Tyrus

Covering my bases

I recently made a new purchase of an offset smoker, one that allows me to take it with me if I choose to do so because it's attached to a trailer. It's a smaller cooker that gives me the opportunity to enter a competition down the road without having to drag around one so large as some of the monsters I've seen. The inside capacity for meat is approx.. 70 lbs, that will feed a crowd of 40-50 people. I can also smoke a pig up to 50 lbs.  It also allows me to put on heavier smoke profile and a thicker bark and fuel is free. Unfortunately, it does require a lot of attention with fuel having to add a stick or two every 45 mins or so unlike our KK's that are almost virtually carefree.  I'm certainly not trying to replace my KK,...I'm simply covering my bases.  These smokers are made of 1/4 inch rolled steel and are harder to maintain temp due to the elements that could affect there performance. So I have to build a cover/shelter to keep the rain off when in use. Nothing extravagant, maybe something similar to one of Aussie's pics when he was at an outdoor BBQ in the backcountry. Something practical.  This is a reverse flow smoker..meaning that the smoker travel under the plate pictured and surfaces on the last 4 inches and travels across to the opposite side to exit the stack. This allows for a more even temp across the cooking area.  After your cook you simply hose the area down and wire brush your grates, the water flows to the middle into the trough and exits a drain. Nice and clean, and fast. The chimney stack picture depicts the clean smoke exiting at a cooking temp of 275 degrees.  Beef clod heart on smoker, 9lbs and 9 hrs later, midnite, oh boy, have to plan that better.  Industrial refractory on brick pile, touque and groove and 5 inch base brick used to make fire pit and cooker, just have make a grate. 30x30 inside  Any ideas for cover                      

DSCF2139.JPG

DSCF2140.JPG

DSCF2128 (1).JPG

DSCF2129 (1).JPG

DSCF2133 (1).JPG

DSCF2146.JPG

DSCF2130 (2).JPG

DSCF2149.JPG

DSCF2134 (2).JPG

DSCF2137.JPG

• Like 5

Nice! I was going to say it looks like a Lang, and then I saw that it was in one of the pics. I’ve always wanted a reverse flow offset - Lang or Meadow Creek - but never pulled the trigger because of that continuous feeding thing. Maybe a smaller 36 in retirement would be fun. Enjoy! Hard to beat brisket from a stick burner. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tony b said:

I'm expecting "call ups" down the road!

The road is long with many a winding turns.  For the moment we'll stick to the backyard and occasional favor for a friend at there place. Thanks though, for the vote of confidence

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

Looks fun. I've never tried using an offset. 

You got your hands full! That fire you had in the oven was no different, maintain, keep temp...keeps you busy and it's a challenge thats different. Our KK's do it all for us, maybe Dennis will make one trailer ready. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Nice set up Wayne! I really like your wagon. That cook looks tasty.

The wagon is a 1930's industrial piece I reclaimed from a factory long since gone. The wood on the top is 2 inch oak and was treated with tung oil to stay out in the weather. The wheels are steel, patented and manufactured at this old plant and it weighs in at around 400 lbs. It can hold up to 2000lbs. A nice cart for serving tea...lol.

• Haha 1

I'm surprised you haven't tried it, heard some good things about those cookers. It has it's pros and cons but on the up side it maintains an even consistent  heat for a long duration so if you were to do an overnite at a set temp it would serve you well. Refresh your memory, Trager has things on line to get you started. Hate to see that in a yard sale without seeing it's maiden voyage.  Our KK's do a lot of things well but there are things out there specific to a certain style...you saw Ckreef with those two new cookers toys. Pizza and skewers. It's not how many tools you have in your arsenal, it's how many you know how to use well. It's as simple as 1,2,3,..A,B,C that's how easy Trager can be. Catchy tune huh

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Our KK's do a lot of things well but there are things out there specific to a certain style...you saw Ckreef with those two new cookers toys. Pizza and skewers. It's not how many tools you have in your arsenal, it's how many you know how to use well. 

If all you can have is one tool than a KK is the tool to have. It does a reasonably decent job at everything and excels in certain areas. If you have the space and money there are other tools that do a better job for their specific task. 

Some of the appeal for my other tools is the learning curve to master temperature control and cooking technique. Every time I walk past the BBQ section in any store I turn to Mrs skreef, "oooh grillllsssss". She gives me that cockeyed look. I think she would kill me if I brought home another grill right now. Of course a true and proper outdoor kitchen now that's another story. I think she's sold on that idea. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, tony b said:

I'm shocked that you haven't done it by now, Charles! 

We've already picked out the building and accessories. Basically $10k. Maybe next year unless the money fairy (a.k.a. Lottery) visits the Bistro - LOL 

• Like 3