ckreef

WFO Installation Thread

56 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

Charles...thanks for the great photos and narrative!!!!    Were you happy with the bottom of the crust??????.  

Not really happy with the bottom on these pizzas. I somewhat mis managed the fire so things should get better going forward. These are just the technicalities I need to work out but that's the fun part. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ckreef said:

Not really happy with the bottom on these pizzas. I somewhat mis managed the fire so things should get better going forward. These are just the technicalities I need to work out but that's the fun part. 

The pies looked great for the first go at it!!!!!!!  

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Shuley said:

So when I saw these pictures I had to laugh and show my husband.  Our 8 year olds favorite pizza topping is anchovies. 

I like anchovies on my pie, but my wife is disgusted by them... I just put them on half the pie and listen to her saying "don't get those things anywhere near my side!"  :shock::smt008 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Looking good ckreef great pizzas

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

TY Aussie, it's been a fun adventure so far. 

It did get it's first set of rain showers yesterday. All seems well. Hopefully the rain will move through by the weekend so I can try again. 

• Like 2

I got a couple of new accessories for the WFO. The first one is not really new just repurposed into a new accessory. I cut my old pizza peel down. It is now a coal rake/ash scoop. 

WFOAk.thumb.jpg.0e723fe0f34f508ba1b2dae55ce07262.jpg

My second accessory is a remote temperature gauge. It came with an analog gauge in celsius that the people who sells these ovens fully admits it's a piece of crap. 

WFOAa.thumb.jpg.b6980be0160c49b61cef1d560873de94.jpg

When you pull out the gauge there is a brass tube that runs to the inside of the oven. 

WFOAb.thumb.jpg.cc59dbec9c4a034e90d2def7a0be7a64.jpg

That tube sticks out on the inside of the oven by about 1 1/4". Looking at the length of the temperature gauge the thickness of that front wall is about 10 1/2"

WFOAc.thumb.jpg.4955ba088b00fe84184b0e1056c3f20a.jpg

That is being replaced by a ThermoQ Bluetooth version with a high temperature flexible ceramic probe rated up to 2,200*f. It is 10' in length. 

WFOAd.thumb.jpg.76de88ab7ae3130b55fac9fc8e33ef43.jpg

Here is the installation of this unit. At some point in the future I might shrink wrap the cable in black or gray. 

WFOAe.thumb.jpg.0b56392847e8dfe9517a9c6aa2326e14.jpg

WFOAf.thumb.jpg.9ba7efd7110e2a888e7f5f96196a191c.jpg

WFOAg.thumb.jpg.31078f757c8ce20874ff56307f9d61f9.jpg

WFOAh.thumb.jpg.bf0fd069cafce113e28ada20769b4778.jpg

This is Bluetooth connected to a tablet. The Bluetooth range easily reaches the porch where I sit. It'll reach into the house but not quit to the kitchen counter. This is the live probe display. Of course I had to start a small fire to test it out 

WFOAi.thumb.jpg.d19aac9c65f7aa5f29c558bccf480a69.jpg

It also has a graph mode. At around 9 minutes I pushed the fire to the side and added more wood. At about 18 minutes I once again added more wood. Since I wasn't cooking anything I didn't want to waste any more wood so I just let it ride at that point. 

WFOAj.thumb.jpg.a0ac0437191f28618578ea46c5ff842a.jpg

Very, very pleased with this purchase. This is basically waterproof and built like a tank. It can accommodate 2 probes and has a wide selection of probes. It's not cheap but worth every penny. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Very cool idea and install on the therm. Where is the probe end reading? Just inside the hole/ambient? Or somewhere else?

Do you have a turning peel?

:thumbup:

The probe end is pushed into the tube about 11 3/4" so it's basically reading the inside dome temperature. 

I have a really nice peel I got from GIMETAL. And of course I also have a wooden peel for launching the pies. 

peela.thumb.jpg.b904e3b628fd77dd66cf4dc2ae096c04.jpg

Now I just need Mrs skreef to finish some landscaping. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, jonj said:

I really, really don't need one of these ovens and yet somehow I want one... What a great addition!

I surely didn't need one but when has that ever stopped me :) 

If I based my purchases on need there would be a whole lot of stuff I wouldn't have including my KK's as I had a reasonably useful kamado when I bought those. 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

The probe end is pushed into the tube about 11 3/4" so it's basically reading the inside dome temperature. 

I have a really nice peel I got from GIMETAL. And of course I also have a wooden peel for launching the pies. 

peela.thumb.jpg.b904e3b628fd77dd66cf4dc2ae096c04.jpg

Now I just need Mrs skreef to finish some landscaping. 

Thanks! Still eyeing my own WFO acquisition, so watching your experience is very informative. Alas, with one daughter starting college this fall and another getting married next Spring, will be challenging to slide one onto the patio past the wife’s ever watchful eye (but it comes with a goat! Honest!).

• Haha 2