John A

Gas burner attachment

I was considering getting the gas burner attachment for my 23 KK. I see posts about the dual fuel unit but not much about the gas burner. Can anyone tell me if it’s worth having? Is it useful for preheating the KK? Does it use a lot of fuel? Are there any other uses for it? I’d appreciate any input I can get. 

I bought my grill in 2012, and Dennis as much as talked me out of it. Subsequently, he’s even started casting grills without the gas port, plus selling an adapter to mechanically seal the ports that are there. So, I recommend not getting it, I’ve never seen a use for it, plus it’s not very popular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input.  The only thing I would likely use it for Would be to preheat the grill for high heat cooks. When I cook pizza - for example I use quite a bit of charcoal preheating the grill. Not to mention the time it takes (at least an hour). How about the basket splitter. Does that save on charcoal? 

If you live in a very cold location and your grill is frozen, the gas burner is a fast easy efficient way to thaw out and pre-heat/heat-soak the hot face..

The volume of burning charcoal for a 235º low and slow cook would take too long.. light up extra charcoal and once heated you race by to 300º..  You can also use a old school sheet metal charcoal starter.. fill and light it, set on drip pan let rage until grill is heated, then pour a bit of what's left onto your charcoal in the basket and smoke away..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

You can also use a old school sheet metal charcoal starter.. fill and light it, set on drip pan let rage until grill is heated, then pour a bit of what's left onto your charcoal in the basket and smoke away..

Nice tip! 

On 4/3/2018 at 7:45 AM, DennisLinkletter said:

If you live in a very cold location and your grill is frozen, the gas burner is a fast easy efficient way to thaw out and pre-heat/heat-soak the hot face..

The volume of burning charcoal for a 235º low and slow cook would take too long.. light up extra charcoal and once heated you race by to 300º..  You can also use a old school sheet metal charcoal starter.. fill and light it, set on drip pan let rage until grill is heated, then pour a bit of what's left onto your charcoal in the basket and smoke away..

That’s what I was thinking for the gas burner. To preheat for high heat cooks like pizza. For low and slow I’ve been lighting the KK the night before and setting the bottom vent to the medium circle and a 1/4 turn on the top and it settles in at 225. Even then I’m able the get 24 hrs worth of cook time and have about a 1/3 left in the basket.