Chanly1983

Please help the newbie.

29 minutes ago, Chanly1983 said:

Pequod,

i was going thru the cooking photos and if my wife wasn’t behind such an extravagant purpose before seeing your bread cooks she is 110% behind this purchase now. We need to talk recipes, techniques and the chain in your KK.

Thanks! Can't claim credit for the steam oven technique. @Syzygies is the KK renaissance man who gave us the Smoke Pot, Steam Oven technique and other cool ideas. Wish I could find his original thread, but here's mine from when I first implemented his idea:

Thank you very very much MacKenzie! I am truly happy with both, my eye is drawn more towards the darker, my wife’s eye is going towards the lighter... I am hoping when I order it on Monday or Tuesday someone has made my decision easier and bought one of them.  Dennis is also making me a teak end grain cutting board as well.  I was leaning towards the entire table top being teak butchers block but after discussing clean up and such I went with stainless and a board instead.

• Like 1

As already said, get a cover. I believe it’s required to keep the warranty in full force I believe. 

I use a mapp torch, along with Rutland starter cubes, it works beautifully. 

Eventually, you’ll want some Zep 505 cleaner, it’s the best for exterior grill cleaning. For interior, I recommend a shop vac with a drywall filter.  

Get plenty of teak conditioner, the northern weather wreaks havoc on teak. 

You’re gonna love your grill, many pics are required 

• Like 1

I'd second the reconsideration of the double-walled drip pan. I got one of the very first ones (and helped steer Dennis into making it), but have to admit that I rarely use it. YMMV

My vote is for the lighter color. It seems to match the pebbles in your landscaping better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like you are going to be in great shape. You might talk to some of the other cold weather members, but if all you are getting the gas attachment for is lighting in cold weather, I doubt you will need it. The circulation of air through the charcoal is so good, it takes very little to light it. A Guru would be nice, but I don't have one, and so far I have been able to sleep during overnight cooks as long as I light the cooker early enough to stabilize, which for me takes 3-5 hours.

Well I am getting a guru but the more I am reading into this forum the gas attachment is not a necessary item. The double drip pan I will be using during holidays or not but I am already paying for the shipping and I would rather have it not use it a lot then need it and kick myself.

I had a thought while day dreaming at work today... I know bread with steam can be done on the KK, how about a New England style steam/ bake? Maybe load the double drip pan up with moist seaweed and layer shellfish, corn and potatoes and the varying grills?

thanks again for all the help and ideas. I have settled on the lighter color with charcoal tweed colors. I want the color scheme to marinate for another day or so then I will be ordering tomorrow or Wednesday!:smt038

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chanly1983 said:

Well I am getting a guru but the more I am reading into this forum the gas attachment is not a necessary item. The double drip pan I will be using during holidays or not but I am already paying for the shipping and I would rather have it not use it a lot then need it and kick myself.

I had a thought while day dreaming at work today... I know bread with steam can be done on the KK, how about a New England style steam/ bake? Maybe load the double drip pan up with moist seaweed and layer shellfish, corn and potatoes and the varying grills?

thanks again for all the help and ideas. I have settled on the lighter color with charcoal tweed colors. I want the color scheme to marinate for another day or so then I will be ordering tomorrow or Wednesday!:smt038

Great choice. I liked the lighter colour with your background too. That said either would would great. Could get both I guess ;-)

Good luck - you will love it when it arrives. 

I live in a fairly cold climate and don't have any problems heating up the KK during winter. I'd pass on the gas option, personally. Most of us have sealed up the gas doors on ours to prevent air leaks. In fact, I don't think Dennis makes grills with them as a default anymore - you have to ask for one to be built in, as almost no one uses it. 

I live in a fairly cold climate and don't have any problems heating up the KK during winter. I'd pass on the gas option, personally. Most of us have sealed up the gas doors on ours to prevent air leaks. In fact, I don't think Dennis makes grills with them as a default anymore - you have to ask for one to be built in, as almost no one uses it. 

Just wondering how you seal up the gas door

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, Tangles said:

Just wondering how you seal up the gas door

Newer grills came with bolts and wingnuts that keep it locked like this:

If your grill doesn't have this, contact Dennis. You can retrofit to a locking door. I did this with my 23". The 32" (as in that post) already had this feature.

• Like 1

Newer grills came with bolts and wingnuts that keep it locked like this:

If your grill doesn't have this, contact Dennis. You can retrofit to a locking door. I did this with my 23". The 32" (as in that post) already had this feature.

Ahh I see. Yep mine is sealed with the wing nuts. I thought folk were sealing it with silicone or something similar.

Hi there @Chanly1983.  Guessing you will have/will soon be placing your order.  Exciting eh?  

I had a long, drawn out process of choosing my accessories when I was getting my KKs.  Your idea of getting everything now so you don't regret it later is a good one.  However, you may find that you never use some of the things you buy.  I use about half of what I bought.  One of my current constraints is that I don't yet have power to my ODK.  That means I have never used my CyberQ cloud kit and fan, nor my rotisserie or the Octoforks on my KK.  I am not sure I will ever need or want to use the Cyber Q but I will definitely be trying the rotisserie when I finally get power.

If I was only allowed three Dennis accessories they would be: pizza stone, rotisserie and sunbrella cover.  Three non-Dennis accessories would be my MAPP torch, MEATER thermometer and cast iron plancha.  A close fourth would be my La Chamba cookware - having stuff you can transport straight from the KK to table is great. Oh yes, and I do use the smoke pot a lot.  And my cheap spiral cold smoker...  You can see why we should rename this forum "the KK shopping channel!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1