tquando

Burnt ends?

I have been hankering for a brisket and now have whole packer wagyu in the freeze waiting to be cooked.   I have never made burnt ends and stumbled upon this recipe 

https://heygrillhey.com/bbq-brisket-burnt-ends/

This recipe makes the case for separating the point and flat before cooking and I am wondering a if anyone has experience doing this or any advice on burnt ends.  They seem to get rave reviews!

Personally, I don’t see the point of separating the point if doing a whole brisket. Just trim it, smoke it, and if doing burnt ends, separate the point while holding the flat after it probes tender. Cube the point, add more rub, some sauce, toss it all up, then back into the smoke until they look the way you want them. I like mine to have a bit of extra bark, so typically another two hours at least. 

Hey grill is great .trim your brisket and cut the seem of fat from the point to the flat that way you have a reference point and will be easier to cut away from the flat .I've found the seem runs different on the point and flat make a couple of knife marks on the point to help you latter and cut a corner on the flat so you know what angle to cut against the grain .if you can get hold of some butcher paper .for resting or wrapping that would be good .i done a small brisket the other day followed by burnt ends .easy to do whilst your brisket is resting

Outback kamado Bar and Grill