ckreef

WFO Installation Thread

I'm going to use this thread to document my WFO Installation for anyone interested. It'll probably get an update once or twice a week as progress is made. I'm guessing  this is going to take 4-6 weeks before we have ignition. Let's get started. 

I figured we need to start with a before picture for future comparison. 

OI1a.thumb.jpg.9d498bab150b6bc787a98fde3dfa1b03.jpg

I scrounged around the yard and came up with some extra pavers. This should be enough for a small work area in front of the WFO. If I come up  short I could probably scrounge up a few more. 

OI1b.thumb.jpg.675c7f34287d8803adc4a423bccf7144.jpg

Removed a fence section and relocated Mrs skreef's rose bush. Just outside of that opening will be a 3' deep work area using the pavers from above. The WFO oven will sit behind that with a small counter top off to the side to put hot items on. 

OI1c.thumb.jpg.34eef41c4c7a6223114ff032408ab55d.jpg

On Saturday we went by a large landscaping supplier. We have our building blocks picked out and will buy them towards the end of the week.

I do have an underground electrical cable (for the pond pump) that I need to dig up and reconfigure. In the end I'll have electricity out at the WFO. This is going to be a pain in the rear but it basically needs to happen before I can really move forward (hopefully next weekend). 

Stay tuned more to come. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Looking forward to see this project move forward. I’m excited to see the finished product and first cook

I'm really excited about this too. Never really thought I would spend the money on a WFO but then again thought the same thing  about my 2 KK's. 

Going to get this together as quickly as possible but some of the delay has to do with funds. Trying to get this accomplished out of extra paycheck funds not savings and there is a bunch more to buy. 

• Like 2

The man on a mission certainly picked a good spot. Would you be using stone dust and a tamper with a little sand on the top with those pavers Mr ckreef.  Just sayin.  5 inch slab is good. Lookin to see the final product and the hard work I don't have to do.  Kinda like a home improvement or flip this house show, gonna go nationwide after this and maybe quit your job?  Just sayin.  Think of it as an adventure, I do, life's pleasures. Good luck

• Like 1

Charles, 

Question(s) for you.............are you planning on covering the oven or building a roof over the area?   Are you worried about any kind of freeze/thaw expansion on the outside tiles & grout??  Is the SS chimney easily removable???  

Thanks,  Jon B.

(Not that I really looked closely at the new toy or anything like that) 

• Like 3

Hey Charles, I did two brick patio's, one 16x12 with a stone dust base and sand approx. 1 inch on top to set the level of one brick to the next. The other was straight sand about 3-.4 inches thick about 12x6 in front of a slider.  The sand one sunk approx. an inch and the stone dust stayed right where I placed it. For what it's worth I'd lay down a pad and throw some nice tile over the top.  I didn't look at closely either

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

Charles, 

Question(s) for you.............are you planning on covering the oven or building a roof over the area?   Are you worried about any kind of freeze/thaw expansion on the outside tiles & grout??  Is the SS chimney easily removable???  

Thanks,  Jon B.

(Not that I really looked closely at the new toy or anything like that) 

No building or covering for now. Something to think about in the future. Living in middle GA we don't have to worry a lot about freeze/thaw cycles. It only got to just barely freezing temps a handful of nights this past winter. 

The chimney extension and rain cap just slide on for now. I was thinking about maybe installing a couple SS screws to assure it stayed in place during a big storm. I doubt they would blow off but they are an odd size and a bit expensive so I don't want to take any chances. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

Just watched the video on how they are made................Very Impressive!!!!

I too thought it was a really great video. I especially liked him culling through the bricks to find just the right one and also the cement sprayer was pretty kewl. 

Watching that video definitely swayed me to these as opposed to other options. Also the stone finish fits in with my somewhat rustic garden area. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I too thought it was a really great video. I especially liked him culling through the bricks to find just the right one and also the cement sprayer was pretty kewl. 

Watching that video definitely swayed me to these as opposed to other options. Also the stone finish fits in with my somewhat rustic garden area. 

Would you mind posting a link? Super interesting. 

Beautiful. A quality piece. You know a couple of years ago I was in Portugal and noticed in the in towns proper the streets and sidewalks were all tiled up to the entrance of the shops.  A lot of work and detail. The community where I grew up had a large population of Portuguese and the tradition of fine craftsmanship played out well demonstrated in there yards and homes. As you I'm waiting for the truck to arrive, expecting the delivery on a new offset cooker and by chance was manufactured in your area. Love my KK but looking for the true BBQ profile, let's call it branching out. Simpler, mine comes on a trailer.

4 hours ago, Tyrus said:

As you I'm waiting for the truck to arrive, expecting the delivery on a new offset cooker and by chance was manufactured in your area. Love my KK but looking for the true BBQ profile, let's call it branching out. Simpler, mine comes on a trailer.

You sneaked that in Tyrus!  I hope we will get to see the delivery, unboxing and the goods you produce.  And no, don't want to interfere with this installation thread so you will need to start one of your own.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Beautiful. A quality piece. You know a couple of years ago I was in Portugal and noticed in the in towns proper the streets and sidewalks were all tiled up to the entrance of the shops.  A lot of work and detail. The community where I grew up had a large population of Portuguese and the tradition of fine craftsmanship played out well demonstrated in there yards and homes. As you I'm waiting for the truck to arrive, expecting the delivery on a new offset cooker and by chance was manufactured in your area. Love my KK but looking for the true BBQ profile, let's call it branching out. Simpler, mine comes on a trailer.

I've never used a offset. Gas grills then straight up charcoal grills then kamados. Now look where I'm at. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tony b said:

Interesting video, but was a bit disappointed that the one they showed being built didn't have the nice stone work that yours has. 

Interestingly enough they don't even have the stone covered version on the Portugal website. It is either so new they haven't updated their website or it's a special version they are doing for Authentic Pizza Ovens. The video shows the cork covered one. They are nice but I think the stone covered one looks better. 

• Like 1