KismetKamado

Greetings from KK and her new KK

16 hours ago, tekobo said:

I think it is utterly beautiful.  I hope you had a good first cook.  Welcome.  

Thanks @tekobo!  I've enjoyed following your adventure getting your two KK's. ;)

14 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Hey Kismet congrats looks awesome you are going to have so much fun .

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

Thanks, Aussie!  You're the man - glad I came over here to see what the Outback Kamado Bar and Grill had to say about my acquisition.  

13 hours ago, Stile88 said:

Hey Kismet Congrats on your new KK looks stunning its about time indeed lol

your are going to love cooking on it its too clean you better get going

Agreed on both accounts - it's about time and I need to get going.  BUT - I can tell you that driveway cooking is a little nerve-racking on a driveway with a slight slope to it.  It definitely wanted to roll without being chocked up.  LOL.

12 hours ago, amusedtodeath said:

Welcome to a fellow new 21" Supreme owner! I love mine and waited for a very long time also before I got it, but the new size made it possible. It's so exciting isn't it?!

I looked at your uncrating thread more than once. ;)  And I agree.... the new size made it possible for me as well.  Glad to be in such good company!

12 hours ago, Tucker said:

Very tight color - love it

congrats, welcome, enjoy.

I like your style, @Tucker!  Thank you!

10 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Wow nice KK can’t wait to see it in the back yard. Congratulations and welcome. Looking forward to pics of your first cook.

Thank Bruce!  I can't wait to see it in the back yard, too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 5698k said:

Well, the instant you didn’t poo poo the idea, I knew you were done. I just didn’t want to apply any pressure at all, I knew the grill would do all that work.

Dennis has a great thing going, he lets the product sell itself, which it does easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could only assume before I got it, but to put my hands on it, it's definitely everything I expected and more.  Stunning!

10 hours ago, Jon B. said:

Welcome KK and congratulations!

Just out of curiosity, what cooker were you using before?   

Jon - you asked the question, so... like it or not, you get the answer.  But if anyone accuses me of being long-winded ( @cschaaf in particular ), I am blaming it squarely on you....

A few years back, my husband, older daughter and I went to a local BBQ store looking to buy a new gasser since we've always enjoyed cooking outdoors.  They happened to be having an EggFest (crazy in the middle of rural Wyoming, I know).  So, we were kind of wandering around not really too interested in the eggs, but sampling the food and such.  Honestly I wasn't impressed with any of it.  And knowing what I know now, the people manning the eggs didn't really know what they were doing either.  Anyway, we went inside to look at the Weber gassers and gave our daughter a few bucks to entertain herself.  They had some sort of game that you could play to win tickets for a drawing.  Now, I can only describe this game as beer pong - though obviously there was no beer involved.  So, by the time the event was wrapping up, she had quite the stash of tickets.  Where she got the gift of being a natural at that game, I'll never know.....  :shock:  Long story short (kind of) - we walked away with a Mini Big Green Egg as a prize.  It sat in the garage for months before I played with it one day out of boredom - think I did an Easter ham on it now that I think about it....  Anyway, I was hooked after the first time.  Bought a Vision shortly after that, and then an Akorn Jr, and another Akorn Jr. (because the black came out and I can't stand red), and then I found a used black Big Joe last fall.... In any case,  I totally fell in love with kamado cooking.  And winning that Mini BGE is what started it all.  So, I consider it Kismet - my lot in life - to have landed where I'm at, and that's how I came up with my username. :)

I primarily had been using my Vision and more recently Big Joe, down on a concrete patio in my back yard over the summer.  In the winter I have been using the Akorn Jr and sometimes Mini BGE (though it's tiny) that I can keep in the garage.  But I don't like Akorn Jr. to get wet which isn't ideal because of snow frequently this time of year and the wind is atrocious as well.....  And my back yard and deck is on the north side of the house, so my winter access to my concrete patio stinks since I have to go out on the deck, down the stairs and around the house.  That's how I decided and justified a Komodo Kamado to myself (really it didn't take much to convince me) and my husband (that was a slightly tougher sell and we may have a full reloading setup showing up sometime soon in what appears to have been some sort of scheme to keep things "fair").  The KK will go on the back deck and be easy access for me year round.  I wouldn't have felt cozy with any of the other kamado's living there.  And it will join my husbands Weber Summit gasser and Traeger Timberline and our Blackstone Pizza Oven.  

There you have it... more than you bargained for in an answer, right. :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

I can see why that colour pushed you over the top, it is stunning. I bet this buying experience was like none other, in a very good way.emoji4.pngemoji4.pngemoji4.png

I agree - it is stunning - that's about the best word I've found.  It was an experience like none other in many ways and one that I will always remember.  So happy to finally be here!  

3 hours ago, tony b said:

Welcome to the Obsession! Can't wait to see you fire that beauty up and snaps some pics of the yummy food we all expect from you!

Hope I can deliver on that Tony... I'm going to try my best. :)

3 hours ago, dj-ia said:

Congrats and welcome over here!   That is a very very Terra 21”.  Extremely unique to say the least!  Stunning!!

I think you're responsible.... so I owe you a "thanks"!  My KK fever was reignited something fierce after looking yours over.  Made that call and talked to Dennis and kind of confirmed that the 23" Ultimate wasn't my first choice.  Sure hope you find the right home for yours - it's a beauty and a shame you have to give it up. 

2 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Nice choice. Tiles are unique, sorta rounded on the corners and tapered edges...a hybrid. Best of luck.

Thanks - it's definitely unique!  I love it. :)

2 hours ago, Shuley said:

So glad to see you over here KK! 

The addiction only gets worse from here.... 

I wanted to wait until I had mine to get active over here... don't really know why, just struck me as the way to play it.  LOL.

9 hours ago, ckreef said:

Welcome aboard. You're going to have to show them the driveway tacos. 

And I present...... Driveway Tacos:

Made a satay type marinade as I was going for an Indonesian flair....

IMG_8929.thumb.JPG.5cf3ac28205c38b0bbffa62061517c88.JPG

And thin sliced some beef and chicken - chicken not pictured since I don't touch much once raw poultry is in play.

IMG_8930.thumb.JPG.b8389abf2bb2a32474ad1a7d4cfd2dd7.JPG

IMG_8931.thumb.JPG.08c898f2090642f303ddaba620d937e0.JPG

Thought a peanut sauce slaw would go well with the satay tacos.... was lazy and didn't make my own peanut sauce - but this wasn't bad..

IMG_9037.thumb.JPG.dd643409c0e447d610b75f5bd8319a31.JPG

IMG_9038.thumb.JPG.56cee0b9fb8b731c1185b0bc20e549d6.JPG

IMG_9048.thumb.JPG.ab1d8dc5186cd4fb13a02e83282cd505.JPG

Then onto my taco shells - used egg roll wrappers spritzed with oil and baked on my taco rack in the KK.

IMG_9045.thumb.JPG.757ed26fa84129bf9d7e4ae56c2afaa0.JPG

IMG_9052.thumb.JPG.615c06f0ddb7ff0cc567de401c488fdf.JPG

Did the beef and chicken in the pan... honestly since it's not where I want it yet, don't really want to dirty it too much right now.  

IMG_9062.thumb.JPG.974eb34c96f1f8906cd6a77ce5400f98.JPG

My teaser photo from the KG forum.  I had a lot of fun with my big reveal over there.  @ckreef helped - I had been dropping hints all month long and he would comment on them.  Cracked me up while I patiently awaited the big day when it arrived.  

IMG_9067.thumb.JPG.0d68fcc82416e88d9cfbeaddecbb87f8.JPG

IMG_9070.thumb.JPG.e529a06a81c727194414c04c2847534c.JPG

Brought in and chopped up more...

IMG_9071.thumb.JPG.79d869b39745b098204f93dd7bd9be1b.JPG

And I present.... Indonesian Driveway Tacos as my KK's maiden voyage....

IMG_9078.thumb.JPG.10e38d198b23d482c044ad7bcef07a67.JPG

• Like 7

10 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Great story..........thanks for writing it out.   Have a similar one but have to "blame" the KK purchase on MacKenzie and Bosco!!!  :thumbup: 

• Like 1

She left out the drama of the driveway tacos.

Last day to enter the taco challenge on Guru. We are all expecting any entry from her but where is her entry? Nobody knows about the KK. I keep pushing her to just unbox it and  do it in the driveway. Don't tell anyone just do it. Well, work kept bugging her all day long. At around  10 pm with just enough time to get the tacos entered she pulls off the cook. 

And finally the cat was out of the bag. KK has a KK. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

She left out the drama of the driveway tacos.

I keep pushing her to just unbox it and  do it in the driveway. Don't tell anyone just do it. 

So KK delivery looked to be Tuesday of this week from my tracking. I checked it Friday morning and didn’t look like it had even left Utah yet. Was shocked silly when the freight company called me on Friday morning to setup delivery. My husband was off work and I was getting my tail kicked and couldn’t leave work. They said they would call 30 minutes out so I could be there for the delivery too. Well, they didn’t call and I get a text from the husband saying so much for a call with a picture of the crate in the garage. So... missed out on all the on the truck and being offloaded pics.... 

Anyway, I had given up on the idea of a KK challenge cook, so the early delivery really threw a wrench in my plans once @ckreef piped up and nonchalantly mentioned me getting up early, having Christmas in March and cooking in my driveway... which I of course thought was hilarious. I mean I pretty much had to do it after that...  lol. 

And I’m glad I did. Loved every minute of it. :)

• Like 1

I sneaked a look at the guru site this morning. The reveal was very funny.  Mainly because KK fooled them so well even though all the clues were there.  I guess they will get to understand that getting a KK is indeed an Obsession and once someone jokes about it it is sure to come true, sooner or later.  What fun.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Drive way tacos I love it!! They look yummy bet the neighbors wanted some lol. Look forward to more of you great cooks

Thanks, Bruce!  My joke over there was hoping that driveway tacos didn’t turn into street tacos!  It was a little nerve racking. Lol. She definitely would have careened down the driveway into the street if we hadn’t chocked her up.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Thanks, Bruce!  My joke over there was hoping that driveway tacos didn’t turn into street tacos!  It was a little nerve racking. Lol. She definitely would have careened down the driveway into the street if we hadn’t chocked her up.  

There's a whole thread on here somewhere about chockin you KK. Better safe than sorry for sure. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 8:46 PM, KismetKamado said:

Jon - you asked the question, so... like it or not, you get the answer.  But if anyone accuses me of being long-winded ( @cschaaf in particular ), I am blaming it squarely on you....

A few years back, my husband, older daughter and I went to a local BBQ store looking to buy a new gasser since we've always enjoyed cooking outdoors.  They happened to be having an EggFest (crazy in the middle of rural Wyoming, I know).  So, we were kind of wandering around not really too interested in the eggs, but sampling the food and such.  Honestly I wasn't impressed with any of it.  And knowing what I know now, the people manning the eggs didn't really know what they were doing either.  Anyway, we went inside to look at the Weber gassers and gave our daughter a few bucks to entertain herself.  They had some sort of game that you could play to win tickets for a drawing.  Now, I can only describe this game as beer pong - though obviously there was no beer involved.  So, by the time the event was wrapping up, she had quite the stash of tickets.  Where she got the gift of being a natural at that game, I'll never know.....  :shock:  Long story short (kind of) - we walked away with a Mini Big Green Egg as a prize.  It sat in the garage for months before I played with it one day out of boredom - think I did an Easter ham on it now that I think about it....  Anyway, I was hooked after the first time.  Bought a Vision shortly after that, and then an Akorn Jr, and another Akorn Jr. (because the black came out and I can't stand red), and then I found a used black Big Joe last fall.... In any case,  I totally fell in love with kamado cooking.  And winning that Mini BGE is what started it all.  So, I consider it Kismet - my lot in life - to have landed where I'm at, and that's how I came up with my username. :)

I primarily had been using my Vision and more recently Big Joe, down on a concrete patio in my back yard over the summer.  In the winter I have been using the Akorn Jr and sometimes Mini BGE (though it's tiny) that I can keep in the garage.  But I don't like Akorn Jr. to get wet which isn't ideal because of snow frequently this time of year and the wind is atrocious as well.....  And my back yard and deck is on the north side of the house, so my winter access to my concrete patio stinks since I have to go out on the deck, down the stairs and around the house.  That's how I decided and justified a Komodo Kamado to myself (really it didn't take much to convince me) and my husband (that was a slightly tougher sell and we may have a full reloading setup showing up sometime soon in what appears to have been some sort of scheme to keep things "fair").  The KK will go on the back deck and be easy access for me year round.  I wouldn't have felt cozy with any of the other kamado's living there.  And it will join my husbands Weber Summit gasser and Traeger Timberline and our Blackstone Pizza Oven.  

I think my screen ran out of ink after that post. ;) 

• Haha 2