ckreef

Salt Block Cooking - A Gimmick? Maybe

Salt Blocks seem to be a one trick pony. Walmart had one for $20 and I've always wanted to give it a try. I figured it's one trick would be scallops. I had a few scallops and a few extra large shrimp in the freezer so last night was test night. 

I slowly heat soaked the salt block to 500*. Seasoned the scallops and shrimp with purple crack and lemon mrytle. Scallops got 3 minutes per side. The on grill picture is a bit of a mess but that's 4 large scallops and 6 extra large shrimp. 

HSBa.thumb.jpg.89c1c5bda5467f80dfac17f27f9a5205.jpg

HSBb.thumb.jpg.93596c77de2c2032373c5fbcc0683381.jpg

The scallops had a nice sear. The texture was spot on at md rare. They were a touch salty so next time I'll go 600* and 2 minutes per side. Seems a bit of a gimmick but a reasonable way to cook scallops and they get seasoned automatically by the salt block. 

This morning 10 hours later the salt block is still warm to the touch. Once heat soaked I do think you could pull the salt block off the grill and table side cook the scallops if you were looking to wow some guests. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

It is fun to do now and again but I too find things a bit salty when cooked on the block. I think if you are a big salt fan it would be right up you alley. 

They were a bit salty. I think if I could reduce the time on the salt block they wouldn't be as salty. We'll try again. 

No gimmick, apparently there is a following and as stated people have had results they consider favorable. Generally they are made of the Himalayan salt and no bigger than the one foot square size and as you said they're heated slowly up to Temp with the meat placed on for the desired affect. I thought they were offered at specialty stores like Williams Sonoma but I guess you can find them popping out in other stores now. Your plate looks amazing. Did you know they also make shot glasses out of the same material for Tequila shots, you can skip the licking part. I remember my brother left his outside during a rain storm, it was gone when he realized what had happened. Good luck 

• Like 1

I've been tempted in the past to get one, but wondered about the "gimmickery" of it, given the high prices for them back in the day (nice score @ $20.) Plus the other concerns - do they crack easily from heat stress, do they begin to flake (especially on the corners), ease of cleaning, where/how to store them, etc.??? Similar thoughts about getting an Italian granite piastra. 

Finished product looks great.

I tried a salt block in 2013. We liked the results, but as you pointed out, it seems to be a one trick item.

Also, I found it a little cumbersome to clean, store, etc.

I have not used the block since and now that we have the baking steel, we use it for these type of dishes.

@ckreef, your post inspired me to find and unwrap the salt block I bought late last year in a sale.  I found this book online https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salt-Block-Cooking-Himalayan-Bittermans-ebook/dp/B00B4AF55U/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1520249074&sr=8-6&keywords=salt+block+cooking and was all set, with 70 recipes to try.

So far I have cooked two fish fillets, some asparagus wrapped in bacon and scallops.  Not too salty, in fact they were seasoned just right.  I wonder if different blocks give off more or less salt in the cooking process?  The book has lots of other fun options like using the block as a pizza stone and a brick for spatchcock chicken.  Is it a gimmick?  Yes.  There is nothing that it does that is unique and there is generally a faster and better way to get your food cooked than waiting to slowly heat up a salt block.  Fun though.  And it looks good.