sfdrew28

Griddle?

On 6/12/2018 at 8:15 PM, ckreef said:

@Syzygies I would love to see some pictures of your clay cookware. Me and Mrs skreef have recently contemplated buying a home kiln so we can fire our own custom sized cookware.

@KismetKamado why are you confused by my post? Yea a bit off topic but custom made ceramic dishes would be the bomb. Home kilns are only marginally expensive. Compared to all the high end outdoor cooking appliances I have a home kiln and everything needed to make custom ceramic would not be that expensive.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 5:15 PM, ckreef said:

@Syzygies I would love to see some pictures of your clay cookware. Me and Mrs skreef have recently contemplated buying a home kiln so we can fire our own custom sized cookware.

@ckreef Will do! While I'm using a community pottery studio (worth it for cleanup issues alone; they recycle the old clay and have barrels of cleanup water to avoid choking drain pipes), everyone there is into decorative glazed pottery. Even their standard bisque firing temperature is high for ideal cookware: In any earthenware pot exposed to direct flame, a higher kiln temperature makes the pot less prone to cracking when dropped, while a lower kiln temperature makes the pot less prone to cracking when exposed to flame.

I take this advice with a bit of skepticism. First, one can buy heat diffusers as carbon steel disks from eBay, for a song. Second, many cultures have worked out curing clay pots to improve heat durability; simply soaking a pot that hasn't been recently used makes a big difference. All that a correct kiln temperature does is improve the odds and longevity. One needs to think like a Moroccan: when the pot inevitably breaks, go buy another one for $4. Add two or three zeros to that price for the best New Mexico pottery, and I can understand why people are careful.

To put kiln temperatures on this, think of a leading zero on a firing "cone" temperature as a minus sign (you know this, but other readers might not). From cone 1 (final temp 2109 F) temperatures climb to cone 10 (final temp 2381 F) or descend to cone 04 (final temp 1971 F), cone 010 (final temp 1679 F) and so forth. My studio bisque fires to cone 04, and glaze fires to cone 10. The Mica Red Low fire (018 to 04) that I want to master needs to be fired cone 010 to 017 for cookware. No one else is doing this, so I'll need to pay for entire kiln runs in their smallest electric kiln, just to fire a few pots at a time.

We haven't discussed this cost yet, but the place is price-conscious and assumes everyone is. I'm asking myself how many times I can run their kiln before it makes more sense to buy a $1,000 kiln to use at home. If one is willing to commit to low-firings only, such kilns are simpler and cost less for their size. I'm picturing one piece at a time, and I don't want to limit diameter (14" ??) or height (12" ??). The smallest kilns are clearly only for mugs and such.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Syzygies said:

@ckreef Will do! While I'm using a community pottery studio (worth it for cleanup issues alone; they recycle the old clay and have barrels of cleanup water to avoid choking drain pipes), everyone there is into decorative glazed pottery. Even their standard bisque firing temperature is high for ideal cookware: In any earthenware pot exposed to direct flame, a higher kiln temperature makes the pot less prone to cracking when dropped, while a lower kiln temperature makes the pot less prone to cracking when exposed to flame.

I take this advice with a bit of skepticism. First, one can buy heat diffusers as carbon steel disks from eBay, for a song. Second, many cultures have worked out curing clay pots to improve heat durability; simply soaking a pot that hasn't been recently used makes a big difference. All that a correct kiln temperature does is improve the odds and longevity. One needs to think like a Moroccan: when the pot inevitably breaks, go buy another one for $4. Add two or three zeros to that price for the best New Mexico pottery, and I can understand why people are careful.

To put kiln temperatures on this, think of a leading zero on a firing "cone" temperature as a minus sign (you know this, but other readers might not). From cone 1 (final temp 2109 F) temperatures climb to cone 10 (final temp 2381 F) or descend to cone 04 (final temp 1971 F), cone 010 (final temp 1679 F) and so forth. My studio bisque fires to cone 04, and glaze fires to cone 10. The Mica Red Low fire (018 to 04) that I want to master needs to be fired cone 010 to 017 for cookware. No one else is doing this, so I'll need to pay for entire kiln runs in their smallest electric kiln, just to fire a few pots at a time.

We haven't discussed this cost yet, but the place is price-conscious and assumes everyone is. I'm asking myself how many times I can run their kiln before it makes more sense to buy a $1,000 kiln to use at home. If one is willing to commit to low-firings only, such kilns are simpler and cost less for their size. I'm picturing one piece at a time, and I don't want to limit diameter (14" ??) or height (12" ??). The smallest kilns are clearly only for mugs and such.

Really great post. This is just a beginning thought in our brain. We've done a little looking on the internet but figured later this summer (after vacation) we would start more serious research into this idea. 

If you could start a new thread when you post a few pictures I would appreciate it. 

• Like 1

[mention=3133]sfdrew28[/mention] Let me know what you think about this griddle after you use it a few times. Thanks.
Jon

e439e9cd90862357bec0d80352613a6c.heic6bcabd939b9ecfca4b7848b09fa1e76e.heic

Third time and I’m starting to get it seasoned. I love it!!! Made these awesome cheesesteaks. It doesn’t have a grease trap but I just scrape it up when done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5