607143d29e8bc6e5587804d4483e.jpg

This was really, really good.  My husband completely scarfed it down.  I'd definitely make it again.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Let me compliment you first for your 12 mile run, if your doing that distance you've done the marathon or nipping at it's door. Your cook and salad look wonderful only wish I had a plate beside me. 

Thank you.  I actually ran a marathon in 2010 and a half in 2012.  I have been running at least 6 miles two times a week since about september and then slowly upped one run to be longer. The last month or so Ihave been doing one 12 mile and one 6 mile per week.  Its my alone time.

And thank you!  Wish I could have shared!

• Like 2

Shuley, I just learned today that my sister-in-law is having problems with her hip joint. She's been an avid runner for decades and a matter of fact she was out in your area last year for a triathion in San Fran. What I'm saying in a roundabout way is that although it keeps you going and it can also wear you out. Don't stop, but be aware.

On 2/21/2018 at 7:33 AM, Tyrus said:

Shuley, I just learned today that my sister-in-law is having problems with her hip joint. She's been an avid runner for decades and a matter of fact she was out in your area last year for a triathion in San Fran. What I'm saying in a roundabout way is that although it keeps you going and it can also wear you out. Don't stop, but be aware.

I am aware- but I'm also aware of health risks of not being active.  If I need to replace a joint when I'm old- I will definitely hate that and it will suck, but being inactive also has (more) negative consequences.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sfdrew28 said:

I’m not sure if you tried this but it helps people who don’t have luck with raw onions.
Rinse them under cold water in a strainer after you cut them. It takes off a chemical that causes the tummy issues.
I saw it on tv by a chef and I do it every time now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried that and it does help a fair amount.  However, it doesn't bother my stomach, it bothers my mouth.  

5 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Nice take on a Thai classic looks really good .have been looking at the entry's on the Guru .some great entry's like yours .I'm steering away from Asia tonight and going modern Australian. Sounds spekky lol. nah just Dee and my twisted mind have joined forces

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

We'll keep our eyes out for this one. 

8 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Nice take on a Thai classic looks really good .have been looking at the entry's on the Guru .some great entry's like yours .I'm steering away from Asia tonight and going modern Australian. Sounds spekky lol. nah just Dee and my twisted mind have joined forces

Yeah,  I sort of wanted to drop my plan when I saw how many people were going with Asian influences.  However, that recipe had been bookmarked for years.  I usually use the challenges as motivation to try vooking projects I had "put on hold"  I decided I wasn't going to be strategic about how to win, but to go with something I wanted to try like I always do.

• Like 3

Yeah,  I sort of wanted to drop my plan when I saw how many people were going with Asian influences.  However, that recipe had been bookmarked for years.  I usually use the challenges as motivation to try vooking projects I had "put on hold"  I decided I wasn't going to be strategic about how to win, but to go with something I wanted to try like I always do.
Fair enough nothing strategic about my cook .we have a large Asian infulance in cooking down here being right on the door step to Asia .I just like putting my own twist on things .

19 hours ago, Shuley said:

It use to be all about winning for me. I've even won one challenge just by picking a combination I knew everyone would vote for (ribs wrapped in pig candy). 

Now,  although I would like to win, I cook something new, unique, pushes my cooking abilities or teaches me a new technique. I do try and put forth my very best. The challenges are a bit more satisfying now that I'm not worrying about winning. 

• Like 1