Pequod

South Side Thin

On 5/10/2018 at 3:40 PM, jonj said:

Surely you jest! Taco?! Hawaiian?!

Oh no, Pequod, no!  

Ha ha.  Just back from London.  The Husband's pizza balls are looking good and the 21" is warming up.  Hoping mushrooms are in one of the approved columns because we've got a whole load: 

355052545_oEn2oeAQ8iESO46uq3mnw.thumb.jpg.0beb07a19c1a26adba3c69d87a0778a2.jpg

Ooh, they look a bit fuzzy in the picture but I think that is because of the cling film over the top.   Will report back much later...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Dodgy scales are the worst .

Naaa, dodgy operators are the worst.  Particularly an arrogant one like me who hates measures in teaspoons and cups.  At least if I had been measuring in teaspoons I would have realised I wasn't using nearly enough yeast.  Instead, I relied on a scale and didn't check it was measuring in the right units. Boo.  

8 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Ha ha.  Just back from London.  The Husband's pizza balls are looking good and the 21" is warming up.  Hoping mushrooms are in one of the approved columns because we've got a whole load: 

Ooh, they look a bit fuzzy in the picture but I think that is because of the cling film over the top.   Will report back much later...

Mushrooms are definitely approved!

I'm making 4 of these tonight myself. I'll show you mine if you show me yours. :shock:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pequod said:

...and welcome to the South Side! Roll up the windows and lock the doors, as my dad would say!

Yes, your dad was right!  Mother-in-law wasn't feeling well so the three of us worked our way through a sausage pizza and then a pepperoni, mushroom and chilli pizza (notice I cannot quite bring myself to call them pies).  I thought the first pizza might have needed a bit more cooking on the crust so I left the second one in for the same time at a slightly higher temp.  

The verdict?

Father-in-law: Liked both equally and was particularly complimentary about the crust.  

Me: Liked the sausage pizza for flavour but the crust on the pepperoni pizza better

The Husband:  Liked the pepperoni, mushroom and chilli pizza best and wanted more but settled for some extra wine instead.

That leaves us with two balls and more sausage for lunch tomorrow.  Hurrah!

Thank you very much @Pequod.  Best pizza night yet.  

• Like 3

Of course!  The pizzas were a bit square anyway because The Husband had put the dough balls into square containers to prove.  He was pleased that that tied in with the square cutting directive. Engineers, eh?  We are easily pleased.  

• Like 2

Alright, here are mine from tonight. We added a bit of cheddar because my wife decided the cheese (straight mozzarella) on the last go wasn’t quite to the Chicago standard. The cheddar was a nice touch. We did 3:1 mozzarella:cheddar.

9AAA2289-9210-447E-8741-DC039ED0A245.thumb.jpeg.5245fbeb2fc3ac118a35c147e014c0f9.jpeg

F42E5594-B7D2-4FFB-9974-953266B4AEB4.thumb.jpeg.755e48862d00786f961ba5cce5a910fe.jpeg

No other pictures because my daughter and her fiancé were over and he’s an Army guy...always hungry...and I wanted my share!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Pequod said:

No other pictures because my daughter and her fiancé were over and he’s an Army guy...always hungry...and I wanted my share!

Tee hee.  That guy has got it made!  Great pizzas.  Thank you for starting this post, it's been fun.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2018 at 9:30 PM, Pequod said:

Now for the truth. Did you cut it square? <_<

We had follow on pizza for lunch the next day.  The Husband felt we had to defend our square cutting credentials. Here is the evidence for the defence.

IMG_4036.thumb.JPG.43bf4c9140c8ced50d2f0f3ebe8e0513.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/5/2018 at 5:45 PM, Pequod said:

Took me 40 odd years, but I have found my childhood! Over at pizzamaking.com there is a user named Garvey who posted this recipe for south side Chicago Thin, characterized by a spicy tomato paste based sauce and a particular type of sweet Italian sausage I’ve not been able to replicate...until today. Was hoping to find something close to what I grew up with - Colucci’s in Lansing - delivered in white paper bags and always cut square. Nailed it! Garvey is my new hero.  

That’s two 14” pies on one KK.

09E481F4-21D5-45A1-BDDA-3921049B056D.thumb.jpeg.f6645c14c6e3d28881bab73a76822f33.jpeg

352B8C5E-A1F1-4C50-B97B-7C004E431BF6.thumb.jpeg.fd080401f9d2b39c56e9e8c431ce814b.jpeg

04605F4F-2DCB-4308-AE5A-D9A088152B2F.thumb.jpeg.0522473bbf03a96e25bed9838075e939.jpeg

Did you follow the temperatures recommended in the recipe or did you adapt them for use on the KK? How long was the cooking time?