ckreef

WFO Installation Thread

33 minutes ago, Pequod said:

What temp are you shooting for today? Curious to see how long it takes to get there. Do you have an IR gun handy so you can report floor, wall and dome temps? No other demands for now. :grin:

10:50 EST, just now lit the fire and popped the top (it's 5 o'clock somewhere, right?). Going for 750* deck temp. Yes I have an IR gun and will report Temps. Also will have before and after wood pile pictures. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10:50 am fired up the oven. 

f1050.thumb.jpg.44ebdcfbb9dba03d912a354e1672e421.jpg

12:20 pm (1 hour 30 minutes) oh crap over shot my desired temp. Deck was reading 980*, dome was giving a "Hi" error. Left the door open for about 10 minutes to let it calm down before starting on the pies. Due to where that thermometer is inside the oven it's a bit deceiving. 

f1220A.thumb.jpg.b7eb9a6ccf153f3100eafb9415670e59.jpg

f1220B.thumb.jpg.0cebdbbc69c87d5466dc21fccae846ec.jpg

All pies were hand launched straight off a wooden peel. Each cooked in less than 2 minutes. When pulled they were put on a pizza screen to transfer to the table. 

First up was a Hawaiian 

p1.thumb.jpg.e9d10e7a5a407a0b452f6e3dcaf9cb61.jpg

Next was a Pepperoni. 

p2.thumb.jpg.a46142aded6a01a2e5d8cbde63962629.jpg

Third was an anchovy for my son. 

p3.thumb.jpg.4a2054250461d48d9e9dde04dd0029a2.jpg

And finally a margarita. Need to get better at in oven pictures. 

p4A.thumb.jpg.74bb079874654f276d4bcdb319fff526.jpg

p4b.thumb.jpg.628f38c1abdbba89068a9880e31d9baa.jpg

Here is before and after pictures of the wood pile. What was used represents a 1.5 cu ft bag of Kiln dried, oak mini splits I bought at Academy Sports for $15. Wood consumption not as bad as I thought it would be. I should have had a loaf of artisan bread to go in afterwards because I had hours of residual heat left over. 

beforewp.thumb.jpg.0bad501d9e92c92310413f010bc27776.jpg

afterwp.thumb.jpg.1b9082c696e06c2561ff5f8bc671c882.jpg

For first attempt with the WFO I'm really pleased with myself. It will only get better from here. 

On a side note: the non cooked pizza sauce was my very best to date. Just a bright tomato flavor. 

Thank you everyone for following along on this WFO adventure. There will be a few more pictures in the future as we put a few finishing touches on the garden area. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Wow, what a fantastic first cook. You must be very pleased with those results. :smt060 Love it. :) :drinkers: :occasion9:

TY MacKenzie.

Although the WFO was the star of the show the non cooked pizza sauce got the academy award for best supporting actor. If only all my tomato sauces came out that good. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

CK, you mentioned that you should have a loaf of bread to go in after the pizza cook and it occurred to me that you could also have a casserole ready.

You really need 2 or 3 things ready to go for residual heat cooks. I shut the vents down right around 2 pm. Now at 6:30 pm (4.5 hours later) and it's still at least 350*f inside there. This oven reminds me of KK's with the inner  insulation layer and how well it retains heat. 

We'll have my cooks more together next weekend ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shuley said:

..... That looks so amazing.  Was it fun to mess with? 

I feel like taking a trip to Georgia now lol.  Too bad we just booked flights to London and Iceland. 

We can trade no problem - LOL. Your family comes to our house to play with live fire. Me, Mrs skreef and Hawke will go to London and Ice Land. Seems like a fair trade to me......... I'll even leave the recipe for my awesome no cook pizza sauce. Best deal you got in the last couple of years, just sayin......... ;)

50 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Gee, CK, a pizza cook on the weekend could lead to the work week of meals ready at the same time. :) :smt023:smt023

Yea I'm thinking along those lines :) If I'm going to blast through $15 worth of fuel I need to get more than pizzas out of it. 

Edited by ckreef

1 hour ago, tony b said:

:hail:

That margarita pizza was perfect!

I'm sooo shocked that your son likes anchovies on his pizza!! 

That's what he requested. I didn't eat a slice of that one - LOL 

Margarita could have used more basil. Plus I have a pizza basil trick I'll try next time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ckreef said:

All pies were hand launched straight off a wooden peel.

Impressive!  And fun, I'm guessing.

The pizzas look great.  Looking forward to seeing your latest dough recipe.  I think it should be called the 6 month prep pizza in honour of @Aussie Ora  :smt077.  For my part, I do like the doughs that take a few days to prove.  The best bit is having some left over so you have can TWO pizza nights in a row. Diet?  What diet??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

Impressive!  And fun, I'm guessing.

The pizzas look great.  Looking forward to seeing your latest dough recipe.  I think it should be called the 6 month prep pizza in honour of @Aussie Ora  :smt077.  For my part, I do like the doughs that take a few days to prove.  The best bit is having some left over so you have can TWO pizza nights in a row. Diet?  What diet??

No dough left over but there was a couple of slices left that I meant to bring to work today but forgot them. Bummer, I could have eaten them for breakfast right about now. 

This is the dough recipe I used. It makes 2 x 12" pies so I doubled the recipe. I followed this pretty much to the letter except I substituted 1 tsp (per batch) of my active starter instead of using dried yeast. I also followed the other video on how to stretch and build the pies. This dough was really easy to work with. It only took me about 60 seconds to stretch and build each pie. 

https://stellaculinary.com/recipes/baking-pastry/baking/bread/neapolitan-pizza-dough

• Thanks 1