tekobo

La Chamba from Columbia to the US to the UK to Me!

I have been looking jealously at your posts about La Chamba cookware for some time.  Postage to the UK looked prohibitive until I got into a conversation with Charles at My Toque.  Their postage charge looked the most reasonable and he gave me a discount for buying a few pieces.  The pieces, finally, arrived today.  Well, they didn't so much as arrive as get rescued from the local Parcel Force depot when I got fed up waiting for the paperwork to get sorted!

Box full of polar bear poo, as The Husband calls it.

fullsizeoutput_8fc.thumb.jpeg.9ad113ce8ae6e0adb975cc8cf6b47ee9.jpeg

Beautiful artisanal ceramics.  Looking to use the pots to cook up dishes in real time and also in the residual heat when I have finished my main cook.  The lids don't all fit tightly but well enough for my purposes.  

oT70Y91oSH2IE7P2foYIDw.thumb.jpg.ae8d922e1950a4bff3188d89df7c3ca3.jpg

Here is the large roasting pan (Their model no SPX) in the 23".  I ordered two of these.  One broke in transit.  It was the only breakage and I am in touch with them about insurance.  

fullsizeoutput_8fb.thumb.jpeg.25d3e3ec0356cc549d95842a2359f691.jpeg

And the 5.5qt RS6 oval roaster fits just fine in the 21"

QuW2Y7hNRO2oJIU5nCwcMQ.thumb.jpg.1fa5b06dddd84e26d444a613ace2383d.jpg

The 10qt RS15 didn't fit in either KK but, happily, does fit in my indoor oven.  Here is Serena, looking grumpy about being asked to give you an idea of the scale of this enormous pot.  She looks small but actually weighs 6kg.  I am convinced she swallowed something heavy somewhere along the way.   

QdbxkpnSRay7U2CHqTqQXQ.thumb.jpg.2604252f70c0e50a6ff36e62d418c7ab.jpg

5ac62b263d3da_qB7VKvQRbmWA14909xqg.thumb.jpg.bc66d38e4a18188913344e9b0c57c7b7.jpg

And yes, the sun does shine in the UK.  Sometimes.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, tekobo said:

Box full of polar bear poo, as The Husband calls it.

And yes, the sun does shine in the UK.  Sometimes. :smt043

Plus, glad to learn that the putty tat wasn't the break in cook for that pot! :laughing9:

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

It all looks lovely especially the shots with Serena

53 minutes ago, tony b said:

Plus, glad to learn that the putty tat wasn't the break in cook for that pot! :laughing9:

Serena's a feisty kitty and won't stay still long enough to become a break-in cook!  She's limbering up for her second favourite activity of the summer, aside from sleeping in the sun, which is catching and eating flies and bees in mid air.  She's a real ace at it.

3 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Now to get cooking. :-D

Yes, cooking is the point of all of this.  No plans yet.  I need one of the pans to speak to me and say they want to be the first into one of the KKs.  I've never made flat breads over a BBQ so the comal might be the one to take the prize.  Or maybe 'taters in the roasting pan.  Or...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

She's limbering up for her second favourite activity of the summer, aside from sleeping in the sun, which is catching and eating flies and bees in mid air.  She's a real ace at it.

My dogs try to catch flies in mid-air, but rarely succeed. But, it's funny as hell watching them leap about and snap at them! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

Tekebo, your cat looks like an Ocelot. Thats a big pot, are you cooking for navy?

Hey, Serena is bred to look like an Ocelot/leopard but she is actually a Bengal.  We have four of them and they definitely "get in your business" which is what a breeder told us before we foolishly(?) moved from owning old fluffy cats to owning young mad cats.

And yes, I do cook for the navy.  The Husband is an ex naval officer and we live in a navy town :)

@tony b here funny to watch but deadly for the insects.  Good thing for birds is that they have learned to stay out of our garden.  Sad for us although we can watch them over the wall in other people's gardens.  Great side benefit is that we can grow and ripen really tasty berries and they don't get eaten before we get to them. 

• Like 3

Thanks @ckreef and @KismetKamado.  I too adore ceramics and am so very happy to have these.  A potter friend introduced me to donabe pots by way of a gorgeous cookbook called, very originally, Donabe.  They too are gorgeous and the book helped me understand why @Jon B. is so happy with his.  These La Chamba pots were my 50th birthday present to myself. In 10 months and x days time I hope to have found enough excuses to buy myself a donabe for my 51st!

• Like 2

Hi @Paul.  You type @ and then start to type the person's name and a menu comes up with everyone whose name starts with that series of letters. You just pick the person off the list.  The reason I do it is that I think it alerts them to the fact that you have referred to them.  Do you get a notification  (or two) when I say @Paul, @Paul

• Thanks 1

The Husband was not impressed when I told him that the largest pot didn't fit in the KK.  "What?  You didn't measure it before ordering?".  Then he asked, "Are you sure it doesn't fit?".  I mumbled something about the website saying the dimensions were approximate but had to admit that I hadn't checked beforehand.  I wasn't offended by his challenge - we are both engineers and tend to question and push back rather than just accept what the other says in order to have an easy life. 

Anyway, I am glad that he was unimpressed by the fact that I had bought a pot for the KK that didn't actually fit the KK.  This morning I went out and tried the RS15 out on the lower grate in the 23".  Guess what?  It fits!  Hurrah!  

5afNb2UqQUCkJRpnOUNJhA.thumb.jpg.1c78d8bc39ccf48b2dfe9f755d969a70.jpg

As you can see we have rain and not much sun today.  You can't have everything.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Ok Tekobo is see the pot fits but is there anything in it?

Cheeky!  I have plans I'll have you know.  Just need to read the instructions for the pots. Don't want to break one on the very first cook!

• Like 3

I don’t blame you. Now you have me looking at these pots lol. I have a clay or ceramic pot that belonged to my dad I’ve never used it,maybe I should get it out and try it. I’ll wait to see what you your first is and maybe try that.

It’s got to be at least 60 years old i guess I’ve hung on to all this time as a rememberance of my dad, he was the cook in our family.

• Like 3