bb3

Temp Control Units

Hello from Texas,

Wanted to see if  anyone has tried the new Fireboard temperature control unit/ thermometer? I have been using the BBQ Guru and Thermoworks  Smoke unit to control and monitor cooks, but this unit combines everything into one small unit including fan control  monitoring and adjustments on iPhone. Appreciate any input.

• Like 1

Never heard of them, but if Amazing Ribs (Meathead) gives them a Gold Medal, then it must be good stuff. I was a bit shocked at the price, given that the blower and connection are "add ons" to the basic controller. 

I have a Guru Digi-Q-II that I've owned for almost a decade. Also have the MEATER wireless probe and a couple of standard dual-probe Mavericks. 

Never heard of them, but if Amazing Ribs (Meathead) gives them a Gold Medal, then it must be good stuff. I was a bit shocked at the price, given that the blower and connection are "add ons" to the basic controller. 
I have a Guru Digi-Q-II that I've owned for almost a decade. Also have the MEATER wireless probe and a couple of standard dual-probe Mavericks. 

Tony, how is the meater? Thinking of adding it to my xmas list so the wife can buy me something I need for once. I’m impossible to shop for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, sfdrew28 said:

Tony, how is the meater? Thinking of adding it to my xmas list so the wife can buy me something I need for once. I’m impossible to shop for.

I love The Meater.  It does what it's suppose to do and it is easy to use.  I have had all of the other Remote Thermometer and so far this is working great.  I even ordered the Block, which I am still waiting for but the Company wants to get it done right.  I would not wait until Christmas.

The MEATER can be used when using the Rotisserie.  I have started using the MEATER when grilling Steaks, especially when doing Reverse Sear.  Once it reaches a certain Temp, I take out the MEATER to do the Reverse Sear.

• Like 1

I love The Meater.  It does what it's suppose to do and it is easy to use.  I have had all of the other Remote Thermometer and so far this is working great.  I even ordered the Block, which I am still waiting for but the Company wants to get it done right.  I would not wait until Christmas.
The MEATER can be used when using the Rotisserie.  I have started using the MEATER when grilling Steaks, especially when doing Reverse Sear.  Once it reaches a certain Temp, I take out the MEATER to do the Reverse Sear.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you use the WiFi? I heard the Bluetooth doesn’t travel well through the Komodo walls too well.

7 hours ago, sfdrew28 said:

Thanks for the feedback. Do you use the WiFi? I heard the Bluetooth doesn’t travel well through the Komodo walls too well.

I have the MEATER as well and can attest to its merits. MEATER is a Bluetooth device. You need to have a Bluetooth receiver (your phone or tablet) nearby to pick up the signal, but it then records the data in the cloud via WiFi that you can read anywhere. My screened in porch is right above my KK’s, so I just put my phone or tablet there as the receiver and connect the app to the cloud using a second device. The pic shows where my receiver is relative to the KK. MEATER block will change that by becoming your Bluetooth receiving, WiFi cloud connecting device. 

40F5A331-9628-4DE1-8F84-D77C7BE4702A.thumb.jpeg.5967c460fac49f6dc084f5f5112a3dc7.jpeg

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 1

As others have attested, the MEATER works well and is the only way to constantly monitor a rotisserie cook, which is why I jumped on it as a Kickstarter (crowd funding). I have intermittent problems with the signal dropping out, but it kicks back in right away without any significant loss of data. Worst case of this was actually cooking a prime rib roast for Christmas dinner at my SIL's house in her regular oven. It just struggled to stay connected and my phone was only 6 ft away. I've never had that bad of a problem with using it in the KK. Go figure?? 

They've had several setbacks in getting the Block version into production, but hopefully they have most of those sorted out and will be beta testing shortly and going into actual production this summer. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all for feedback and new ideas.

I agree with Shuley that temp control on the KK is excellent  . I do most of my cooks without  my BBQ Guru  and Thermoworks Smoke but I do occasionally  like the ability to check the pit and especially food temp on longer cooks ( and I really like  having the info sent to my IPhone during overnight cooks when I am upstairs). 

The Meater sound like a great option to monitor food temp when using rotisserie  and a nice alternative to remote food temp monitoring - thanks Tony b, Im not sure how I missed that one.

As others have attested, the MEATER works well and is the only way to constantly monitor a rotisserie cook, which is why I jumped on it as a Kickstarter (crowd funding). I have intermittent problems with the signal dropping out, but it kicks back in right away without any significant loss of data. Worst case of this was actually cooking a prime rib roast for Christmas dinner at my SIL's house in her regular oven. It just struggled to stay connected and my phone was only 6 ft away. I've never had that bad of a problem with using it in the KK. Go figure?? 
They've had several setbacks in getting the Block version into production, but hopefully they have most of those sorted out and will be beta testing shortly and going into actual production this summer. 

I’m going to wait until the Meater block comes along. I need the WiFi as I’m not in the mood to have my iPad being out of service during all of my twelve hour cooks. Looks really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I usually don't use mine except on rotisserie cooks, which are never more than a couple of hours, so not a big deal for me. The app runs in the background, so you can use the phone/tablet to do other things, it just anchors you physically to staying close to the probe. I can sit at my dining room table and use the phone while running Meater on the KK on the deck. YMMV