ckreef

WFO Installation Thread

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

I surely didn't need one but when has that ever stopped me :) 

If I based my purchases on need there would be a whole lot of stuff I wouldn't have including my KK's as I had a reasonably useful kamado when I bought those. 

Truer words were never spoken!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two new tools for the WFO. To the left is my original XLong gloves. To the right is my new XXLong gloves. Much better length and fit. Also a good bit more insulation. 

newta.thumb.jpg.b4bc6a358501ebd6962801bad5148be9.jpg

The metal piece above is my custom made coal barrier. My WFO has an inside diameter of 30". It sounds big but in the world of WFO's it's not. Once you have a nice big bed of glowing coals the edge of a 12"-14" pizza is fairly close to the coals. This causes the edge to cook faster than the top and bottom forcing you to constantly turn the pie or have a burnt edge (I've had burnt edges). With the coal barrier you put it in the oven just before launching pies. Put it up close to the coals so it acts as a barrier between the coals and the pizza. This should result in the pizza cooking  from the top and bottom without the edge burning so quickly. That's the theory anyway. We’ll see what happens this weekend. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tony b said:

My hunch is that the barrier will work until it heats up. While it won't burn the edges as bad as the direct heat of the coals, you still might need to rotate the pizza. Will be curious to see how it goes. 

I totally agree with that assessment. I do know I'm still going to have to turn but hopefully the barrier will help. It was a cheap piece of plain steel I got at Lowes. A moment with a cutoff wheel and 2 quick bends in a vise so the cost and effort was minimal. 

They sell these on GIMETAL but they are 45" long and cost $72 plus shipping. For the $15 I spent I figured it was a worth while experiment. 

• Like 1

That piece of metal is pretty much the same as the spartafiamma that comes with the Pizza Party oven I’m eyeing, and it’s intended to serve the same purpose. This is the favorite oven over at pizzamaking.com and also recommended (and owned) by Meathead. The folks that own them use small headed turning peels to keep the pies moving for even bake. Only 60-90 seconds, but an active bake.

11 hours ago, ckreef said:

My WFO has an inside diameter of 30". It sounds big but in the world of WFO's it's not. 

Charles,  Curiosity question............after cooking on your WFO...............would you buy a larger one if you had the chance to do over??? 

15 minutes ago, Pequod said:

That piece of metal is pretty much the same as the spartafiamma that comes with the Pizza Party oven I’m eyeing, and it’s intended to serve the same purpose. This is the favorite oven over at pizzamaking.com and also recommended (and owned) by Meathead. The folks that own them use small headed turning peels to keep the pies moving for even bake. Only 60-90 seconds, but an active bake.

I have a really nice small head peel (with long handle). Turning and moving the pies is not a problem but the metal barrier should give a more even heat. 

5 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

Charles,  Curiosity question............after cooking on your WFO...............would you buy a larger one if you had the chance to do over??? 

Absolutely YES! Another 6"-12" on the inside diameter would be nice. After saying that 30" is a very usable size especially for my small family. To keep rolling for a while at 800*+ you need a decent bed of coals and that takes up a good bit of space. It's all very manageable but a little more space would be easier. 

• Like 1