TomC

23 or 21

Hi all,

I am undecided about which to buy. I don't do large amounts of groups but will want to do 2-3 rack of ribs. I will be doing many pizza's. The 21 has a higher cap which may be a slight advantage for pizza but 23 is bigger grill surface. Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated

Tom

I’ve done pizza on my 23 no issues. I think the real difference is to hi cap, or not to hi cap. The 23 is the original flagship of the KK fleet, and I personally think it’s the best looking of the bunch. Regardless, they both are incredible grills, you can’t go wrong either way. Or get both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The stock answer to your question is, "go as big as you can afford to, you won't regret it".  An equally good answer is, "get what suits your pocket better,  you won't regret it and you can buy some good meat with the savings". The main thing is you'll do well either way.

You would think I would be the ideal person to help with this problem, given I own a 21 and a 23, but it is not that easy to come down on one side or the other.  I have not yet cooked pizza on mine and I have never been in a situation where I had to use just the 21 or the 23. However, I think I should be able to help to settle the grill space concern.  I can't do it just now but when I next have a big meat delivery I will lay out say, a bunch of wings or a number of rib racks on the 23 and then the 21 so you can see the difference.  I suspect the answer is "not enough to matter".  The big step up is with the 32" and that was not in my reckoning and doesn't seem to be in yours. Others with the 21" may be able to reassure you about what they can fit on it.  

Whatever you choose, welcome to the community and I hope you get your hands on a KK soon!

On 4/6/2018 at 3:05 AM, TomC said:
Hi all,
I am undecided about which to buy. I don't do large amounts of groups but will want to do 2-3 rack of ribs. I will be doing many pizza's. The 21 has a higher cap which may be a slight advantage for pizza but 23 is bigger grill surface. Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated
Tom

I have the 22 hi cap, which Dennis only made for a short time. Personally I love the hi cap. It does make a fantastic pizza and no problem fitting 2 or 3 racks of ribs. Just like Rob I think the style of the hi cap grill is the most beautiful. I suspect what ever one you get you too will think it is the most beautiful and you will be correct.

Fortunately, when I pulled the trigger, there were only 2 sizes of KK - the OTB 23" and the baby one (19.5"), or I'd have been in the same dilemma as you folks. 

Like others have said, get the biggest size that will fit your budget. But, don't dally too long making the decision, as you will be wasting precious cooking time otherwise! 

Folks,

Thank you all for the replies. Very much appreciated. Yet I am no where closer to a decision. Reminds me of buying a TV. In the store too many decisions. Once you get it home it looks great.

Very much appreciate all the insight.

Best to you all

Tom

I recently went through this dilemma myself.  I called and talked it through with Dennis, and landed where I thought I would.  I prefer the look and function of the hi-cap lid more and also the increased direct grilling area achieved with the grill shaped instead of round firebox and charcoal basket.  Between that and the difference in price, I easily landed on the 21.  Now, that said, there are some advantages to the round firebox and charcoal basket as well, since you can clock your basket splitter however you like depending on what you're doing (rotisserie you probably want coals banked front to back instead of side to side, for a direct sear you may want to be clocked at an angle depending on which hand you wield your tongs in, etc).  I think the answer all of us can agree on is to give Dennis a call sometime and talk through what your personal cooking style is to see if you can determine which one is going to fit you best.  You won't regret that you did - and you definitely won't feel pressured into making any sort of decision or purchase commitment.  And you might walk away with some sort of idea for a cook you never dreamed of.  If I ever see champagne grapes anywhere, I can guarantee you I am going to swoop them up and make up the most amazing and whimsically splendid batch of ABT's there ever was to be had in all of Wyoming after Dennis shared with me how he does them. :)

Edited by KismetKamado
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TomC said:

Hi all,

Tom

You’ve probably already seen it, but the dimensions of both for comparison are here: https://komodokamado.com/pages/six-komodo-kamado-grills

Not much difference in grill area between the two. Really comes down to:

• Which looks better to you
  • Hi-cap or not
  • Round, rotatable basket vs more area
  • Price

What is an ABT? I occasionally find champagne grapes.

I am leaning toward the 21. I had a quick online chat with Dennis who mentioned that the hi cap lends itself to pizza making. All the grills look great. 

Thanks for all the input

Well, an ABT is an "Atomic Buffalo Turd"... I'm sorry I had to type that out, but it is what it is...  It's a Jalapeño that is cut in half, usually stuffed with a cream cheese mixture and then wrapped in bacon and smoked....  Dennis mentioned adding the champagne grapes to the filling for a little burst of sweetness.  I have done mine with a bit of mango preserves for that sweetness before, but seems that the champagne grape will actually burst and pop as eaten... anyway, I was a bit overwhelmed with talking with Dennis and actually making a call I thought about doing a million times over for the past year or more.... so I might not have all the details right.  But I know if we asked him, he would fill us in.

We'll look forward to hearing what direction you decided to go when you pull the trigger. :)

• Like 1

I have a 23 and it for sure fills all my needs ...imo if I had to pick between them both it would be the 23 every time but on the flip side the high cap is very nice. I cook for 2-4 people most the time and on the 23 I find that sometimes there is lack of space on the main grill(most of the time its perfect and not an issue) and down the line I want the 32 ...

good luck on your decision but whatever you decide you are going to absolutely love cooking on it.

Tom, i am so pleased that you are getting more expert advice from others!  I hope it helps with your decision.

Everyone, for my part, when I was making my long and drawn out buying decision it would have been good to see how much you could cook on each level of the different KKs that are available.  There are pictures dotted around the place, and I remember that @Paul kindly posted a picture of his 16" fully laden, but it would be great if these could be assembled in one place.  Who to ask to set up a pinned page so that we can each post pictures of big cooks to help people visualise what is possible with each KK?  

Completely randomly and out of the blue, I have just developed a crush on the 22" table top.  No one talks about it but it is beautiful in its own sweet way.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 2

Part of my intro into Kamado style cooking (back on the old POSK forum), was ABTs and the Baconator (aka Fatty). I was hooked and never looked back. 

Baconator002.thumb.jpg.b47b3a9ae7c32b19f22b053a37b29c30.jpg

Two styles of ABTs - vertical (core out the pepper from the top and leave whole) and horizontal (boat - cut in half lenghtwise and seed. Each has their place depending the filling you're using. The down side of vertical is that you need the special rack to hold them upright. 

5ac7a49c56674_DenverlambribsABTs.thumb.JPG.ccbd4e599f981163581fb1c675ad743a.JPG

• Like 5

ABT holding rack. Sans the exploding champagne grapes. They look great.

I did pull the trigger and went for the 21. baby steps. Thanks for all the insight. Looking forward marinating a few ice cubes with my new friend. Funny thing my credit card company initially would not allow the charge. Had to get on the phone and convince a credit card rep, with a southern accent no less, that I did, in fact, want to spend $4k on a grill. Eventually she seemed came around. I figured the folks in the south would fully understand. Haven't told the wife yet. Ha!

Dan appreciate the offer. I'm California. Bit of drive especially over the Sierra's this time of year.

Tom

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1