Syzygies

Moroccan Tangia

market.thumb.jpeg.72edf483d356bcb036465e554fe4d8ca.jpegprep.thumb.jpeg.e76ee8aeaac13ba4d25b5ebb90b24a2a.jpegtied.thumb.jpeg.c7f9f9656d9059debbfa1a2f7b1300d1.jpeg

I'm just back from a terrific two weeks in Morocco, keen on new ideas for using my KK.

Tangia is a specialty of Marrakech. The pot shown has a two quart volume, but is intended for only a half kilo of meat. The idea is that others will handle the pot, not knowing the contents, but trusting that the pot can be placed at an angle. For example, the top photo shows tangias being reheated over charcoal for serving, at stall 97 in Jemaa el-Fnaa square in the Marrakech medina.

A typical recipe that fits nicely, if one isn't going to tip the pot shown (two quarts capacity), is: 4 cloves crushed garlic, 1/4 preserved lemon seeded and finely chopped, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp turmeric, pinch saffron, 1 Tb butter, 1 1/2 Tb olive oil, salt and pepper, 800g beef (chuck roast from the end that becomes rib eye?), 1/2 bunch tied cilantro, 3/4 cup water. Mix all but the cilantro and water, marinate in the fridge overnight (I vacuum packed), then add the rest and cook all day till melting and sauce reduced. One will surely need to adjust the water to one's technique.

Tangia is traditionally made by men. The idea is that they own the pot (or they buy a new one for $2). A butcher that provides the beef or lamb will also include the rest of the recipe, in a matter of seconds. One then takes the pot to a bathhouse, where for 10 cents the person handling the bathhouse fire will also tend these pots in the ashes for the day. This is in the same spirit as the communal ovens I saw everywhere (and where I baked the bread from one of my classes), except at a lower temperature.

My KK was still 200 F from last night's chicken. It was easy to add more lump charcoal in a pile against one side, set the guru to 275 F for now (to turn down once the pot heats), and leave this for tonight's dinner.

In the footsteps of Dennis our spiritual leader, who teaches us by example the confidence to embrace life and see everything through to its logical conclusion, I'm signed up for pottery classes nearby in Concord, CA. If one isn't going to tip a tangia, one would prefer a modified form to use in a KK. There are many other shapes I'd need to commission if I didn't learn how to make them. Earthenware in the KK is a great way to invoke the holy trinity that birthed our species of food, clay, and fire. After learning partially glazed earthenware I hope to move to New Mexico mica clay, which is close to indestructible. This is the same clay as La Chamba pots, or Moroccan Souss tagines. The Pueblo people of New Mexico perfected this form of pottery, and the clay is available now.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Wow, that is interesting and the best part is soon we will be able to order our clay pots from Syzygies. :smt060

Pottery takes lots of practice. One hears music, or eats food, and it's gone. Pottery needs people willing to pay postage, or else I'm going to end up with a clay pot graveyard in the corner of my garden. Just describe what you want, and don't expect it to last forever in use till I move to mica clay. In Morocco they use high flames, expect everything to eventually crack, and go out and spend another $2.

• Like 1

I'm soooo jealous, Syz. :smt110 Morocco is in my top 5 bucket list destinations. I love the food, music and culture. I can only vaguely imagine how wonderful the spice markets smell!! I just ordered more Ras El Hanout and preserved lemons for an eggplant tagine that I promised a friend for dinner next week. Not enough time to make my own lemons, which I usually do. I was surprised that I didn't have a jar in the pantry? However, I do draw the line at Smen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Syzygies said:

Earthenware in the KK is a great way to invoke the holy trinity that birthed our species of food, clay, and fire. After learning partially glazed earthenware I hope to move to New Mexico mica clay, which is close to indestructible. This is the same clay as La Chamba pots, or Moroccan Souss tagines. The Pueblo people of New Mexico perfected this form of pottery, and the clay is available now.

I am looking forward to seeing the results of your efforts @Syzygies.  Do you know anything about the donabe style of pots?  There are different styles for different types of cooking and the Japanese appear to have a long tradition of pottery making. Interested to know how this might differ from the Moroccan tradition.  

50 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Do you know anything about the donabe style of pots?

Oh, I crave a set of donabe pots. The best source I know is Toiro Kitchen, as recommended by Donabe: Classic and Modern Japanese Clay Pot Cooking.

From what I've seen, donabes are very advanced to make. Either decades of practice, or use mold supports while spinning. Of course, there's a contemporary world of pottery merged with 3D printing now, either for slip casting or to directly fire the 3D results. This is in its infancy, but I'd like to have a traditional formulation.

1 hour ago, Syzygies said:

Oh, I crave a set of donabe pots.

You and me both!  The link you sent looks fabulous but, like you, I like the idea of trying to make something to meet one's own specification.  I was introduced to donabes by a local potter friend who once made one for her son.  When I asked her to make me a tasting spoon like @MacKenzie's she made me come round and spend an afternoon in her studio trying to make one myself.  It was fun but my creations were rather crude.  I think I need to remind her that she is the professional and that I respect her for that and then maybe, just maybe, she will make me a good spoon and one day a home grown donabe.  I think it will be fun trying even if we don't have the history and knowledge to replicate the Japanese standard.  

• Like 1

I was going to get the Larger one but decided to get the 3 cup one because that’s all I ever make is 2 cups of rice no sense paying extra for a large cooker that I don’t use that much.  In fact I shouldn’t even be eating rice anyway but I like race better than potatoes.  Tony how did you season your’s? 

2 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

I was going to get the Larger one but decided to get the 3 cup one because that’s all I ever make is 2 cups of rice no sense paying extra for a large cooker that I don’t use that much.  In fact I shouldn’t even be eating rice anyway but I like race better than potatoes.  Tony how did you season your’s? 

Not to hi-jack the thread..................Followed the directions and soaked overnight with rice & water.  Have the 2 & 3 cup. Use the 3 cup the most.  

• Thanks 1