Stevesoncoals

Brisket and Short Ribs - Help !

G’day all,

although im a new owner of a KK, I’ve decided to attempt a brisket and 4 sets of short ribs this Sunday for mother’s day. I hope I’m not biting off more than I can chew ...

Is there anything I should know about cooking on 2 levels. Brisket and short ribs appear to cook for about the same time and temps similar - ribs a little higher, so I thought that should be ideal on 2 levels (it sure won’t all fit on one - I have the 23” not one of the small house KKs !!) 

Thermometers at the ready of course !

Thanks

Depending on the size of the brisket, it could likely take much longer than the ribs, but the cook temps are the same, and cook both to probe tender, temperature roughly 200° internal. I suggest putting the ribs above the brisket, possibly use the reversible grate. This would allow easy access to both for checking for tenderness. 

Good luck!

• Like 3

Short ribs and 13lb brisket from The Secret Butcher slathered and rubbed with Ruckus Rub sitting in the fridge waiting for me to get up at 5am to start the cook. Full basket of Mallee charcoal and some soaked Pecan wood ready to roll. Looking forward to my maiden brisket ! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Stevesoncoals said:

some soaked Pecan wood ready to roll

Soaking wood chips/chunks in water is a total waste of time. Doesn't prolong the smoking process, just a bit of delay until the water steams out. If you want to prolong the smoke production, build a cast iron Dutch oven smoker pot (or at least wrap the wood in aluminum foil with a couple of tiny holes punched in.) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Delicious !

Cook was great fun. Brisket ran textbook timing wise, 3 1/2 h at 275F, stalled for 2 1/2 hours, wrapped in brown paper and finish about 2 hours later at 200F internal. Wrapped in an old electric blanket (no longer working) and esky for 3h. Was fabulous. Flat was a tad drier than I would like, but overall hard to fault. 

Ribs took way less time. About 5h I think. Was surprised, Mr Franklin BBQ implies they are similar durations. Anyway, didn’t matter, they were very fine !

i found controlling temp at about 5-8 hours quite difficult. It was like it hit a point and then suddenly with nothing adjusted the temperature at the plate started increasing and I really had to dial back the lower vent. I get this usually, but odd to be happening after 5h. Quite a bit of damping to bring the temp back where I wanted it. 

Certainly made me think a stoker or similar might be a useful addition in the future. Especially if I’m out doing jobs, like shopping for beer and other critical endeavours. If there’s already a good summary of alternate options for Stoker-like devices I’d love to be pointed in the right direction. 

9743D9DD-7463-4750-8417-65F345F2F685.jpeg

948E746F-4580-4BAA-BD21-64552AE1A569.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks great - what a great first cook. 

I have just ordered a Fireboard for a thermometer. I was temped to get the fan with but didn't... I have found the temps to be stable on mine. I have done several boston butts over night. Not long ago, I did 4 on my 23" Admitted, I was nervous as my Maverick thermometer kept losing it's connection so I didn't have an alarm if the temp went askew. It didn't matter, the temps stay consistent even when I woke up the next morning. I have slept through several overnight cooks without a worry.

I bought the Fireboard as it has bluetooth and wifi. Will see how that goes. 

I was talked out of buying a stoker or similar by others on the forum. So far, it's been fine for me for all my low and slows. 

I wonder if was the Perth afternoon seabreeze that got you at the 5 hour mark... though, I don't remember much wind on Sunday.

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2018 at 11:57 AM, DennisLinkletter said:

I almost disregard the lower dials for temp control these days.. A lot of air can be sucked thru a small hole with vacuum but if you restrict the air leaving chimney.. that's more precise.  Best bet is to make friends with those ears on the damper top.  Take some notes on their position too..

How do you find you usually open the lower dials for the cooking range from 265-300? (I have the 21"), and the top?