Jon B.

Freezer Diving Failure

We buy a lot of bulk meat at Sam's/CostCo/BJ's and portion them out into vacuum bags and freeze them for use later.  Never had enough room in the refrigerator freezer, so we purchased a 7 cubic foot chest freezer.  Every time there was a sale, I would buy more meat and stick it in the freezer.  After a while, that freezer was stuffed full of every kind of meat available and we had no idea what was in there and where it was.

So Mr. Bright Idea bought a white board and mounted it above the freezer and started writing down everything that went into the freezer and erasing what came out. That worked for about a month until I found out that not everyone in the household was following the rules :smt021  (the names will not be revealed to protect me).

Not to be swayed from my mission to know exactly what and where everything was in the freezer..........I divided the freezer into sections, got a clipboard & wrote everything down....................then LOCKED the freezer and hid the key. :grin:   I'll fix those derelict freezer raiders!!!!!!!  :mad:

1521491719_FreezerList.thumb.jpeg.3781877515747ddf2af12aecf2001603.jpeg

My locked freezer and hand written lists worked great all winter..................until this spring when I couldn't find something I was specifically looking for a recipe. WTH??????  :shock:

So I did what any self respecting communist freezer dictator would do, took a total inventory of the freezer.  Much to my dismay.........there were many discrepancies.  WTH x 2??  :smt017

I marched upstairs and confronted the other members of the household.  When they stopped laughing & giggling....I was informed that they found the extra key to the freezer and were messing with me most of the winter.  :headbang:   They couldn't believe it took me so long to figure it out.  

I threw away the lists yesterday!!!!!!         Back to freezer diving!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Pretty funny Tony:-P

HUH?? Not me!

@Jon B. - sounded just like me up to the white board part. I'm not that organized, but should be. About every couple of months, I go freezer diving myself and take stock of what's there, trying to move the newer stuff lower and older stuff higher. Occasionally find a "hidden gem" but more often something very old that needs to be tossed! Even FoodSaver packed stuff will eventually freezer burn - like the 3 yr old shrimp!!! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jon B. said:

So Mr. Bright Idea bought a white board and mounted it above the freezer and started writing down everything that went into the freezer and erasing what came out. That worked for about a month until I found out that not everyone in the household was following the rules :smt021  (the names will not be revealed to protect me).

This made me laugh A LOT.  The key thing a totalitarian regime needs is threat of violence in the event of non-compliance.  As a programme director I am skilled at this and do not have to issue any actual threats.  This is my white board.  It gets refreshed once a month and stuff stays where it should. 

XFLvDLccTASzUc0djpLfNg.thumb.jpg.d794aa517ac13b060fb06013c2b3b638.jpg

• Like 3

A friend came round a couple of days ago.  He is a tidy freak and took his mother down to our freezer room to show her my inventory system.  He pointed out that the label that says "CAT CHICKEN & PHEASANT" might lead one to think that I eat my cats.  

For the record: we feed our cats (at least the two that are interested) a raw meat diet.  This is where we store their packs of chicken and pheasant.  Cat may well be tasty but my Bengals are not for the pot.  Gratuitous cute kitty picture follows.

2090564432_2bGNsieRwuaaflLy0otg.thumb.jpg.f4b8a4b07eaa60f0ed3991527ba2f4d5.jpg

Here is Sinbad.  He is not from California. And he does not like kale. 

ZKqvMkVBTJSXNvqQLhk3nA.thumb.jpg.c9318cd8bb1a2554b6c7de72ade19ffd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, tony b said:

Hurray for Sinbad!!! :smt041

Small admission here.  I did spend a bit of my childhood in California and I like kale.  That pile of kale was moistened with oil, chilli and soy and then turned into delicious kale chips in the dehydrator. :smt055

• Like 1