RobCordeau

Carne Asada and Pollo Asado

Hello kamado gurus!

I am a new owner of a 21" (in metallic bronze - sorry I haven't posted un-crating and setup pics) and I am wanting to cook some pollo asado and carne asada this weekend for a party. I am still getting used to cooking on this kamado (been a grill guy forever). What would be the best way to cook the chicken and the beef? Lower grate? Main grate then move to sear later on? Roast for a while and then sear? Or just sear on the "sear grate" really close to the fire the whole time? 

Thanks!

Rob

1 hour ago, RobCordeau said:

Hello kamado gurus!

I am a new owner of a 21" (in metallic bronze - sorry I haven't posted un-crating and setup pics) and I am wanting to cook some pollo asado and carne asada this weekend for a party. I am still getting used to cooking on this kamado (been a grill guy forever). What would be the best way to cook the chicken and the beef? Lower grate? Main grate then move to sear later on? Roast for a while and then sear? Or just sear on the "sear grate" really close to the fire the whole time? 

Thanks!

Rob

On the Carne Asada, I like to do flank steak indirect until about 115 internal, then sear at the end. If you do skirt steak, then I'd just go with a direct sear next to the coals, taking care not to overcook.

What is the cut of chicken you are using?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, welcome to the Obsession! 

You can still make amends by posting some pics, it's not too late! 

Go with Pequod on the carne.

I normally cook chicken on the upper grate with direct heat. It's far enough away from the fire so it doesn't burn and being up in the dome (if pre-heated/heat soaked) will allow for cooking top and bottom together - minimal turning. 

You'll have to do a BBQ two-step dance with this cook - start with the chicken on the upper grate @ 375F until done, remove main and upper grate, flip upper grate over and put on top of charcoal basket (sear grate) and do the carne - about 3 minutes per side, depending on how done you want it.

• Thanks 1

It's hard to mess things up, I guess it can be done. Most of my cooks are 250-350 so it's a straight road so to say. Your KK is forgiving and it recovers nicely after peeking and multi checking. Even if it didn't go to plan the food is still great.