River City BBQ

New guy question

Relatively no effect on a cook or a cooker...but it's heck on a cookee :shock:

There is no comparison on cooking with one of these and cooking with a metal cooker...especially when you are cooking in cold weather. I'm in South Carolina now, and was in Georgia before that, and of course we don't have the winters ya'll have, but we do get to the teens and 20's though not often, and not for as long.

So some of these northerners will need to respond but you shouldn't hear any complaints with cold weather cooking on a ceramic cooker.

I have cooked in snow, ice, rain and even good weather! The best thing about these cookers is that unlike steel cookers, when these get heated up the temp does not dissipate into the air. Remember trying to cook on a gasser or steel in winter and the temp never comes up? Well you fire these bad boys up and you can low n' slo for days. Lesson learned ... get a cover (from johnny_boy) to cover it when not in use.

John

RC BBQ-

I live in Madison and have used a rivals cookers for 2+y and the KK for about a month. There are a few issues in the cold but none of them hard to overcome.

1. You do use more charcoal when it is colder.

2. You should open the cooker after the charcoal has gone out to allow condensation to escape. Otherwise, it can freeze on the inside, expand and shorten the life of the body.

3. I do not go to high temps (>500F) in the winter to avoid rapid expansion of the body-this killed my previous "ceramic" cooker. Along the same lines, I try to gradually heat up the KK when it is very cold.

Otherwise, the KK works well and is a solid product backed by nice people who actually respond to your emails. Send me an email if you want to talk more.

Jim

Any recommendations on a model? I would rather get all the features upfront and I cook for guests quite a bit. Thanks

RC, Welcome to the KK forum. As you spend time looking around you will find the different features that we appreciate about the KK. I have only been cooking with "ceramic" for about two months (when my KK arrived). Before then I used the steel grills and never attempted to do BBQ. Wow! I love being able to do BBQ in my back yard and it is so easy with the Komodo.

I have put my cooker to good use and lots of family and friends really appreciate the "goods" that come out.

As far as model or accessories go I am pleased with my OTB supreme, without gas. I just use a MAPP torch to light my webber chimney and then poor the coals into the KK. The lower grill and main grill come with the supreme and is a big plus to have the two grills so I have a place to put the heat deflector and drip pan. Biggest cook so far was a 32 lb. chuck roll. That fit well on the main grill. When I get around to it I plan to order an upper grill to be able to throw in some corn on the cobb or potatoes at the same time. (The upper grill doubles as a "down low" sear grill too when turned upside down, for your prime steaks.)

I also picked up a BBQ Guru (from a different vender) but some folks don't find it necessary since the KK is so stable.

Once again, welcome aboard to the forum. :smt006

You'll find plenty of good threads with folks who appreciate the inovations of the cooker, the good food, the cool pics too, and 100% satisfaction customer service.

With a name like RC BBQ, we will be expecting some trade tips in the recipe section!

Cheers,

Turtle

Hi turtle, I'm still trying to make up my mind what model to get...

Since you have the supreme wouldn't the additional upper grill only be useful for the "top". The supreme comes with a lower grill (I assumed that grill was for searing?).

Regards, Paul

The Grill Levels..

You can open the two pics below for a closeup look at the levels..

LevelsofGrills.jpg

UpperandMain.jpg

3:8%22UpperSear.jpg

UpperOverHot.jpg

So basically the "upper grill/Sear Grill" would provide the opportunity to put meat at the highest level for double deck cooking and the lowest level for those quick sear steaks!

From the "Features and Accessories" area:

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647

Wow, thanks for the prompt reply.

So as far as I can tell (Christmas spirits over here so lunches are mainly liquid) it has four levels and in the supreme you get grills for main and middle level. You can then buy the additional grill which allows cooking at main + 1 and at the lowest level (searing only).

Do you know what the temp differences are between the main, main+1 and middle level (using the heat deflector?). I understand that the searing grill is superhot...

It looks like a GREAT BBQ...

Regards, Paul

Any recommendations on a model? I would rather get all the features upfront and I cook for guests quite a bit. Thanks

Hello! Welcome to the forum. One of the great things about these cookers, there are not a lot of accessories you need as Dennis includes almost everything you need. The upper/sear grill and gas start are about the only two accessories available. The supreme OBT seems to be the most popular model since it is all stainless, precision CNC cut metal and comes with two main grill levels.

-=Jasen=-

Do you know what the temp differences are between the main, main+1 and middle level (using the heat deflector?). I understand that the searing grill is superhot...

Theoretically, once the heat deflector is in place to prevent direct heat and the grill has reached thermal equilibrium, there should be no difference in cooking temps due to radiant heat from the ceramics. But in reality, nothing ever perfectly follow theory; though I bet if anyone ever did an unloaded (or exact matched pound/density food per level) temp test of each level, I doubt there would be a huge difference in temps. Since the bottom level next to the diffuser and top level next to dome has the highest surrounding ceramics (more radiating surfaces), those areas would have a faster cooking time than the main level with all other circumstances being the same. I think generally people use the bottom rack for a drip pan (instead of placing it on the diffuser which tends to scorch the dripping making a nasty smelling mess). Which then gives them the main grill and upper grill left for plenty of food.

Hope that helped some!

-=Jasen=-

What if you have to "refill" the KK during a long cook?

Don't the grates prevent you from filling up the bottom coalholder?

Sorry for al the questions...

Regards, Paul

There is an opening to allow for adding coal. But you should not have that problem too often as if you fill it properly and depending on grill temp/outside temp, you can go for as long as 24 hrs. That is the great thing about thick ceramics!

And never be sorry about questions! That is what the forum it for!

-=Jasen=-

What if you have to "refill" the KK during a long cook?

Don't the grates prevent you from filling up the bottom coalholder?

Sorry for al the questions...

Regards, Paul

Paul, I have somewhat limited experience - since Sept or so, however, I can say that other than my own noobishness that required more lump during my first cook, the only time I have had to add was during a 30 hour stint in sub-40F weather. I had to toss in about 2 - 3 handfuls through the grill opening - no biggie. The newest lump basket has taller "handles" that allow more lump under the heat deflector - that would have taken care of me!

Re: Thanks for the help

How do you use your remote thermometer do you run the cables between the lid and the base?

Thanks Jim for the cold weather tips

There is a tube built into the cooker on the right front, it allows you to run your probes - Guru - Polder -etc. through the side, not over the rim- it works great. I have occasionally run one over the edge if I didn't want to deal with it when removing the food etc.. It can also be a bit of a ballet when trying to feed a probe through the tube with the upper (accessory) grill in place. All-in-all one of the little touches that place the KK ahead of any other cooker in the market!