Shuley

London/Iceland good questions.

I figured you fine people might have some suggestions for me.  My family (myself, husband, and two boys aged 4 and 8) will be having out vacation in London and Iceland (reykjavik) and while it looks like plenty to do... I am curious about any must eats while we are there.  I know the British are known for their baked goods so we will be sampling those as often as possible. Any other foods we should seek out.  Probably not any fine dining, as our 4 year old is generally very good in restaurants but doesn't quite have Michelin manners. 

My parents were recently in Iceland. They said food was extremely expensive - so just be prepared. They aren't fancy restaurant people at all and said they went places that were $30 for a simple chicken breast meal. They ate a lot of hot dogs, which are apparently kind of a national dish there. They said the hot dogs were very good and the most affordable meals - about $4-5 for just a hot dog.

They ended up going to a grocery store and eating a lot of cereal lol

I went to Tripadvisor and looked for their recommendations in the cheapest category. Picked some random restaurants and clicked through to check prices. 

Burger place - hamburger, fries and a drink ($18.59), shake ($8.80)

Kebab place - donar ($18.10), grilled chicken salad (22.40), 12" Margareta pizza ($24.36)

Not trying to scare you off, just want to make sure you are aware. My parents were not. lol

WOW - that's very pricey! 

While the Brits are infamous for their bad food (boiled meats, etc.), go for the "classics" while you're there - find a local fish & chips shop, eat some good Indian curry, have a pasty for lunch and, most importantly, drink lots of good ales in the pubs! :occasion5:

:smt038 What fun!  London is a great city to visit.  You must use buses when you can and sit on the top deck so you can look around.  There are online apps that plot routes and the buses have screens on board that tell you the upcoming stop so you can get off at the right stop.  

So...food.  @tony b is wrong about the boiled meat but right about curries and fish and chips.  A Sunday roast with all the trimmings is also typically British - it's the continentals who boil their meat.  You can combine a trip to a gastro pub for a roast with a chance to sample the ales.  

My favourite casual-ish eats in London are these:

Konditor and Cook - great cake shop.  German.

Barrafina - fantastic tapas and you sit at the counter, watching them cook your food.  No appointment system but if you turn up about 15 mins before they are due to open, the queues are very short and you get seated quickly.  Spanish.

Nandos - casual, grilled chicken chain.  South African/Portugese.

Oklava - fab upmarket Turkish restaurant.  I love the food here.  I have also asked a friend who knows more to tell me her favourite local Turkish restaurant.  If your family like grilled meat I think a typical local Turkish restaurant will be a great thing to try.

Dishoom - a chain of restaurants that do small plates.  Surprisingly good.  Modern Indian.  

Kulu kulu - revolving sushi bar in the heart of Soho.  I haven't been there in a long time but used to love it.  There are lots of other Japanese nearby so pick one of them if you like sushi and your guide says they are better.

Well, as you can see, we embrace all nationalities' food here.  If you make it to the South Bank there are lots of food trucks and lovely places to sit outdoors. There are wild gardens on the top of the National Theatre and Queen Elizabeth Hall.  

I live about 1.5hours' journey from London by the sea near Portsmouth.  You would be very welcome to come down to see the sea, our historic sites and eat off our KKs if you have time.  If not, and I happen to be visiting London when you are, I can bring you a KK care package.  Brisket, anyone?

• Like 2

Sounds great. We lived in London for 3 years. Despite what people say, you can find some great restaurants out there. Some pubs had great food as well. I wish I could recommend places but it’s over 10 years ago now. That all said, I couldn’t handle warm beer...

We had some of the best seafood in iceland. We managed to get to a restaurant and the chef said to us, don’t worry about the menu. I will cook you something up. He cooked up some fresh fish cheeks - must have been a big fish as there was a lot of flesh. We also had a few side dishes. Had some great adventures there. We also chased the northern lights. I managed to get some great shots with my digital slr at the time where digital slr’s were rare. I remember having to wrap the camera in my scarf as It was so cold. Some great sites to see in Iceland. 

Have fun

• Like 1

Thank you for all of your recommendations! Especially tekobo.  We are definitely looking forward to exploring London and have lots of ideas of what to do.... Its awesome to have some foods to need to try.  I'm particularly interested in the tapas place and the modern Indian food.  We love Indian food. Where we live, most of the Indian population is from the punjab region, so it would be very interesting to try other types of Indian food! 

• Like 1

When we went to London around six years ago, we went for lunch to a seafood restaurant in the financial district called "Sweetings", apparently opened in 1830. I had some of the best fish of my life, and some wonderful shellfish. Really great experience - not a tourist place, felt very old school British. I tried something I had to ask what it was, called "Bubble and Squeak", with a name like that, I just had to try it. As I remember, it was a combination of potatoes and cabbage(?), and I liked it very much. Apparently that is a classic British side? Maybe @tekobo can shed more light on that. 

We also enjoyed London's Chinatown very much also, went on a dumpling crawl! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, amusedtodeath said:

I tried something I had to ask what it was, called "Bubble and Squeak", with a name like that, I just had to try it. As I remember, it was a combination of potatoes and cabbage(?), and I liked it very much. Apparently that is a classic British side? Maybe @tekobo can shed more light on that. 

Ha ha.  I love that this African immigrant is getting to comment on classic British food.  A bit like when I used to represent England at a regular four countries meeting that included an Englishman who represented Wales, a Scot and a Northern Irish representative with an incomprehensible (to me) accent.  I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere.  It made me giggle inside anyway.

Bubble and squeak is a meal made up of left overs from Sunday that was made and eaten on washday Mondays when mum was too busy to cook a proper meal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

London and Essex are my old haunts before I moved to Perth.

As the others have said, there is plenty to do in London and lots of great places to eat.

The one place I always go to when I’m back in London is Pitt Cue Co, they are a bbq joint with a twist, they do some fantastic dishes that are a little different, but every one I’ve tried has been amazing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alimac23 said:

The one place I always go to when I’m back in London is Pitt Cue Co, they are a bbq joint with a twist, they do some fantastic dishes that are a little different, but every one I’ve tried has been amazing.

I second that.  I haven't actually been to Pitt Cue Co but I rely heavily on their cookbook for learning how to BBQ and their rubs and sides are awesome.  

I second that.  I haven't actually been to Pitt Cue Co but I rely heavily on their cookbook for learning how to BBQ and their rubs and sides are awesome.  

I’ve been to two of their locations, the first time they were in this tiny little place that barely held 25 people, then the last time we went they were in the premises the are in now.

It’s BBQ food but it’s so good, you have to get a side of bone marrow mash if you go, actually get one of everything it’s so damn good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, alimac23 said:

It’s BBQ food but it’s so good, you have to get a side of bone marrow mash if you go, actually get one of everything it’s so damn good!!

4 hours ago, alimac23 said:

I second how good the cookbook is @tekobo I use it a lot to make up rubs and sauces when our team cooks in BBQ comps.

First of all - Bone marrow mash...omg, I want some of that! :smt055.  Second, what is the name of the book? Sounds like a must-have...

1042837524_36wI9KcxTyutVxCB0DSXQ.thumb.jpg.70e912ff6b8bfc2cfdad482d763b53f6.jpg

The things I do for you.  I was due to meet a good friend tonight after meetings in London.  We were booked into Oklava, one of our favourites.  When I read of bone marrow mash, thank you @allmac23, I felt it was my duty to investigate on behalf of all of us.  My friend was happy to go to Pitt Cue instead because a) she had been to the old Pitt Cue restaurant and loved it and b) she is the one who started me on this road by giving me the Pitt Cue Co book as a present in the first place.  

Yes, bone marrow mash is a very good thing.  As was the rest of the menu.    

• Like 2