TomC

23 or 21

10 hours ago, tekobo said:

Completely randomly and out of the blue, I have just developed a crush on the 22" table top.  No one talks about it but it is beautiful in its own sweet way.  

I'm thinking about the 22 TT for my second KK. I love the looks of the 23 and the 32 has more than enough real estate to handle anything I would want to do. Plus I read the 32 is a true two zone cooker. All that being said, the 22 looks like the best fit for the wife & I. I agree with buying the biggest you can afford but, at the end of the day what am I going to have the most fun with and use the most.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2018 at 10:40 AM, TomC said:

What is an ABT? I occasionally find champagne grapes.

I am leaning toward the 21. I had a quick online chat with Dennis who mentioned that the hi cap lends itself to pizza making. All the grills look great. 

Thanks for all the input

I'm guessing I was talking about baking pizza in general.. I've never seen anything or hear anything that would imply the high caps cook any differently.. Nobody every complained about the hight above the 23" grills upper grate.. you can cook pretty much anything you want up there including a standard turkey.. The 32" BB was designed with the tall shoulders because I thought it may be used commercially.. the tall shoulders were then give to the 19" and 16" because they are so small anyway.. I tried to make the 21" with a combination of both the 23" and HiCap lids..  Been asked before if I will make a high capacity lid for the 23" in the future.. and it will never happen.. in fact I was disappointed that the 21" did not more obviously look like it had more 23" design elements.  

When it comes to size the 23" is definitely quite a bit larger.. remember how much larger a 17" pizza is than a 15" pie.

18 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Lol do I see a 22” table top in your future Tekobo?

Ha ha Bruce .  Nope.  I need to focus on the basics here like making some space for storage and tables and getting some power out to the KKs so that I can try out the rotisserie.  Your comment made me wonder what I would do if I had infinite resources though.  With the type of space and land that you have in the US I might go for a 42" specially for parties.  Having said that, I owe The Husband an Argentinian grill.  And I have a konro grill on the way for those small hot Japanese bites.  So many choices.  Happily they are mostly too expensive in space and money to worry about.  Having so much fun trying out new stuff in my current KKs.  

7 hours ago, Paul said:

I'm thinking about the 22 TT for my second KK.

Yippee Paul!  Looking forward to your choice process and, most importantly, finding out what colour you choose!

12 hours ago, TomC said:

I did pull the trigger and went for the 21. baby steps. .... Haven't told the wife yet. Ha!

Congratulations on your choice Tom.  And good luck with the wife.  We are right behind you!

• Like 1

@TomC - at least you could use a CC. Back in the day, we had to pay with direct money transfers, which meant actually going down to the main branch of the bank to sign paperwork that confirmed I REALLY DID WANT TO SEND THIS MONEY OVERSEAS!

@Paul Those are Cascade hops. That plant is going on about 8 years now. I harvest about 2 lbs of dried cones every year and just give away the rest as I struggle to use them up. 

@amusedtodeath Those are actually lamb ribs in that shot. They are called Denver ribs and are from the belly side of the lamb. 

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, TomC said:

my wife openly admits she married me because I can cook. I'm just tryin' to keep her happy. ( how's that for the rational? "I'm only doing this for you, sweetheart".)

I fully understand this. My new WFO is really Mrs skreef's. I bought her a new oven ;) I'll never say anything different......... To her face anyway. (maybe she won't read this) 

Heck she told me if I divorced her I could have the KK's but she's taking the oven. LOL 

BTW since it's an oven the WFO doesn't count as a purchase. Just an upgraded cooking appliance any they don't count. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tony b said:

Those are Cascade hops. That plant is going on about 8 years now. I harvest about 2 lbs of dried cones every year and just give away the rest as I struggle to use them up. 

@tony b I would have thought it is too humid in your area to grow hops. From what I understand Cascade is a pretty universal hop that can be used in numerous beer recipes.

Used to be a standard in most Pale Ales and IPAs (note: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - a classic!), but with the advent of all the new wacky strains coming from New Zealand and elsewhere, they've kinda gotten shoved to the back of the shelf in recent years. 

Cascade does well here. I tried growing Willamette, too, but they died after the 2nd winter and I didn't try again. We actually have a startup hop farm about 30 miles from here. They are growing a decent variety - a dozen or so. 

• Like 1

I have a 23" and the 22" Hi Cap, which I believe is now the 21" Hi Cap.  If I could only have one of them, it'd be the 23".  I find more surface area on the grates is more valuable than the extra capacity in the lid.  You can cook a whole lot of food in either one.

I recently went through this dilemma myself.  I called and talked it through with Dennis, and landed where I thought I would.  I prefer the look and function of the hi-cap lid more and also the increased direct grilling area achieved with the grill shaped instead of round firebox and charcoal basket.  Between that and the difference in price, I easily landed on the 21.  Now, that said, there are some advantages to the round firebox and charcoal basket as well, since you can clock your basket splitter however you like depending on what you're doing (rotisserie you probably want coals banked front to back instead of side to side, for a direct sear you may want to be clocked at an angle depending on which hand you wield your tongs in, etc).  I think the answer all of us can agree on is to give Dennis a call sometime and talk through what your personal cooking style is to see if you can determine which one is going to fit you best.  You won't regret that you did - and you definitely won't feel pressured into making any sort of decision or purchase commitment.  And you might walk away with some sort of idea for a cook you never dreamed of.  If I ever see champagne grapes anywhere, I can guarantee you I am going to swoop them up and make up the most amazing and whimsically splendid batch of ABT's there ever was to be had in all of Wyoming after Dennis shared with me how he does them.

Please tell us about this abt recipe

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

2 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Please tell us about this abt recipe

Oh my. Have we been delinquent in our cultural cross-pollination? You gave us Vegemite. Thank you. We give you Atomic Buffalo Turds. ABT’s. Cut jalapeños in half lengthwise, leaving the stem end intact. Scoop out the seeds and membrane to create a canoe. Stuff the canoe with whatever you like, but the Classic is a mixture of cream cheese, grated cheddar, and the rub of your choice. Wrap each turd with a strip of bacon. Smoke at 225-230 for 2’ish hours.

In the Vegemite, ABT exchange, you definitely got the better end of the deal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh my. Have we been delinquent in our cultural cross-pollination? You gave us Vegemite. Thank you. We give you Atomic Buffalo Turds. ABT’s. Cut jalapeños in half lengthwise, leaving the stem end intact. Scoop out the seeds and membrane to create a canoe. Stuff the canoe with whatever you like, but the Classic is a mixture of cream cheese, grated cheddar, and the rub of your choice. Wrap each turd with a strip of bacon. Smoke at 225-230 for 2’ish hours.
In the Vegemite, ABT exchange, you definitely got the better end of the deal.
Have know about ABT'S for years lol .you should try vegemite with them .lol was more interested in the champagne grapes mix

2 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

Have know about ABT'S for years lol .you should try vegemite with them .lol was more interested in the champagne grapes mix

Vegemite ABT’s...where’s @Bruce Pearson? Maybe we can get him to try this for us before we ruin our children’s lives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1