Pequod

South Side Thin

Took me 40 odd years, but I have found my childhood! Over at pizzamaking.com there is a user named Garvey who posted this recipe for south side Chicago Thin, characterized by a spicy tomato paste based sauce and a particular type of sweet Italian sausage I’ve not been able to replicate...until today. Was hoping to find something close to what I grew up with - Colucci’s in Lansing - delivered in white paper bags and always cut square. Nailed it! Garvey is my new hero.  

That’s two 14” pies on one KK.

09E481F4-21D5-45A1-BDDA-3921049B056D.thumb.jpeg.f6645c14c6e3d28881bab73a76822f33.jpeg

352B8C5E-A1F1-4C50-B97B-7C004E431BF6.thumb.jpeg.fd080401f9d2b39c56e9e8c431ce814b.jpeg

04605F4F-2DCB-4308-AE5A-D9A088152B2F.thumb.jpeg.0522473bbf03a96e25bed9838075e939.jpeg

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Very nice pizza and it's cut to perfection. Ain't thin crust the best. Hey, some say the other way but, you know it's thin. That thick crust just fills u up, done. Glad the 32 is your go to for pizza,  cause your kids are getting bigger and you need room to move.  Perfect crust on the bottom, gooood so good.

• Like 2

Chicago Thin is itself a unique sort of pizza, and the version on the south side where I grew up is even more unique. Never realized how much I missed it until years later when we’d visit my wife’s family on the north side and just couldn’t find anything like that  flavor (that’s “flavour” for our friends farther north). We always make a point now to stop at Aurelio’s in Homewood whenever we’re in the region, although Aurelio’s is known for a sweeter sauce, not spicy as was the norm in the mom and pop shops I knew. I digress, but South Side Thin is a pizza style y’all should get to know. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Definitely going to give this a try.  I too am doing a (relatively) low carb diet but, happily, have allowed myself one pizza night a week.  Great fun for trying different doughs although The Husband is getting a bit frustrated with the less successful ones and just wants an improvement on the first one that he thinks was the best so far.  Hoping the Chicago Thin will give him something to smile about next week.  

• Like 2

Chicago Thin is definitely low carb. You can take my word for it. <_<

If you do try it, I highly recommend trying the authentic approach before getting creative. Reason is that this pizza is characterized by a particular flavour (that’s “flavor” for gringos) profile that is unique and works extremely well. Make the sauce as prescribed and use a lot of it. Definitely make Garvey’s sausage recipe too - a sweet fennel sausage with a white wine twist. There is no substitute in stores. All together it just works and - I might be biased by my regional roots (but highly unlikely) - it kicks the pants off NY style any day (there...I said it!).

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

That pizza looks pretty darn tasty! I like the square cut. Nice cook

Thanks Bruce! Being in California, feel free to add an avocado, but I advise avoiding the temptation to add kale! ;)

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Shuley said:

Now there are so many types to try! 

Now I've got a local spot that specializes in New Haven style - here in Iowa! And what a great name - NEED Pizza! 

http://www.needcr.com/

But, if you want truly funky pizza, this place is set to open here tomorrow - Fong's Pizza, making Chinese style pizzas! Their specialty is Crab Rangoon pizza. 

https://fongspizza.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Fongs_11x14_menu_CR_2018-BD.pdf

Edited by tony b