Grif054

Too much coal for pizza cook?

There is no such thing as too much lump. With nothing else said my guess is you have the top vent almost wide open. All your heat is going straight out the top vent. Close it down to 2 maybe 3 turns open at the most. Trap some heat inside to get up to high temps. I've gotten my KK's in the 800*-900* range although I don't recommend that. 

For 500* I never go more than 2 turns open on the top vent and I cook at 500* all the time. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 2

There is no such thing as too much lump. With nothing else said my guess is you have the top vent almost wide open. All your heat is going straight out the top vent. Close it down to 2 maybe 3 turns open at the most. Trap some heat inside to get up to high temps. I've gotten my KK's in the 800*-900* range although I don't recommend that. 
For 500* I never go more than 2 turns open on the top vent and I cook at 500* all the time. 

Thank you, yep thats ehat I did!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Always remember that temperature is airflow.. If you are not getting hot enough, you are not getting enough air.

For high temp cooks it's best to use only medium to large pieces of charcoal in the center of the basket. For most commercial lump this means you need to pour it in a box, give it a few shakes and then use the biggest stuff on top. Once you have filled most of the bowl, you can then pour the small stuff around the very outside against the cement firebox where is will not restrict airflow..  ;-)

• Like 2

Always remember that temperature is airflow.. If you are not getting hot enough, you are not getting enough air.
For high temp cooks it's best to use only medium to large pieces of charcoal in the center of the basket. For most commercial lump this means you need to pour it in a box, give it a few shakes and then use the biggest stuff on top. Once you have filled most of the bowl, you can then pour the small stuff around the very outside against the cement firebox where is will not restrict airflow..  ;-)
Makes sense, and thank you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Too much charcoal won't do that but you might want to check the ash levels and if it's starting to clog your basket.  I always burn through a whole load cooking pizza.  I gotta try what ckreef said and slightly close the top vent.  Hopefully I won't run out of charcoal before the pizzas are done cooking! 

• Thanks 1

On 20/04/2018 at 1:58 AM, Grif054 said:

Having a little trouble getting up to 500 for a pizza cook.

I had a similar problem with my second pizza cook.  I had got so used to being able to use a basket for more than one cook that I had underestimated the coal needed to get up to temp for a pizza.  Having recognised this part way through the cook, I took out the grates, added more coal and all was well.  I had read some advice from @ckreef before about max three turns to start and then down to two and that works for me.  Using that method I haven't been in danger of running out of coal on an individual cook (just so long as I fill up at the start of the cook!).  

It is the best fun experimenting with pizzas on the KK.  My recent learning is to remember to use my drug dealer scales to measure out the very small amounts of yeast required for some recipes.  I was using old fresh yeast for one cook and overcompensated just a little bit too much with my yeast weight AND didn't use my small scales to measure it out.    The resulting pouffy dough balls soon collapsed in on themselves when I tried to shape them.  Still tasty though.  Cheese, pig products and bread, what's not to like??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1