Shuley

Party cooking question.

I agree with Tekobo. It's one thing if you're being paid, then you should cater to the client, even if they have bad taste - it's their money after all. But, if you're doing it as a "favor," then don't pander to these fools and cook them bad food because they don't know any better. My advice, cook the tri-tips to medium, as they should be. If folks complain that it's "raw," then show them where the microwave is and say "have at it!" Then, it's completely on them when they screw it up. You never know, you might make a convert or two on what meat is supposed to taste like, versus a hockey puck! Which, by the way, would be an awesome way to present them - cook a couple of tri-tips to well done, plate them along with a ring of hockey pucks around the exterior of the platter! :smt003

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, tekobo said:

I love the way this is working: someone tells everyone what a good cook you are, then they choose what you cook and how you cook it, you cook it but are disappointed by the results and they just get the crap they have always eaten and wonder why anyone thought you were any good at cooking. 

Noooo.  You know what is good on your KK, what you are good at and what people usually like.  Challenge their tastes, mix it up and do what you think is right or don't do it at all.  There is nothing worse than feeling crap after a cook when you were hoping to make people happy but it doesn't work out as planned.

Of course you are also free to ignore bossy old me!

I see where you are coming from, but the only thing worse than cooking exactly what they ask for and having them think "This wasn't any better than I could do" would be to cook it the way you think they should eat it and having them either A. not try it at all because it doesn't look like what they are used to or B. try it and not like it.

Sure, I don't disagree with you at all @cschaaf.  I am not about forcing people to eat stuff they don't like.  We build an instinct for what people like about the food we cook and we learn to tailor that to different audiences and circumstances.  What doesn't work is being forced to cook the wrong thing for the tool and time that you have.  

• Like 1

Just a thought...

You could smoke the ribs for 3 hours, hold them, then wrap them and put them in the oven low and slow for an hour or 2, then glaze them back on the KK for 30-60 minutes.

During the hold and oven time you cook the tri-tips...

When they are wrapped they don't know what the heat source is....taste and texture is unchanged from being wrapped on charcoal. Almost all competition ribs get wrapped.

• Like 1

Thank you for all of the responses. 

My dear friend loves my cooking... And she is typically down for anything I cook.  Except pork.  She has a weird thing that she won't eat pork because pigs don't sweat.  She said "hey I want to talk to you about something.  I am throwing a 50th party for my husband". My instant reply was "and you want me to make brisket" and she said "no I was wondering if you would help me.". I agreed and then she told me those were his favorites.  I should add that They eat tri tip medium rare-medium.  It's not them.  She didn't even say they wanted some well done.  We just have different lunch periods and so I eat with a lot of people who are at work and I know would be there who will not touch beef that is not well done.  We have had numerous discussions about it.  These people actually asked me why I have never had them over for dinner (although I did smoke a turkey for friends giving) and I replied that they wouldn't eat my food. I actually cooked ribs for mothers day and because they were a little thinner than normal they finished about and hour early.  So I wrapped them and thought it would hold just fine.  They were disgusting. So I am really hesitant to do ribs for a crowd.  They did not hold well at all. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shuley said:

I actually cooked ribs for mothers day and because they were a little thinner than normal they finished about and hour early.  So I wrapped them and thought it would hold just fine.  They were disgusting. So I am really hesitant to do ribs for a crowd.  They did not hold well at all. 

Really odd?? Can you provide more details - how did you hold them. What was "disgusting" about them? 

Try my pressure cooker ribs. Pressure cook them for 20 minutes and then finish them on the kk. An hour on the kk will do it and maybe less. You have a few months to trial run it and perfect it. When the ribs are done wrap in paper so they can breathe a little and pack with towels in a cooler. Now knock out the tri tips.

• Thanks 1