Chanly1983

Please help the newbie.

Sooo... more boxes of goodies came today!

It included 6ozs. Of crack berries.  I have been in 4 and 5 diamonds from 14 till my mid 20’s, spent some time at SBCC for culinary and hotel managment and done some traveling to some nice resorts around the Caribbean and never once heard about these little gems. So Let’s have some ideas on what to do with them.

B8D93293-BF1C-4420-953E-E553680177F2.jpeg

208AE7D3-5541-400E-BDB5-E47BBC6CA26D.jpeg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cschaaf said:

@Chanly1983just type the @ symbol then start typing a username. You'll get a popup list with matches. Click the one you want and they will get notified of your reply.

Apparently the kinder, gentler, more helpful, less snarky @cschaaf lives here.... good to know... :)

@Chanly1983... I am new to the Tasmanian pepper berry game, but have found it to be good on just about everything. Have a nice dedicated mill and it bounces back and forth from the stovetop to the tabletop. Had to throttle my husband back and put him on a ration, he was getting a bit out of control... lol. :)

I’m with you on the Staub.  I have both as well and the finishing on the Staub is always top notch whereas the Le Creuset is nice, but often (at least in my experience) has minor imperfections.  That dark interior can be a bit iffy to keep clean looking though.  A quick wipe of oil will do the trick, or a nice acidic tomato based cook....

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Had to throttle my husband back and put him on a ration, he was getting a bit out of control... lol.

Why do you think that I named it "purple crack?"

I use it in just about everything anymore. Great on fried eggs, mashed potatoes, salad dressings, mixed in with dry rubs for grilling. I even used it making beers (Purple Crack Wheat - a blueberry wheat beer with pepper berries and a Purple Crack mead) and brining pork belly for bacon. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, tony b said:

I use it in just about everything anymore. Great on fried eggs, mashed potatoes, salad dressings, mixed in with dry rubs for grilling

Purple crack-kabobs, purple crack creole, purple crack gumbo, purple crack etouffee. Pan fried purple crack, deep fried purple crack, stir-fried purple crack.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Chanly1983 said:

Life’s like a box of purple crack 

I know it is heresy to say this but I still haven't got into Purple Crack. That is my cowardly way of saying I don't like it.  Don't drum me out of the club and don't think me weird for promoting marmite butter.  Am even thinking that marmite just might bring some umami flavour to a meat rub.  Here's your challenge @Chanly1983, if you wish to accept it: make up something that makes us all love Purple Crack AND marmite.

• Like 1

@MacKenzie Yeah he is my little show pony! I have no room for all my new toys so I am loading up my oven until my cabinet gets here in June or July. I hope I remember that next time I need to bake something....

As for “the arrival” I am so happy and nervous thinking about first cook, burn in, moving it, etc.  But talking to everyone here and Dennis has made this whole experience easier.  Thanks again everyone :)

• Like 1

Yes I got it and I love it. I started a new thread called 32” terra blue. With arring, unpacking and setup photos. Did I say I love it? This was worth every penny! As for things I should of gotten when I ordered it. Maybe just another charcoal basket and the double drip pan. But I’ll order at least the double drip pan this winter. These things are a absolutely amazing. I cooked huli huli chicken when it arrived and even going to 175 on accident it was still extremely moist. If you want to stop over and see one let me know. You will not be disappointed. Guys are giving me crap at work and saying you can get a green egg for a lot cheaper. But there is plenty of stories of those having shorter life spans. I am a firm believer of paying once, crying over it once and enjoying for the rest of my life. Also @DennisLinkletter is an amazing guy to work with!

• Like 2

My thoughts exactly @5698k, I am 35 so I could by and egg for same $3000 with table and accessories.  Let’s just say I can 10 years out of it.  If I plan to say live to 100 I have 65 years to go. We’ll divide that by, 6.5 years now times by $3000... $19500 about double what I payed for my 32”, table and accessories.  

2 hours ago, Chanly1983 said:

Guys are giving me crap at work and saying you can get a green egg for a lot cheaper. 

lol...get the same song at where i work, i just tell em i should have two. I gave up the smokes 4 yrs ago saving me 8K a year :banghead: (yes, the durries are not cheap here)

My money my spend....should of done it years ago

• Like 4

lol...get the same song at where i work, i just tell em i should have two. I gave up the smokes 4 yrs ago saving me 8K a year :banghead: (yes, the durries are not cheap here)
My money my spend....should of done it years ago
Effort mate good on you for ditching the durries. Most of us get a opportunity in life to waste money on things which we think we love .it's only when you meet your first KK

Outback kamado Bar and Grill