RandyS

BB32 First Cooks

Our new Cobalt Blue BB32 arrived 03/16 and got it set up that evening. Had to cook the next day. First Boston Butt, 8 pounds, cooked at 275 so we could eat that evening. It was the best bbq one guest had ever had.5ab2a4f7e8f85_01BostonButt.thumb.jpg.4656da33a997cc7d78c14e395759e84e.jpg5ab2a4f95d128_03BostonButtCooked.thumb.jpg.c7663f57922f6ed2c3f87451c5abbd52.jpg5ab2a4fa9b12a_04BostonButtPulled.thumb.jpg.91ef82dc85b149734a20d1f9801d1865.jpg

We did the burn in yesterday, total of 9 hours, temperature to 650-700 F for about four hours, and went well. There was no reason to waste the heat so we made a couple of homemade pizzas near the end of the burn. Very tasty. It will get even better from here with experience, but it is hard to believe it can get much better05Pizza.thumb.jpg.3ca4fca7cbb6e47b300c9dc3103b5a91.jpg5ab2a5c0a9978_06PizzaCooked.thumb.jpg.6e5862590976b6d430aec1708e7183ff.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I'm a bit delayed - been on a mini vacation away from computers.

tony b is right. ckreef is the pizza expert. the dough we used is from his King Arthur Artisan Pizza Tutorial - We didn't have KA flour but it worked fine.

I tacked the pizza cook onto the end of my burn in almost as an afterthought. We used a basic sauce my wife uses for pizza, pasta, lots of stuff. Then we just added ingredients to taste from what we had in the kitchen - Italian sausage (cooked), pepperoni, mushrooms, black olives, green peppers, and pretty heavy mozzarella cheese and garlic. 

I preheated the stone per Dennis' suggestion, on the upper grill over the dip pan for about 30 minutes. The charcoal was nearing its end by then and it cooled off to about 400 from 650 by the time I put the pizza on. I cooked it for about 20 minutes at 400, checking it periodically after about 10 minutes.

It wasn't well planned and "by the book" but I figured I had nothing to lose and, overall, for a seat of the pants effort, it turned out really tasty, thanks to the expertise of ckreef, Dennis, and others. I guess as long as one is monitoring the cook and using a little common sense as well as advice, success is possible even for a rookie like me.

Folks, it's not rocket science - it's just cooking. We've all had to learn from someone. I've yet to meet a fully "self-taught" cook. That's the fun part of this Forum - sharing collective wisdom/knowledge about making something tasty to eat. At the end of the day - it doesn't get any more basic than that! 

• Like 3