ckreef

WFO Installation Thread

40 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

On one of the BBQ blogs, a member used Liquid Nails to bond his stackable blocks together in his outdoor kitchen.  Thought that was a good idea.  FYI

I read about that. There is one area of this project that I will probably do that to. 

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

Not necessary at all where I live but if I get the right type it should leave the stones with a wet/darker look which will better match the WFO. Of course I will do a test spray on a couple of blocks first to make sure it gives me the look I want. 

Also the blocks I have are stackable up to 48" without being mortared together. After I put 1,500 lbs on top I'm sure they won't go anywhere. The stackable without mortar feature is part of the reason why I bought these blocks, I might just want to move all this sometime in the future. You never know what life holds. 

Good idea.

1 hour ago, Stile88 said:

definitely a lot of work involved but it will be worth it once you see end results great progress indeed cant wait to see how this unfolds

awesome job ck

TY Stile88, we're starting to get to the fun part. 

I have a little more prep work before I dive head first into building the stand. Tonight I cut my "counter top". 

Here is the before picture. A rock slab counter top, just a little long. 

countertopA.thumb.jpg.755945a88b0a250dd90d704e0665292a.jpg

I screwed two pieces of wood together clamping the rock slab. These are actually saw guides so I can cut from both the top and bottom sides and have the cuts parallel to each other. 

countertopB.thumb.jpg.c643b98e11e36876ab6ad47a8b2176e2.jpg

I borrowed a friend's tile saw. It's a small circular saw with a water jet and a thin, diamond encrusted, blade. I made 2 passes on the top side then flipped it over and finished the cut with 2 passes from the bottom side. 

countertopC.thumb.jpg.9462da4acadbe8e1c9f14fb7c733aeb8.jpg

This is an awesome saw. Cut through it without issue and did a great job on the cut. 

countertopD.thumb.jpg.7bd49174c697d34047ebacb2032a4d27.jpg

Here is the after comparison picture. One step closer to final completion. 

countertopE.thumb.jpg.ebe147a8a1ee1c85e29635d13b723006.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Great job and I'm sure you are relieved that it all went as planned. :grin::smt026

Yes, very relieved. I was going to do a dry cut with an angle grinder and masonry bit. I was a little worried as that was the best slab the landscaping place had and I didn't want it to crack in a funny way. Once my neighbor offered up his awesome tile saw most of the worry went away. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

That is going to make a beautiful counter top, looks pretty heavy. Great idea on the way you cut it. One more step to completion yeahooo

I think it's going to be a pretty kewl counter top. Just needed a work space where I can potentially sit 500* pans down without worrying. Fits right in with the rustic theme I have going on. It's a deep not wide counter top so I'm probably going to buy another/smaller slab and make a back upper shelf. 

That slab weighs around 60 lbs after cutting off the end and only cost me about $23.

• Like 2

Internet connection at the office went down this afternoon. Nothing for me to do in the office without internet. But I had something I could do at home :) Just shy of half way done with the stand.

We'll call this a 1/2 ton of work. The other 1/2 ton should happen tomorrow evening. 

halfA.thumb.jpg.79ec22f2d72c32c8ba68587e62356e9b.jpg

This is my station for cutting 1/2 blocks. I need 1/2 blocks to stager my joints and properly interlock the blocks together. 

halfB.thumb.jpg.53d1b0d1bf0f48eda1c9cbbf8e495033.jpg

Also received a few items needed for this adventure. 12 lbs of Caputo 00 blue bag flour (this is supposed to be the best). Also an infrared temperature gun. 

halfC.thumb.jpg.2e528711b5b95db186332803127da740.jpg

halfD.thumb.jpg.562f764d64886d86c2d40091ebde6121.jpg

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Your WFO project is coming along and looking fantastic. Too bad you had to come home from work early yesterday. Ha Ha. 

Sort of thinking I need to come home from work early again today. Cough, cough - I'm starting to feel a little sick - LOL 

• Haha 4