tekobo

There is a corner of Italy that is forever...Australia?

@Aussie Ora, subliminal pusher?? I was stood in a shop in Padova kicking my heels while The Husband looked at grog and pasta, waiting to get to the next bar with yummy snacks when I saw this:

eSbSLfrhSWG5akec1ol18A.thumb.jpg.847b1506a574d3723c716f84e6585638.jpg

Really? Vegemite AND Marmite in the heart of Italy?  I think I need a drink...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

[mention=2714]Aussie Ora[/mention], subliminal pusher?? I was stood in a shop in Padova kicking my heels while The Husband looked at grog and pasta, waiting to get to the next bar with yummy snacks when I saw this:
img]<a href=http://komodokamadoforum.com/uploads/monthly_2018_05/eSbSLfrhSWG5akec1ol18A.thumb.jpg.847b1506a574d3723c716f84e6585638.jpg' alt='eSbSLfrhSWG5akec1ol18A.thumb.jpg.847b1506a574d3723c716f84e6585638.jpg'>

Really? Vegemite AND Marmite in the heart of Italy?  I think I need a drink...

Lol who said the Italians had no taste

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

6 hours ago, Syzygies said:

There was a lot of Italian migration to Australia, and some backwash. I'm most aware of Calabrians, but Padova, why not?

I didn't hang around the Vegemite long enough to find out whether anyone bought it or where they might be from.  Padova is a tourist town but we didn't encounter many non-Italians on our bar crawl last night.  Other than the people, it was a pretty international night.  My first cocktail was a Mex Mule - tequila based with the ginger taste amped to the max by the addition of some chilli.  My last cocktail of the night was made by an Italian bartender called Michael.  Once we had exhausted my limited Italian we moved on to German and he made me an even mehr lecker Amaretto Sour.  Throughout the evening our drinks were accompanied by delicious Italian treats on bread.  

And then I made the mistake of ordering wings and ribs at an American bar to end the night.  Wings covered in orange plastic cheese in Italy just doesn't work!  I will be happy to get back to my KKs tomorrow.  On the list to try is the BBQ marmite chicken wings recipe that I found this morning.

• Like 6

I didn't hang around the Vegemite long enough to find out whether anyone bought it or where they might be from.  Padova is a tourist town but we didn't encounter many non-Italians on our bar crawl last night.  Other than the people, it was a pretty international night.  My first cocktail was a Mex Mule - tequila based with the ginger taste amped to the max by the addition of some chilli.  My last cocktail of the night was made by an Italian bartender called Michael.  Once we had exhausted my limited Italian we moved on to German and he made me an even mehr lecker Amaretto Sour.  Throughout the evening our drinks were accompanied by delicious Italian treats on bread.  
And then I made the mistake of ordering wings and ribs at an American bar to end the night.  Wings covered in orange plastic cheese in Italy just doesn't work!  I will be happy to get back to my KKs tomorrow.  On the list to try is the BBQ marmite chicken wings recipe that I found this morning.

Can I hang out with you for a day .promise I will leave the vegemite at home lol

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Can I hang out with you for a day .promise I will leave the vegemite at home lol

Hey, you seem to be influencing my food choices from afar so you might as well turn up and do it in person!  You might have saved me from myself when it came to ordering those horrible wings and ribs last night.  

So, the deal is that sometime in the next five years I will make it to Perth or you and Dee have to make it to the UK or somewhere in Europe where we can eat and drink to our heart's content.  :smt098

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tekobo said:

On the list to try is the BBQ marmite chicken wings recipe that I found this morning.

Get the F out! You gotta share this one with us, not that I'm ever going to make it, but I'm just curious as hell to see it!! :shock:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ha ha ha ha.  No @Paul, I haven't lost a bet.  However, I got home last night and realised that my plan to buy chicken wings for Marmite and thighs for jerk chicken has to be put on hold.  The freezer is rammed with my new Italian purchases and I am due a whole mutton sheep and two beef rumps in the next month.  Help!!

So the plan now is to make a Marmite rub for ribs and jerk pork sometime in the next week or so.  I will report back honestly on the former.  Having remembered how much I loved the Marmite butter I am hopeful that this will be a good experiment.  Another thing to try is yeast ice-cream.  No, the Italians haven't gone and broken with tradition.  We crossed the border into Slovenia and had the yeast ice cream at a nice restaurant.  I think it will be cool (excuse the pun) with something sour like gooseberries or rhubarb.  I do draw the line at Marmite pizza though.  One for @Pequod to pioneer methinks.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1