ckreef

WFO Baking in the Rain

Wanted to try some Artisanal bread in the WFO but expecting an afternoon thunder shower. Can I get the bake in before the rain? 

Nope!!! 

Bread dough is rising and looking good. Got the oven up to temp with a really nice bed of coals and then the thunder came. I knew what was about to happen so I threw 3 decent pieces of wood on the coals, closed the door with the bottom vent open. Now I just needed to sit back on the porch drinking a few beers while the thunder shower passed. 

At this point it's raining pretty good and we're cruising along at about 600*.  The WFO didn't even know it was raining. 

WFOrainA.thumb.jpg.3e0e80fd54c2b8c42aa341a75078d088.jpg

The rain passed and the bread went on. This was a sort of screwed up recipe but I think it does have potential. I'll tweak it a bit and try again. I should have left it in the oven another 5-10 minutes. 

WFOrainB.thumb.jpg.33016bf023526a591f0239f94cdf2a2f.jpg

WFOrainC.thumb.jpg.227a954f8612a9487729c42b0a428957.jpg

Playing with live fire is definitely a learning curve but I think I'm starting to get an idea on how to make it work. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Isn't that all part of the fun, the learning curve. I like it.:) 

Yea it was relaxing. Sitting on the porch watching it rain drinking a cold one. Meanwhile Mrs skreef's corned beef brisket was happily cooking away in the KK. Good times. 

And yes the learning curve is the fun part. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stile88 said:

Looks great ck isnt all new toys a learning curve lol but thats half the fun indeed

Definitely a learning curve with this one. But yes that's the fun part and the satisfaction when finally start getting a handle on it. 

• Thanks 1

What the heck is vegemite?

Hahaha it’s what a lot of us Aussies grew up with. It’s a pretty gross spread you put on toast or something to mask it’s disgusting taste hahaha
I could never handle it but a lot of people love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Should I try it? I’m going to say no from just looking at that emoji at the end of your amswer:)

Hard to tell from that emoji whether the projectile is coming or going. I think that’s a “Hoover” emoji and Tony is encouraging you to down a whole jar in one sitting. That’s my take. 

• Haha 2