firemeup

Anyone know?

Hi all,  bought my kamodo of the classifieds,  been wanting one forever and now i have one.  Got a great desk but needs work,  replacing tiles,  greased the skids for the airflow and replaced the felt gasket on the lid.  Can anyone tell me what the type or who the manufacturer is? I'm done carefully removing tiles and sanding it smooth for the new layer but want to know it's lineage. 

Thanks!

20180415_143951.jpg

20180413_142817.jpg

20180415_130836.jpg

You might want to try posting over at Kamado Guru, which is a (sort of) brand agnostic, all things kamado site. As I recall, that site has some folks who do fixer uppers and might be able to help you.

This site is specific to the Komodo Kamado brand. 

Is the top vent free? That’s been a source of issues for past rj cookers I’ve seen. Addertooth, a member on the guru did an in depth restore of an rj some time ago, if you’re interested. 

If the body of your grill is intact, once you get your tiles back on, the rest is pretty easy. I’m not sure about the lid pistons, as far as replacements if necessary. 

As a previous owner of one of these (affectionately called the Piece of Sh!t Kamado (POSK) by most previous owners), I can attest that most repairs are just temporary.

16496279_TheGrill-small.JPG.115f4f37f01e0417fc1471188c0351fc.JPG

When the top hat vent on mine cracked to the point I thought it was going to split in half and there was significant cracking around the bolts in the neck where the spider nut holds the top hat, I knew it was time to upgrade. I bought a "real" kamado from Dennis and gave away my POSK to a buddy for helping me move the KK onto my deck. About 2 months later, the entire top assembly (neck and top hat) fell off when he opened the lid to start a cook. He did some minor repairs on it and kept it on life support for a few more months.

Hopefully you can keep this one going for one BBQ season to learn kamado style cooking (or Kooking, as RJ would put it - LOL!). Learning vent/air control will carry over to any other kamado style grill. 

• Like 1

As a previous owner of one of these (affectionately called the Piece of Sh!t Kamado (POSK) by most previous owners), I can attest that most repairs are just temporary.
16496279_TheGrill-small.JPG.115f4f37f01e0417fc1471188c0351fc.JPG
When the top hat vent on mine cracked to the point I thought it was going to split in half and there was significant cracking around the bolts in the neck where the spider nut holds the top hat, I knew it was time to upgrade. I bought a "real" kamado from Dennis and gave away my POSK to a buddy for helping me move the KK onto my deck. About 2 months later, the entire top assembly (neck and top hat) fell off when he opened the lid to start a cook. He did some minor repairs on it and kept it on life support for a few more months.
Hopefully you can keep this one going for one BBQ season to learn kamado style cooking (or Kooking, as RJ would put it - LOL!). Learning vent/air control will carry over to any other kamado style grill. 
When he opened the lid and burnt down his house lol look posk brand new

Outback kamado Bar and Grill