normstar

32oz dry age ribeye

Hi all!

I’m cooking a couple 32 ounce dry age bone in ribeyes tomorrow night and would like to hear your recommendations on how to cook them? I typically get 24oz steaks and cook them on the lower grades over a hot fire about three minutes per side. But these steaks are very thick and intimidating!b5852a73cf07355f5814c1ab07580af8.jpg

• Like 1

WOW! Would you consider cutting them in half? A 2# steak is an awfully damn big hunka meat. Going to need to cook that puppy low and slow to start with on the main grate, indirect, to get the middle to your liking without overcooking the exterior - unless you really want it "black & blue." Then, as Robert suggested, do a quick reverse sear on the lower grate - 4 x 30sec flips on the lower grate, with 90 degree turns to get your nice crosshatched grill marks.

Can you do it sous vide? That's how I'd cook something that big/thick; then do the reverse sear on the grill. YMMV

Cooked them on the middle grate over a super hot mesquite fire with lots of butter basting! Just wanted to keep it simple and not do a reverse sear, and hey came out great! Had to use a lot of intuition to tell when they were done, because the internal temp was still very low, but once the cap started to separate I pulled them and let rest for 10 mins. Total cool time was around 14 minutes I think.
I now realize that I greatly prefer a 24oz bone-in ribeye, that’s the perfect size and thickness for me. These were just too thick and even cooked perfectly I didn’t like the texture as much. Maybe a reverse sear with a longer cool time may give more rendering and a better texture? I’ll try that next time!

I do those thick ones low and slow and even throw some smoke on them first.. I then wrap and ice them to pull the heat out. Once the meat is cooled.. I sandwich the meat between two bags of ice.. I pat dry, baste in herb ghee and proceed to brown up the outside. Cooling it inside ensures I do not cook it any more.. After properly browned, I pull it off to the side, put a probe in it and wait for it to warm up.. Perfect texture and pink from edge to edge..  slice up and plate..

• Like 2

I do those thick ones low and slow and even throw some smoke on them first.. I then wrap and ice them to pull the heat out. Once the meat is cooled.. I sandwich the meat between two bags of ice.. I pat dry, baste in herb ghee and proceed to brown up the outside. Cooling it inside ensures I do not cook it any more.. After properly browned, I pull it off to the side, put a probe in it and wait for it to warm up.. Perfect texture and pink from edge to edge..  slice up and plate..

Can you eplain that again lol I got lost .am I finishing off between two bags of ice .please do tell sounds interesting

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

On 3/10/2018 at 1:01 PM, DennisLinkletter said:

I do similar minus the ice...just pull them (for seasoning and ramping up the kooker temp) at one temperature lower than desired... ie. pull at rare for med rare.

easy peasy.

They come out good in the sous vide with a KK sear but not quite the same IMHO