sfdrew28

Griddle?

Thanks. Looks nice. After viewing the video I think I might want something larger to cover four of my six burners. Not sure that would then fit in the grill. Argh.

I actually think for me the indoor cooking will be used ten times more than than the grill. Mostly large breakfasts and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had this cast iron griddle for years.  Bought it in a hardware store in France and so cannot offer a handy Amazon link but I thought the features might help with your choice @sfdrew28.

It is 16" square and is reversible e.g. for eggs on the smooth side and steak and the ribbed side.  The best thing of all is the lip all around the outside.  It means you don't get excess oil or liquid slopping over the edge when you are cooking.  It sits on a centre burner in the IDK and fits snuggly but well in the 23" KK.

fullsizeoutput_93c.thumb.jpeg.1103bf3ea2cab512dac9febc724314e8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_93b.thumb.jpeg.54dd225fe6125bcf661b73ad89768ed0.jpeg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chanly1983 said:

Here is picture of my 18”x14” baking steel griddle. It covers 2 side burners and my large center burner. I will let you know how it fits in my 32” KK when it arrives tomorrow.

I’d be shocked if it didn’t fit, but good to check. I routinely do two 14” pizzas side by side in my 32, so that steel should fit nicely on any level. Have I mentioned lately how much I love my 32? :headbang:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chanly1983 said:

@MacKenzie I believe it was your recommendation for me to get one :) and I am looking forward to smash burgers on it!

@Pequod have you made any bread on one of these?

I’ve done pitas in the oven, English muffins on the stovetop, and plenty of pizzas on the KK with the steel. For longer cooking breads I prefer Dennis’s baking stone. Can’t beat the pizza crust off the steel, though. 

Smash burgers, here we come.

The KK gets hotter for pizza than my oven and I find if I use the Baking Steel for KK pizza the bottom crust get more done than I like it. On the other hand using the KK baking stone the top and bottom are done at the same time. I tend to load my pizzas so that makes a difference in the baking. 

My BS lives on my stove top just as you have pictured. 

Edited by MacKenzie

I'm a proud owner of 1/4" (wife friendly) and 1/2" (wonderful overkill) round Baking Steels. 3/8" is in hindsight the sweet spot.

After my recent trip to Morocco, I've gone all in on clay cookware. There, they treat them like woks, and when they crack after a year of the inevitable heat stress, restaurants just go down the street and buy ten more for a song. I decided to get some heat diffusers to use on my gas range, to protect and extend my clay cookware lifespans. I remember the commonly available heat diffusers stateside as total jokes. What I wanted was smaller versions of a Baking Steel, which I found on eBay:

eBay 3/8" A36 discs from carbon steel plate

The quality is very nearly that of a Baking Steel. The edges don't draw blood. There's a mild burr one could remove, where the circle cut stopped; one could remove this or ignore it. Most importantly for anyone who has Googled the hassles in removing the surface coating from steel plates available in standard channels: These don't appear to be coated at all.

I sanded with 600 grit black sandpaper, scrubbed with Barkeeper's Friend, rinsed completely, and then seasoned with thin coats of lard over a high flame. This is roughly the Baking Steel method; they use flaxseed oil, popularized by a famous blog post back in the day. The original use was for cast iron pans, that have a texture that holds the polymerized flaxseed oil in place. I found that it flaked off smoother surfaces like woks, unless one simulated actual restaurant use by introducing food starches with the oil. Lard is just easier, and the traditional Asian approach.

(As a mathematician I can fight well above my weight class by religiously classifying other people's modes of thought. Logic can be a crippling disease. The reasoning here, "Gee Willikers! Seasoning works because the oil polymerizes! I'll just figure out which oil polymerizes the most, and use that, ignoring any other details of the thousands of years of practice figured out by civilization!" is questionable. A good comparison would be discovering that THC is an active ingredient in cannabis, ignoring the hundreds of minor compounds that create an entourage effect, giving different strains recognizably different effects. Here, nothing seasons a pan like lending it to a busy restaurant for a week. The various food starches are the entourage effect.)

One must do something even for a heat diffuser, as carbon steel rusts, and direct flame is a harsh environment. For use in larger sizes as an actual griddle, of course one seasons.

metals.png.096946248ac16aba15bf3ae5d51953e9.png

Of course, a copper disc just thick enough to not warp would perform much better than my 1/4" thick carbon steel. Aluminum performs 3x worse than copper, while carbon steel performs 8x worse than copper. Copper would even look nice; it's just expensive. Aluminum is the way to go for a heat diffuser, if one doesn't mind the look of aluminum.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 3

I'm a proud owner of 1/4" (wife friendly) and 1/2" (wonderful overkill) round Baking Steels. 3/8" is in hindsight the sweet spot.
After my recent trip to Morocco, I've gone all in on clay cookware. There, they treat them like woks, and when they crack after a year of the inevitable heat stress, restaurants just go down the street and buy ten more for a song. I decided to get some heat diffusers to use on my gas range, to protect and extend my clay cookware lifespans. I remember the commonly available heat diffusers stateside as total jokes. What I wanted was smaller versions of a Baking Steel, which I found on eBay:
eBay 3/8" A36 discs from carbon steel plate
The quality is very nearly that of a Baking Steel. The edges don't draw blood. There's a mild burr one could remove, where the circle cut stopped; one could remove this or ignore it. Most importantly for anyone who has Googled the hassles in removing the surface coating from steel plates available in standard channels: These don't appear to be coated at all.
I sanded with 600 grit black sandpaper, scrubbed with Barkeeper's Friend, rinsed completely, and then seasoned with thin coats of lard over a high flame. This is roughly the Baking Steel method; they use flaxseed oil, popularized by a famous blog post back in the day. The original use was for cast iron pans, that have a texture that holds the polymerized flaxseed oil in place. I found that it flaked off smoother surfaces like woks, unless one simulated actual restaurant use by introducing food starches with the oil. Lard is just easier, and the traditional Asian approach.
(As a mathematician I can fight well above my weight class by religiously classifying other people's modes of thought. Logic can be a crippling disease. The reasoning here, "Gee Willikers! Seasoning works because the oil polymerizes! I'll just figure out which oil polymerizes the most, and use that, ignoring any other details of the thousands of years of practice figured out by civilization!" is questionable. A good comparison would be discovering that THC is an active ingredient in cannabis, ignoring the hundreds of minor compounds that create an entourage effect, giving different strains recognizably different effects. Here, nothing seasons a pan like lending it to a busy restaurant for a week. The various food starches are the entourage effect.)
One must do something even for a heat diffuser, as carbon steel rusts, and direct flame is a harsh environment. For use in larger sizes as an actual griddle, of course one seasons.
metals.png.096946248ac16aba15bf3ae5d51953e9.png
Of course, a copper disc just thick enough to not warp would perform much better than my 1/4" thick carbon steel. Aluminum performs 3x worse than copper, while carbon steel performs 8x worse than copper. Copper would even look nice; it's just expensive. Aluminum is the way to go for a heat diffuser, if one doesn't mind the look of aluminum.
Love how you simplify everything lol.your knowledge has amazed me opened my eyes

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1