sfdrew28

Tasmanian pepper berry on ribeye?

The peppercorns once crushed up give off a floral taste with a slight kick at the end. Interesting taste but I either didn’t use enough or the sear burned it off as I suspected it might. I think it’d be really good when used in a rub in place of regular pepper. I have to do a bit more experimenting.
On the cook side, I tried my first reverse sear. While I got a great sear the meat was over cooked after resting for my liking. I moved it from indirect to direct at 115 so I’m not sure where I went wrong. Next time I’ll move it over at 105.3ad800b981f655c09a743e66045d2722.jpg138043268bbba7dff9ca01d6ba358339.jpg88657f2716596db2fca2a3fa2a78986c.jpg798136038cbbed2a0d181b51aad33c0d.jpgd2230e91ef7931bd596eecc10239a295.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

That sliced open shot looks fine to me - a nice medium. But, if you like it a bit more on the rare side, yeah, a tad over.

Here's a trick for next time doing your reverse sear. Flip the steaks every 30 seconds - twice per side, rotating 90 degrees each flip to get nice crosshatched grill marks. By flipping often, you build up the crust without much penetration of heat into the steak. A lot of this depends on the thickness, of course. A thicker steak can probably go up to a minute per side; but, the steaks in your pics should be in the 30 second range. This is also for using the lower grate, as in your pics. If using the sear grate, it's more like 15 seconds per side; and if using the main grate, bump it up to a minute per flip. Your starting temp of 115F should be OK using this technique if you were looking for med-rare. If you wanted rare, then drop down to 110F. YMMV - depending on how roaring that fire was.