Tangles

Boston butt - how much on a 23 ultimate

I have done 4 (8 pounds each); I have seen folks on this site do 6 and Chris Lilly did 8.

all using the main and upper grates.

Put them on at 5-6pm eve prior to party.

They'll come off at about 11-1 next day, then you can wrap in foil, towels and put in cooler to hold til you need to pull them.

Pull them as you need to serve, they will stay nice and hot for you.

• Like 2

I have done 4 (8 pounds each); I have seen folks on this site do 6 and Chris Lilly did 8.
all using the main and upper grates.
Put them on at 5-6pm eve prior to party.
They'll come off at about 11-1 next day, then you can wrap in foil, towels and put in cooler to hold til you need to pull them.
Pull them as you need to serve, they will stay nice and hot for you.

Thanks for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was able to fit 4 - 8# butts on the 19" TT.  Only problem I had was that the dome temp probe stuck into one of the top butts and I didn't know it until midway into the cook.  Had to guess the cooker temp and used the internal meat temp to finish the cook as normal.

It was on my first big butt cook and for the next cook I adjusted the top butts as shown below. Solved the problem.

You should have no problems on the 23 KK  

pork4.thumb.jpeg.7c3b4e374b8a412999288bfcc56ef80c.jpegpork3.thumb.jpeg.7236c10c93d6732f1add4aa7f1cc673f.jpeg

• Like 3

On 3/6/2018 at 10:25 PM, Jon B. said:

I was able to fit 4 - 8# butts on the 19" TT.  Only problem I had was that the dome temp probe stuck into one of the top butts and I didn't know it until midway into the cook.  Had to guess the cooker temp and used the internal meat temp to finish the cook as normal.
It was on my first big butt cook and for the next cook I adjusted the top butts as shown below. Solved the problem.
You should have no problems on the 23 KK  

pork4.thumb.jpeg.7c3b4e374b8a412999288bfcc56ef80c.jpegpork3.thumb.jpeg.7236c10c93d6732f1add4aa7f1cc673f.jpeg

That is awesome. Thanks for this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I managed to do 4 x 5kg is Boston butts. Actually they were just over 5kg each so just over 20kg in total. Was a tight fit on the upper grate. Turned out great but it was nerve racking night. Was all eaten... so that must be a good sign.

Some pictures below.
b32a9b3420a54391650e4ab5e4b6d823.jpg
059e5ba40bf443ab4cd2e3e33d1a3dfa.jpg
d83b5ffa1753d3aa4a1ada7f0a5976e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5