tekobo

Money, money, money, must be funny, in a rich man's world

Just in time for the Abba reunion I have discovered something really cool about my money.  

I have been saving £2 coins for years.  The pace has slowed recently because we use real money so rarely these days.  A week or so ago I thought I really ought to count up the coins to see how many I have.

I counted and weighed the first ten coins and then twenty to callibrate and then weighed the lot to see how much I had.  £562.  Hmmm.  What to do with it?  I can spend that easily with a few clicks online but spending real cash feels like a greater responsibility.  First candidate was a medium Korin and some Binchotan but I am not sure if that is quite symbolic enough.  No decision made yet.

In meantime, I happened to mention my piggy bank to my greengrocer.  His shop is one of the few places where I still spend and receive coins.  He told me that some £2 coins are worth more than others.  My curiousity was piqued and I found an article online this morning: https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/3524236/rarest-most-valuable-2-pound-coins-designs/

What fun, searching through my pile of coins.  I wasn't aware of the different designs and the stories that each represent.

The majority of my coins are the least valuable.

1995614977_VcQf5rBeTsSZPfFgVPLbg.thumb.jpg.babfaa06c6e30d84c58814ffe5774d68.jpg

But I have a number of different designs across the spectrum.

fullsizeoutput_914.thumb.jpeg.6d0d4b1b1832adf8f6d0df263e0911b5.jpeg

And one of the most valuable on the list.  This £2 is worth £40. 

2121955171_c6ytqSxYRUqLhirJWYffQ.thumb.jpg.d7d86dd1561c3a8c2a1d1084e91e203f.jpg

I know this has nothing to do with KKs but I was so excited that I had to share this with someone and you were here.  I like playing with money.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Just in time for the Abba reunion I have discovered something really cool about my money.  

I have been saving £2 coins for years.  The pace has slowed recently because we use real money so rarely these days.  A week or so ago I thought I really ought to count up the coins to see how many I have.

I counted and weighed the first ten coins and then twenty to callibrate and then weighed the lot to see how much I had.  £562.  Hmmm.  What to do with it?  I can spend that easily with a few clicks online but spending real cash feels like a greater responsibility.  First candidate was a medium Korin and some Binchotan but I am not sure if that is quite symbolic enough.  No decision made yet.

In meantime, I happened to mention my piggy bank to my greengrocer.  His shop is one of the few places where I still spend and receive coins.  He told me that some £2 coins are worth more than others.  My curiousity was piqued and I found an article online this morning: https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/3524236/rarest-most-valuable-2-pound-coins-designs/

What fun, searching through my pile of coins.  I wasn't aware of the different designs and the stories that each represent.

The majority of my coins are the least valuable.

1995614977_VcQf5rBeTsSZPfFgVPLbg.thumb.jpg.babfaa06c6e30d84c58814ffe5774d68.jpg

But I have a number of different designs across the spectrum.

fullsizeoutput_914.thumb.jpeg.6d0d4b1b1832adf8f6d0df263e0911b5.jpeg

And one of the most valuable on the list.  This £2 is worth £40. 

2121955171_c6ytqSxYRUqLhirJWYffQ.thumb.jpg.d7d86dd1561c3a8c2a1d1084e91e203f.jpg

I know this has nothing to do with KKs but I was so excited that I had to share this with someone and you were here.  I like playing with money.  

I have an old jack Daniels tin I throw my loose change in when it's full I just go to the bank usually get a couple of hundred  .I have a separate jar of money I find on the street yes I will pick up that 5 cent coin last year that jar cashed in at nearly 50 dollars lol .its 

• Haha 2

Your sooo rich, order up pizza! I place my loose change in a draw and sometime in an old cigar box, it grows for about a year. I don't think I've ever seen the money because the recipient of these small fortunes has always been my daughters. I ask sometime what the take was and it's always just under 100$, that's I know because the draw becomes a chore to open. Good Luck Tekobo.........don't spend it all in one place. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went on to eBay straight after I posted my photos here and found that the sought after coins were not quite as valuable as I had been led to believe by the internet hype.  That said, most are worth at least £7.50 each.  I never realised that £2 coins from as recently 2002 could be worth more than their face value.  

Plan of action:

1.  Smile and thank greengrocer for alerting me to this interesting and potentially lucrative wheeze.

2.  Take all the standard £2 coins to the bank.  Invest the total in premium bonds.

3.  Hang on to the non-standard £2 coins and look out for more.  Maybe one day in the future they will make me rich.

All good.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tony b said:

It will be interesting to see how the value changes when you leave the EU? 

I am more worried about death and taxes.  Once the old people who collect coins die off there will be no one to sell them to.  I will ride out Brexit, move to a tax free haven and then sell, sell, sell before the Millennials take over the world.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, tekobo said:

I am more worried about death and taxes.  Once the old people who collect coins die off there will be no one to sell them to.  I will ride out Brexit, move to a tax free haven and then sell, sell, sell before the Millennials take over the world.    

Wait a minute. You’re looking for a tax free safe space in a world run by those who need safe spaces? Seems...oddly symmetric. 

6 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Wait a minute. You’re looking for a tax free safe space in a world run by those who need safe spaces? Seems...oddly symmetric.

Touché and too true! I'll re-train as a life coach and make money, helping them adjust to the real world when the realisation finally dawns that life just isn't fair, or safe.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A box of change indeed.  I walked up to the bank yesterday carrying my piggy bank.  I was very proud.  They took me down a peg or two.  Apparently they don't just get out a scale and weigh it all.  No.  You have to pack it into bags of £20 and then they will weigh them.  So I had to go and stand at a counter to sort myself, and my money, out. 

fullsizeoutput_915.thumb.jpeg.00b980f2e7047b6449f7d35570cf8752.jpeg

I am still excited.  This lot came to £464 and, thanks to the power of modern technology, a couple of online clicks mean that I am now the proud owner of 464 more premium bonds.  I won't earn any interest but each month I will have the chance of a small win or maybe even the £1m jackpot.  Much better than storing them in a cupboard and I still have the rarer coins sitting in the cupboard appreciating in value.  Cash is cool.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1