Chanly1983

Please help the newbie.

@tekobo, I recently bought a Cyber Q also, that I haven't used yet because I've been too lazy to set it up on our network. I plan on using it for temp monitoring, not control with the fan, except maybe on an overnight brisket cook. I just got sick of the flimsy jacks on the Smoke thermometer, and knew Guru had better quality cables and jacks in the unit itself. I had a DigiQ from years ago, so all I had to buy was the Cyber Q unit itself as I already had the cables, fan etc. I really would like a Meater, but I've been hesitant because of some of the terrible reviews, but there are obviously some happy users here...

Edited by amusedtodeath
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, amusedtodeath said:

@tekobo, I recently bought a Cyber Q also, that I haven't used yet because I've been too lazy to set it up on our network. I plan on using it for temp monitoring, not control with the fan, except maybe on an overnight brisket cook. I just got sick of the flimsy jacks on the Smoke thermometer, and knew Guru had better quality cables and jacks in the unit itself. I had a DigiQ from years ago, so all I had to buy was the Cyber Q unit itself as I already had the cables, fan etc. I really would like a Meater, but I've been hesitant because of some of the terrible reviews, but there are obviously some happy users here...

I'm a bit ambivalent about the MEATER. Mine works well enough. I like it a lot, and find myself using it more than any other Digital Thermometer other than my Thermapen. That said, the company has created such incredibly bad blood with their backers and the BBQ community in general that I wonder whether they'll ever recover. I also worry about the durability of the device from an unknown company with a bad reputation out of the gate.

Over in "The Pit" at Amazing Ribs I recently spied some MEATER bashing and stepped in to provide a dose of reality -- it's real and, if not spectacular, it works. But the bottom line is that Apption Labs and MEATER are widely regarded as a fraud.

I love the wireless probe concept, but waiting for Thermoworks or another reputable company to release their version before I go all in with a full wireless solution. 

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats and welcome to the KK family you are going to love cooking on it 

As far as baking steel is converned i went to my local welding shop and had them cut me up one it was far cheaper and bigger then What baking steel web site wanted plus it is custom

• Like 1

Decisions decisions decisions! Between accessories and color choices this has been almost as time consuming as buying my house! But I LOVE to cook and after drooling over these cookers for years I am going to make a decision tonight or tomorrow!  The worst part is if I order today or tomorrow I probably won’t get it until late next week then I leave right after work on Friday for 3 days :smt022Then I have to wait for table to get built and shipped. I guess this guy gets 3 x-masses this year!

thanks again everyone for chiming in on this and that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pequod said:

Over in "The Pit" at Amazing Ribs I recently spied some MEATER bashing and stepped in to provide a dose of reality -- it's real and, if not spectacular, it works. But the bottom line is that Apption Labs and MEATER are widely regarded as a fraud.

I was one of their Kickstarter backers. Folks got real upset with them for the lack of explanations as to why all the delays in getting to production - it took over 2 years. All they'd post month after month were pictures of them cooking stuff on the grill with a prototype. People lost patience and started tossing around the "fraud" label. (Kickstarter isn't immune to having folks fleeced before, including me!) But, they eventually came around and started telling it like it is, especially with the Block option, which is over 3 years behind schedule.

We'll just have to see about reliability after lots of cooks. I use mine on almost every rotisserie cook and even on some non-spun cooks (one of my Mavericks kicked the bucket on me unexpectedly during a cook). 

I’m a cyberq guy. I know in my heart they’re not necessary, but I like gadgets, plus the security of being able to wake up, see that my whatever is taking longer than I thought, and up the temp to a specific point without getting out of bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The color choice is simple...get the one your wife likes better. Happy wife equals happy life.

I was going to order the meater and lots of unhappy owners on Amazing Rib site warned me not to. I ended up getting the FireBoard, which has wires, but can take six separate temps at once and is cloud based. I’m extremely happy with the performance so far.

The color choice is simple...get the one your wife likes better. Happy wife equals happy life.

I was going to order the meater and lots of unhappy owners on Amazing Rib site warned me not to. I ended up getting the FireBoard, which has wires, but can take six separate temps at once and is cloud based. I’m extremely happy with the performance so far.

Hi sfdrew did you get the fan with the fireboard? Wondering how it performs. Still waiting for mine...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sfdrew28 I am also a gadget guy and I curious if you bought the fan as well and how would you attach it?

as for the color choice I tried getting the wife involved, “whatever color floats your boat, but the food but be pretty damn tasty!” I am a lucky man:x

• Haha 1

How does all this shipping stuff work? What has been everyone’s experiences?

Do I receive an email when it ships or phone call or do I pay then a driver calls me in a week or 2 and say “i am here.”

If anyone from southern Wisconsin or northern Illinois can give me estimate on how long it took for them.